About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Freedom Marchers 2015   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 8/23/15 by ModDee; 1942395 views.
Callyf

Mar-1

Well hello to you both, Marge and Steve, my wonderful quit buddies, it's been a long time....However, I'm still here and I'm still quit. I'm sure you are too. I hope this finds you both well and the whole COVID business has not affected your lives too badly. 

I celebrated my 6 year milestone with a very hilly 5 mile run this morning, something I only used to dream of... I'm on the wine this evening though, celebrating in style. 

CC to Gersheps
Gersheps

Mar-1

Hi, Carol,

Thanks for reminding me.  I'll always remember you as a great quit buddy, and I'm glad to see you are getting good exercise.  Covid hasn't bothered me, other than having to wear a mask even outdoors (which I don't) and having fewer places open in town.

In the unlikely event that you are foolish enough to take up smoking again, my quit didn't come in time.  I'm getting radiation for Stage 1 Small Cell Lung Cancer.  They caught it in time, and it will take 4 treatments of high-dose radiation to kill it.  No symptoms, and I feel fine.  Medicare gives people with a history of smoking, and have quit, a free CT scan every year, for early detection.  You know what they say: Play stupid Games, Win stupid Prizes.

Steve

CC to slowblumer
slowblumer

Mar-1

Hi Laura,

I want to congratulate you on over 6 years of  freedom.  So sorry I forgot initially.   I also forgot Steve's anniversary but  yesterday Mod Sue contacted me about him and I thought, oh wow how could I have forgotten Laura's in February.

I think it's just so much going on and the stresses of life lately.  Anyway, cheers to you for staying the course and remembering , not one puff.

slowblumer

Mar-1

Hi Carol,

Glad you are well and smoke free.  Congratulations on 6 big years.

Anyway I am celebrating with you.  One day at a time sure adds up.

SueP (josep2001)

Mar-1

HI Laura,

I am coming with my head hanging low as I discovered I did not acknowledge your 6 years of smoking freedom.

It is on my phone calendar with alert set but I must have been outside or something and did not hear it.

I am so sorry.

I now have added an alert for previous day to your date, Steve's and Marge's. Also have added them to my paper calendar.

Our lives have been so busy with this Covid stuff that not even thinking of how long we have been quit smoking.

So Congratulations a little late. 

Sue - Quit 3/17/2016

Callyf

Mar-1

Sooo glad it was caught early for you and you are feeling good. That's quite a good policy. Obviously we have the NHS in the UK but that is something not screened for over here. Breast, bowel, prostate and cervical cancers all have screening programs in the hope of prevention or early detection but can't think of any others. Great to hear from you x

Callyf

Mar-1

Cheers Marge, am so proud of myself, never thought I'd get this far. I know I wouldn't be here without you and Steve though xxx

Gersheps

Mar-1

Hi, Carol,

I had the second of 4 treatments today, and I have the others the next 2 days.  Then I'm done except for the followup.  So far this has been a walk in the park, but tonight I'm really tired all of a sudden.

I don't understand why the NIH doesn't screen for early lung cancer.  Early detection is critical in this type cancer.  You don't always get symptoms when it's in the early stages.  I didn't have any, and it was only because the radiologist who read the two CT scans saw that one nodule had grown, that I'm in treatment now. By the time it gets to 3rd or 4th stage and you have symptoms, school's out, as Alice Cooper would say.  It's just as deadly as the other types you mentioned.

Please give Jay and the others each a special pat for me.

Steve

ModSue (VentasSue)

Mar-2

Hi Steve,

Sorry they're not German Shepherds (Corgi's I think) but well done on your huge achievement:

ModSue (VentasSue)

Mar-2

Heavens, I seem to have lost my touch on here.  I'll try again.

I'm so sorry to hear that you have cancer but am happy that it can be dealt with and hope that the treatment goes smoothly without too much discomfort to you.

As you know, I've not been around the Forum recently but it's great to see so many old friends still going strong.  Life seems to have taken over these days but I'm just over 5 years smoke-free and, happily, have no desire at all to smoke again.  I love the way I feel as a non-smoker and, although life still has little blips, I can deal with them easily without resorting to nicotine.  

Anyway, I won't waffle on here but it's lovely to be in touch with you again and I hope you have a good day.  I'll be thinking of you and hoping that the remainder of your treatment goes well.

Take care

Sue