About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)|Verywell.com Smoking Cessation

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

Freedom Marchers 2015   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 8/23/15 by ModDee; 313113 views.
lm2015

12/14/16

Hi everyone,

We are already in the deep freeze.  Hazardous out there to day through tomorrow mid morning.  I'll be out tomorrow morning.  When we all had to work we were out and about no matter what the weather.  

Sue,

I checked out You Tube for those walk at home aerobics.  Didn't even know anything like that existed.  I tried them, but couldn't get too far.  I'm too out of shape.  The problem is I expect too much of myself.  So, I need to just take it slow.  Seems like it will keep me busy once I get the hang of it.  I'll only do a little each day until I can build up my tolerance.  That may be months, but it's better than nothing.

They are predicting a heavy snow fall for Friday into Saturday, possible freezing rain mix in between the snow falls.  This is not going to be a good winter.  I knew we would eventually pay for all the nice weather and a mild winter last year.  My kids are supposed to come over on Saturday for our Christmas get together.  But if we get the snow they are predicting, that will need to be cancelled.  My daughter will insist and probably get mad at me, but my ex-daughter in law has a 45 minute drive in good weather and my daughter 30 minutes in good weather.  My feeling is why go out and struggle with bad roads just for a get together.  We can do it after January 1, which is normally what we do anyhow.

Marge,

You sound well prepared for the winter freeze coming up.

Steve,

Glad you have heat this year and your place is nice and warm.

I copied UK Sue.  Told her to join us.  She has been reading our thread for 2 years even though she just quit recently.  She likes Steve's sense of humor.  Although, Steve, you always make us laugh with your experiences and your good, uplifting comments.

Have a good afternoon all.

Laura

SueP (josep2001)

12/14/16

Hi Laura, 

I just came in from putting down sand on the incline from my yard to the garage/driveway. My house is up but then the yard is low and then back up. Makes it bad in winter if there is ice as we are to get starting tomorrow through Saturday/Sunday, not sure. They say minus  4 Friday morning and that does not include the wind factor. Highs only in teens net four days I think.

My craving funk passed thank goodness and have felt good the past 2 hours - hope it lasts.

If it starts getting confusing with the Sue's, I can become SueP - have been that most of my life as always a bunch of Sue's. Think I can go in and add a P. At one point there were 3 of us and all last names began with P so had to use numbers. But at work was always SueP.

You are wise to put off your family gathering if weather is bad. I am going to a concert Friday night in what used to be an old Catholic church. The guy (& his wife) who bought it a few years back puts it on, he and others perform. He does organ (he has 3 different type in there), piano, sings, very musical. I do not know how it is going to play out with the weather. Luckily it is just one block from me.

I went to grocery store and got most of what I went after except for rotis chicken - none were ready and last batch already sold out.

Well, I am going to go sit and read for awhile. Hope everyone stays safe.

Sue quit 3/17/2016  star X 8

Sueuk (breatheasy12)

12/14/16

Hi Laura

Thanks for including me. I too, am interesting in exercise. I was told by the pulmonary nurses to push myself as hard as possible.

I decided to buy myself a mini-trampolene to put in the spare bedroom. It is next to a glass dressing table and my son insisted that I move it. 

He said "for goodness sake Mum...use some common-sense. You could easily fall off and smash into the glass." 

There's some exercises on u-tube but I usually just use it for walking and marching on the spot. 

My son checks I've locked all the doors and windows....he doesn't trust me. Lol...I think it's so funny when the child becomes the sensible one. 

It sounds like we all hate being stuck inside in bad weather. 

Laura, have you tried one of those elastic bands. You can sit and use it for arms and legs. It doesn't look much but apparently effective for strengthening muscles. 

My muscles are disappearing...I don't know why. I hate not being as strong do you?

We can help each other with finding good exercises appropriate for us.

Have a good night all

Sue uk

Gersheps

12/14/16

Good Evening one and all,

We'll be getting the brutal cold starting tomorrow night, and then we have a warm-up on the weekend with snow and freezing rain in the forecast.  Then it's cold again.  I think you are right that this is going to be a bad winter.

Laura, you are probably right about postponing the get-together until the weather is better.  If you're going to be getting the freezing rain, it isn't worth the risk of driving in it.

Glad to see our group is increasing, with Sue UK and Sue upstate NY joining us.  Have a great evening everyone, and stay warm.

Steve

SueP (josep2001)

12/14/16

Yes, hope everyone stays safe and warm. Just heard on TV we might get winds of 60 mph tomorrow night along with the minus  temps - great.

Steve - it sounds like we will be getting about the same type of weather cold, wind snow then tad warmer, freeing rain and ice and then cold again next week.

Gersheps

12/14/16

Hi, Sue,

Our wind chills are forecast at -20 tomorrow, -28 Thursday night, and -31 on Friday with a high temp of +1°.  This is January weather.  I hope the rest of the winter is not going to be like this.

Steve

lm2015

12/14/16

We all have something in common now - the horrific weather.  I seem to get it first and then pass it along to you.  Temp tomorrow here will be 0 at 10 am.   7 degrees now.   Our wind kicked up this afternoon and snow was blowing badly off the roofs.  Definitely winter.

Hope everyone had a good day.  UK Sue is the only one I believe, whose weather is not as bad.

Laura

SueP (josep2001)

12/14/16

Well Steve - sounds like you will be a little warmer then I will. Hope you do not loose your power or gas  or whatever you use for heat - maybe logs? in that case you would be OK.

Our windchills tomorrow night they said would be around minus 20 - 30 but that is the only night I heard. Anyway you slice it we are going to be cold if we go out. My poor little 9 1/2 pound chiweenie better hurry and do his thing when I take him out.

Stay safe and warm

SueP (josep2001)

12/14/16

Hi everyone - yep is going to be a cold couple of days. Laura we are to have wind 50 -60 mph tomorrow evening with some snow....... hope we do not loose power. My coldest will be Friday AM at minus  They say teens during the days Thurs to Sat.

I just posted to Steve I feel sorry for my poor little Skippy with it that cold. Hope he does not have a rush call to go out so I can get him bundled up good.

Everyone stay warm and safe.

Gersheps

12/14/16

Hi, Marge,

Everything's OK here.  I'm just getting ready for the deep freeze.  How cold are you supposed to get down there?  I thought this Polar Vortex or whatever was not going to hit that far south.

Just take it easy, and don't hurt your back.  How's your arm doing?

Steve