About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Fighting February MustQuiteers 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 3/2/18 by slowblumer; 311067 views.
SueP (josep2001)

3/20/18

Good morning Marilyn,

Yes, you have to find a routine that works for you with stressing you.

Glad you are finding some clam days at this point. There will be all kinds of days, that is why they call it a roller coaster ride. You have to be ready for anything.

Hope you have a good day...sue quit 3/17/2016

Rassister

3/20/18

I am firmly belted in on this roller coaster ride.  So far today, I am enjoying the ride.  Hoping it stays that way at least for awhile.   Have a good one!!

SueP (josep2001)

3/20/18

Great Marilyn - Just hang on it is worth it.

sue quit 3/17/2016

ModSue (VentasSue)

3/20/18

Hey Suzy

Just checking in with you to see how you coping with the dreaded 'work'.  I love being retired but am not so keen on being - oops, typo, there - getting old!!  So, be careful what you wish for.

Hope you're OK.

Have a great smoke-free evening.

Suzy2018

3/20/18

Hi Becka,

Sorry for slow reply - no computer last night and I'm not like these youngsters who can do everything on their phones. Anyway, I'm really happy to hear the good news about your sister's latest appointment - that really is wonderfull!  Also glad that thinking about her helped you.  

Hope you're having a good day today.

Suzy

Suzy2018

3/20/18

HI Anthony,

Great news that you're feeling better on the one patch.  I'm still on patch and lozenges, but I have to go easy on the lozenges or they play havoc with my stomach.

As for wanting more work, oo-er - not sure about that!  On the one hand I do (money), on the other I do find it stresses me out a bit.  Also, I always used to light up as a reward after working, so that's been a bit of an uncomfortable trigger.  It was very nice to get through it without smoking though - another one bites the dust and all.

You, my dear, are also doing so well.   I read that this is now officially your longest quit - congratulations, and KEEP GOING!!!  You know it's the right decision, and you're doing brilliantly.

Suzy.

Becka (Becka1955)

3/20/18

SuzyQ!! Good to see you my dear. Glad it’s just your brokeass computer keeping you away. Oh and that thing called w.o.r.k.

Today has been good. Thank heavens not all the days are sucky, right?

I’ve been cleaning and grocery shopping. Doing some laundry. We’re getting snow overnight (first day of Spring) so I’ll probably stay home tomorrow. People don’t need me out sliding around in my car for no good reason. 

Hang in there girl!  I know work is a whole nother set of triggers to beat down. 

Suzy2018

3/20/18

Hi Caz,

You're right, this working business is a big interference in normal life, but I'm back - with a fixed computer - and I missed all of you too (just to clarify, by 'all of you', I meant all our quit buddies, not 'all of YOU' as in implying you're fat or anything relaxed. Anyway, you can't possibly be as fat as me).   

I've got one more bit of work tomorrow morning, then nothing till 19th April.  I'm planning on going all out with healthy food and exercise between now and then, otherwise I'll be spending all the quit-money on new and depressingly large clothes.  Working DID reduce my eating opportunities, but not my calorie intake - I'd forgotten that the buffet lunches are all sandwiches and pastry and pasta.  Well, the pudding choices did include a fruit salad, but I'm afraid I chose the other one.  It was a cheesecake, in case you're wondering. 

Passionfruit ice-cream sounds delicious.  Have you got an ice-cream maker?  From the sound of the weather where you are, I'd guess it would be an almost standard bit of kitchen equipment!    I'd like one, but we have so little space there'd be no room for saucepans or the toaster (both vital in cold, drizzly/snowy England).  

Sorry to hear about the resume, but it sounds too hot to to anything much EXCEPT go to the beach!   In any case, you've got to think of the overgrown pup - surely trips to the beach are vital when it comes to curing any residual trauma/guilt from having knocked you over and nearly broken your ankle...?    

And there you go - you can now add 'canine psychologist' to the many useful skills on your resume!   What sort of job are you hoping (if that's the right word) to get?

It's nice to be back.  I've been feeling a bit blah all day, but it's better now.

Suzy

Suzy2018

3/20/18

Hi Marilyn,

Great to hear you're feeling good today.

I'm hoping to start really enjoying the ride again soon, but at the moment all I can say is that it's mostly ok, sometimes even nice, and almost never as bad as I feared.  I'm also firmly belted in.  Not getting off. NOPE! 

Suzy

Suzy2018

3/20/18

Hi Sue,

I'm good, thanks - glad that this little flurry of work is nearly at an end, but I've been really pleased to be a non-smoker.  I used to be so worried and embarrassed about people smelling it on me, so it was really nice not to have that on my mind.    The only difficult bits were getting into the car at the end of the day - I would always smoke as soon as possible after finishing work, so that was a bit weird, but it passed really quickly.  Generally I'm definitely thinking about smoking less and less, with fewer really bad craves - often it's just a thought, a sort of "Oh yes, I remember I used to do that".   I hope it stays that way - or even gets better!

We're going to a friend's birthday dinner on Friday.  It'll be the first time meeting these particular friends since before I quit and I know they're really pleased for me, so that'll be a nice little injection of praise!   Everyone else has calmed down a bit on the praise front lately, grrr.   

Really, though, I'm thinking that I must stop being so childish and needy!  It's not MY birthday, after all  (well, it'll be my six weeks and five days birthday, but I'm going to try not to go on about it).

Hope all is well with you, and thank you, as ever, for all the encouragement.  It was helpful to read about the icky threes and how not to sabotage myself - I've missed being on here so much, and glad I'll be able to read more again soon.

Suzy