About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)|Verywell.com Smoking Cessation

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

May Ashkickers `15   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 8/23/15 by ModDee; 102959 views.

Hi Annie,

Welcome to 20 months free from smoking.   Look at all those stars.  Remember this one? 

Congratulations!

AnnieXS

Jan-8

Hi Marge:

Thank you for remembering.  I just shed tears of joy.  What a reminder.  Those stars were the most important thing in the world to us.  Each one, a hard fought badge of honor for making it through another month.  

I can't believe how far we've come.  We're doing this my friend! :) :) :)

Gersheps

Jan-9

Hi, Annie,

What a great Milestone! at 20 months, you're not far from that much-sought-after 80% Clubhouse.  When you get there you'll find a lot of Freedom Marchers (along with many other non-smokers) waiting to welcome you.  Just keep doing what you're doing.

Steve

AnnieXS

Jan-9

Hi Steve!

Thanks so much.  Not too far off now.  You are less than two months away!  The Freedom Marchers are definitely the example to follow.  There are a lot of you who have kept your quits.

It sure took a long time but I don't think about it much anymore.  Still that void here and there and once in a while when I'm super stressed but even that is starting to fade.  Not to say I don't fantasize about an alcoholic beverage and a smoke every now and then.  I'll have a drink again some day... without the smoke.  It comes more easily to some than others.  I think I would categorize myself as the latter. ;)

I hope you're well.  I'm guessing that you have a lot of snow right now.

Gersheps

Jan-9

Hi, Annie,

We have over 2' on the ground, from a storm that hit us December 29-30.  We got 27", the worst of all the areas hit by it.  Right now, the temp is -6°, and the wind chills could reach -15 tonight.  Wednesday thru Friday are supposed to be in the 40s, with rain, which means some of this snow will melt.  We need it to go into the ground, to build up the groundwater in the aquifers.  We've been in a drought since last spring, and this is the most snow we've had since 2014.

You mentioned that you don't think much about it any more.  You're in a good place, IMO.  I'm at the point where it is neutral to me, the way it was before I ever started smoking.  I sometimes notice people doing it, and I smell cigarette smoke when I'm near a smoker, but my reaction is neutral, as it's something I just don't do.  My emphasis now is on losing the weight I put on when I quit.  That may be a challenge.

Hang in there, and in 4 short months you'll be in the 80% Clubhouse.

Steve

AnnieXS

Jan-9

Hi Steve:

Holy SH$%.  That is a lot of snow!  So snow melting is a good thing for your drought.  That said, I hope it doesn't freeze again and turn into a sheet of ice.  Have I said I don't miss that lately?  Okay, I won't rub it in. ;)

My goal this year is to get into shape.  I need to work out consistently.  I don't need to lose weight but I feel like a blob.  The old gut is feeling quite uncomfortable so I need to redistribute, if that is still possible at this age.  It will be a challenge but it can't be more challenging than what we've already accomplished. 

So good to talk to you.

ProfKino

Feb-6

Hi Annie, I hope you've been doing well and have been able to work out. It's clear to me that exercise is the task that follows smoking cessation as the key to long-term wellness. I struggle with consistency. This last time I did alright for 7 months and now I've been inactive for 5 weeks. Yesterday I did some stretching and basic exercises that will prepare me to resume my running. Once it becomes routine, it's easier of course. I am quite busy teaching and managing the cinema. My cravings are more mellow now but I am still tempted to smoke and remain close to the forum. Cheers, Oscar "Immigrant" Jubis

• Edited February 6, 2017 8:44 am  by  ProfKino

Hi Annie,

One more month down as a non smoker-congratulations.   You are closing in on two years.  Won't that be something to celebrate.

21 months!!

AnnieXS

Feb-8

Hi Oscar!

I struggle with consistency as well.  I have been on a four week streak. :)  Let's see if I can keep it up.  I walk with a co-worker during our lunch hour which has been very helpful.  I do yoga or weights in the morning.  I do feel better from walking.  Trying to decide if I may be able to try running again.  It has been a long time.  I used to like it.  I really feel it when I'm not working out.  I notice that I get super stressed over things I need to let go of so it has helped with that.  

I'm glad you're keeping busy.  I was in the ladies room at work the other day.  I was drying my hands, looked down and saw a cigarette that must have fallen out of someone's pack.  I stood there thinking "hello old friend" but quickly left so I didn't have to ponder the thought any longer.  I feel for the most part I don't think about it now but I do have occasional moments of that void, like I need to comfort myself, but it passes quickly in most instances.  I still have moments when I think I would love a drink and a smoke.  I should also note after all this time, I haven't put myself in a situation where I'd be tempted.  Good or bad... I'm not sure.

Love your signature!

AnnieXS

Feb-8

Hi Marge:

You're the best my friend!  Thank you for always remembering. :) 

You're so close to the big 2 year mark.