About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Smoke Free Warriors 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/31/18 by ModMarge (slowblumer); 194845 views.
David072118

May-7

Hey Lori,

I'm surprised I haven't heard back from you after sharing some pics of my work.  Hope you're doing ok.

I can tell that the urge to smoke I was having is healing. Weird. This one didn't pass exactly, but it feels like I'm working through it, and then it will be gone.

Please get in touch when you can. 

Dave

S072118

lori1531

May-7

Beautiful work, David! Sorry, I saw the pics, got busy then forgot to msg back. So nice. How did you get into pottery? I have always wanted to learn to throw pottery... that’s what it’s called isn’t it? In fact, I had a kiln that I never used at one time. 

Lori 

David072118

May-7

Hi Lori,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I'm glad things are okay.

I'm glad you like the work.

In college I was a double degree candidate studying film in the Fine Arts department, and film/critical theory in Letters and Science. By the time I was done I felt as though I couldn't do anything creative because I was constantly analyzing and questioning what the subtext of anything I did was.

When I graduated my mother was dating a potter.  I had never even given a thought to pottery, but now thought it might be a way to recover my creativity.  I thought it might be therapeutic, to just work with my hands and make something physical. Then I fell in love with everything (almost everything-I don't like selling and doing shows) about the process.

Thanks again for helping me through this last bout.

Best wishes,

Dave

Noping since 07212018

lori1531

May-8

David, 

It’s interesting that you say that about the business side of your business. I think so many creative types feel the same way. I would say, in my business, half is selling and paperwork and the other half is creating. I’ve tried to keep it simple and it works for me. 

There’s a guy on FB in the UK that I follow that does some neat pottery. Old Forge Creations.  Interesting glazing.  I think I found him through a video he did. 

Lori 

David072118

May-8

Lori,

I think 50/50 seems about right. Im still trying to integrate the two sides into a schedule that keeps me connected creatively to my work. 

I'll check out the potter you mention, thanks.

Do you know if Gloria. JR, and Molly are doing ok and still not smoking? 

Dave

lori1531

May-8

I don’t know about the others. I’m surprised no one has jumped in here, other than Brian. I sure hope they are all ok. 

Molly010

May-16

Good morning all!

Long time, not talk!  I am happy to say I am still smoke free also and happy to hear from all of you.  Hope you all are safe during this pandemic.  

Looking at your older posts, I have to say, spring did make me think about cigs for a bit, but it wasn't really a craving or want.  It was more like a "fond" memory that turned into "glad I don't do that anymore."  I am so thankful I quit and was able to make it.  Still not happy with the weight gain.  Some weeks I feel like I make progress, but staying home now has made it worse!  I was going to the gym and taking classes.  Now I try to do youtube videos online.

Nice pottery David!  They are beautiful pieces.  Need to find something creative to do myself.  

I have no idea where Gloria is, but hope she is well.  It was so nice to hear from you all.  Let's stay in touch.  :)

David072118

May-16

Good morning to you Molly! Good to hear from you, so glad you're healthy, doing well, and not smoking! 

I've gained a couple more pounds as well, but I guess my dog has kept me from gaining more than that.

Best wishes, stay healthy.

Dave

JR (DPartonFan)

May-17

David,

This is JR. Hey first I want to say congratulations on coming upon your 2 year anniversary. Your pottery is awesome!  I am going to try to find you on Etsy.  Also, I was getting ready to do a post to you, Molly, Lori and Gloria.

JR (DPartonFan)

May-17

Hey everybody! It's so good to hear from all of you. I ma still smoke-free and very glad of it.   Hope you are able to stay safe during this pandemic.  I'm gonna try to copy and edit from a post I made a few minutes ago to Overdoz so I won't have to type it all again. LOL 

I had to have a pacemaker put in back in February and my cardiologist  really made a believer out of me on this Covid virus.  He advised me not to pay attention to anything the President or the doctors on tv were saying (at that time they were still saying you didn't need to cover your nose and mouth).  He told me from that time forward I should wear a mask and also goggles that completely seal around my eyes anytime I am out in public.  He also told me that at that time there was just not enough understanding about this virus and how it reacts on people to make general recommendations to the public. So, I took his advice and got a pair of goggles right then and have been wearing both a mask and goggles every time I go into a public place. 

At first I was really kind of embarrassed about the goggles but eventually I got used to folks staring at me like I was crazy or something.  Lots of people are dying from Covid but nobody ever died from embarrassment as far as I know. LOL So, I'm sticking with the goggles and mask like the cardiologist recommended.

When I first went back to work after the surgery I was going to be the only one wearing a mask but I told my boss that was just how it was going to have to be.  Then oddly enough, on the day I went back our company made everyone start wearing masks at all times except when going to eat lunch. We had just had an employee to die from Covid and the company really put strict guidelines in place and they aren't planning to relax them any for at least the rest of this year. We have been fortunate that we have been able to continue working through this.  We make products that are used to make medical equipment that is vital to the hospitals during this pandemic.

A group of us from work were supposed to leave out of Charleston on a cruise yesterday....but of course that didn't happen and I wouldn't risk getting caught on a ship right now anyway.  

As part of this Covid plan at work my work schedule has changed and every time I am off I get four consecutive days off.  Since I haven't been going anywhere except groceries and necessities I have really set in on the quilts that were started in the past and never finished.  In the quilt guild we call those UFOs (Unfinished Objects) LOL Have finished 5 of the quilts I started earlier and started on a new one last week and almost have it finished this week.  

Congratulations to all of you on coming up on your two year mark.  Isn't it amazing how time flies by now compared to when we very first quit?  That was turtle time then but now it seems like jackrabbit time.  

Stay safe everybody.  It has been so good to read your posts and catch up on how everyone is doing.