About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Smoke Free Warriors 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/31/18 by ModMarge (slowblumer); 192112 views.
BMann (bmann018)

10/11/19

JR,

Thank you for copying me on this special post. I really wanted to check back in in October here to make sure you drug it across the 1-year line. Feels good, right? You have been so involved here and helped many x-smokers around you accomplish their dream. It just goes on,......life, without smoking. I run into smokers at work, outside restaurants and on the golf course and really have no feelings about their habit now. I do not like the smell of smoke and avoid it, but I am not a militant x-smoker or the like. 

If the smokers ask how I quit, I give all the credit to this forum and folks like you. I have handed out this link more than once, but have not heard back if those smokers took the step. Interesting following all this vaping news - I cannot believe a vaping company can advertise their products on the tube.

Anyway, feeling good, marching to retirement next year and am very proud of you. I cannot say that I could have done what you did, quit, relapse and quit immediately again....and succeed to one year. Just never relax. I have told myself several times - I would rather be an x-smoker who occasionally thinks about a smoke, than a smoker who constantly thinks about quitting. I had a thought just the other day on how much I used to like that first smoke in the morning with coffee, but I easily recalled that it was just an addiction that is no longer acute. I am still and addict, in remission.

Take care and go spend some money on something special. Congrats again, and I hope to check in here more often.

overdoz

10/11/19

Congratulations, its a big accomplishment. I remember when i had made it to a year it went by so quick. Keep your guard up for that only one cig moment, thats what gets me into trouble every time.

baysedge

10/12/19

Hello Overdoz,  glad youre holding steady -as you said it's that false belief  of  "one" that traps you .  I know I dont want one ...I dont want the cigarette  I want  the moment , the one moment to myself ( to think , to dream , to obsess , to celebrate regroup , etc ) so I take it but I dont smoke. Because its was killing me . I knew it you know it.    You have have always been good at coming  up with good novel  ways to get around smoking maybe its time tweak your list. Dig deep youve got this one for keeps.

Missdogs2018

10/12/19

Whew...What a journey!! But we kept the faith (and Fight) to make it to the coveted one year mark...MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!! It was so much easier sharing this journey/battle with you and others...just when we needed it the most. I am so grateful....THANK YOU SO MUCH! We had to reach WAY DOWN and have our mind right to pull this off...and we did. It was fun quitting smoking with people all over the world. I so looked forward to getting online and coming to this forum each day. I was happy to pledge NOPE every day. We have learned more appropriate coping skills than smoking when we get stressed or upset now. I truly feel that I can accomplish ANYTHING now since I got thru and WON against this Demon opponent. I am powerful and PROUD to have achieved this milestone. And you made it thru even with health scares and issues...You Rock!! There is no one I would choose to go in battle with...Thanks Partner. 

Our Journey continues. Watch out for the Just one thought (TRAP!!). Let's keep kicking Cig Butt. NOPE Forever. Keep your armor on (best practice!!). Enjoy the PEACE, FREEDOM & JOY that comes with this non-smoking life. How Sweet it is!

Gloria XOXOXO   

Working on our wings...

Attachments
Rassister

10/12/19

Hey Gloria, 

Surprise!   I have not been on the forum for a long time.  I wanted to say hi and congratulations on making it to the clubhouse in July!   It is a wonderful feeling to be free however I think our receptors will be pinging for a long time. This is the time of the year when I can smell the smoke from a Mike away ( I guess because it is cooler). However, some days the smell stinks and then other days memories of the past come flooding back.  Sounds like you are doing well.  Pictures of your doggies chasing you away make me smile.  I hope to get on here more often.  All the best!

Rassister

10/12/19

Congratulations JR!   

I remember you from when I was fighting this addiction with the March Warriors  2018!   I am so happy for you!   It truly is the best feeling in the world.   I am 19 months free and so thankful that I very rarely think of these smokes.   It was the best decision we could make for our lives. Congratulations   

All the best,

Rassister

10/12/19

Hey Gloria,

i was on here daily for support and do feel badly that after I quit, I did not stick around.  Like you, I will forever be grateful to all of the people on this forum who helped us beat this horrible addiction.  Like you, I was also addicted to the forum. Tonight I decided to check in and say hello.  It has been a wonderful night coming back to where I began this amazing journey.  All the best!

Rassister

10/12/19

Congratulations JR!   You did it.  It is the best feeling in the world.  

Missdogs2018

10/12/19

Hey Marilyn,

Great to hear from you. Yes it has been awhile...but most from last year are not here anymore. Most make it to the clubhouse and move on with their smokefree lives...totally understandable. Denim continues to hang around and provides marvelous support and inspiration to lots on here. I feel like a nomad without a home on here now. No one to really talk to even though I am here almost everyday. Glad you are doing well. I miss the old gang from last year. True warriors who helped and encouraged us on this Quit journey. I truly appreciate you and others who helped and supported us SO much. Made the journey and battle bearable. Been waiting on JR as we quit the same day, he had a relapse 2 months in, restarted his quit and made it to the Clubhouse. Refused to leave him behind. Mission complete. I feel like I have graduated from H.S. and that I am still hanging around. Hard to say goodbye to yesterday. But we are still kicking Cig Butt. How Sweet it is.

Gloria

Missdogs2018

10/12/19

Hey Lori,

Great to hear from you. Yes it has been awhile...but most from last year are not here anymore. Most make it to the clubhouse and move on with their smokefree lives...totally understandable. Denim continues to hang around and provides marvelous support and inspiration to lots on here. I feel like a nomad without a home on here now. No one to really talk to even though I am here almost everyday. Glad you are doing well. I miss the old gang from last year. True warriors who helped and encouraged us on this Quit journey. I truly appreciate you and others who helped and supported us SO much. Made the journey and battle bearable. Been waiting on JR as we quit the same day, he had a relapse 2 months in, restarted his quit and made it to the Clubhouse. Refused to leave him behind. Mission complete. I am doing ok. My Dad is great (just turned 91!!), love my 2 little doggies who give me so much puppy love, and I work at a HS as a financial aid counselor one day per week. I love that I am helping Seniors find money and encourage them to go to college or some secondary education to help their lives. I love it but they make me feel even older hanging around the kids. This forum reminds me of H.S now.... I feel like I have graduated from H.S. and that I am still hanging around. Hard to say goodbye to yesterday. But we are still kicking Cig Butt. How Sweet it is.

Gloria