About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Smoke Free Warriors 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/31/18 by ModMarge (slowblumer); 193539 views.

Hi Lori,

HOw nice to see you on here again. I cancelled my membership on here in Oct as everyone disappeared and I felt like the support was no longer here. I could not reopen my membership and It would not let me open a new membership under my old name or address. I finally decided to figure it out and return during this pandemic.

I am SO thrilled that I no longer smoke. Smoking is such a scary thought during this time. Maybe this will make some quit. I would not want to take my mask off to smoke. I am still helping take care of my 91 Y O dad...I sit/take care of him 2 days per week. Our state is opening up some but masks inside public places are mandatory for ages 10 and up today by executive order. Controversial so will see what happens. I wear my mask FAITHFULLY in public and not feel safe without one so this is nothing new for me. I even order masks from Etsy and give to folks in my community as you cannot buy them (one place sells to the public now). I have been on an emotional roller coaster about this pandemic like I was on that roller coaster when we stopped smoking in 2018. No wonder we are having thoughts (and dreams) about smoking. Maintaining the course proudly.

Really great to see you, Molly, Brian, JR and David on here. Our group thread is still alive and well. I am BACK.

Gloria

NOPE since Jul 2018...How Sweet it is

Hello JR,

So nice to hear from you. I left this site (closed my account) in Oct and could not come back or open a new account using my profile name and my email address. Couldn't open the old one and would not let me open a new one as my address was already on file. I had to finally use a different email address and use my old profile name as my nickname here. I am catching up on reading messages here. Will write more later. I was just determined to get back on here today to see how everyone is doing. I was so happy to see recent messages from my best buds on here...I got so excited!! You, Molly, Lori, David and Brian had all posted recently. 

I did not get to go to Vegas in Feb (booking issue) and was gonna go on Apr 16th for sure but I did not pay for the trip at that time. I am so happy that I did not pay. Vegas was closed down by that time and I would not have flown even if it was open. I was gonna go by myself last month if I had to. I had 3 folks lined up to go with me as I am sure one (out of 3) would not have backed out. But it did not work out. Oh well...

Will write more later. Glad to see you here and glad you still smoke free.

Gloria

NOPE since Jul 2018...How Sweet it is

JR (DPartonFan)

May-30

Gloria, 

It is so great to hear from you. I read your posts to the others as well.  So I had planned to ask about your dad and how he is getting along now. We have really missed having our Warrior on here with us. 
It is the middle of the night and I am at work so I know you won’t see my reply until tomorrow.

I ordered some of David’s pottery pieces from Etsy and I think they will arrive tomorrow (Saturday). I am so excited to get them and as I told David...it will feel like Christmas for me. I love hand crafted things.

Sorry to hear about your trip to Vegas.  It would have been a good trip before this pandemic set in but even back in February I think it would have been dangerous health wise to go.  Our world has changed drastically since October hasn’t it. I got a pacemaker in February and have been wearing a mask and goggles out in public since then. Also wearing them at work. 

We had a cruise booked for the middle of May but of course that didn’t happen. I took my vacation time from work anyway and spent two weeks making a quilt from start to finish. I’ll put a picture of it at the end of this post. 
Welcome back to the forum and we will get caught back up with each other.

This pandemic has a lot of us stressed out and I am so thankful to have some quit time behind me because I think it would be very stressful trying to quit in the middle of all of this.

BMann (bmann018)

May-30

Hi Gloria,

Great to hear from you. this is short as i am typing one handed after just having shoulder surgery. love being quit and staying in touch with our crew. i will say more later 

Lovely Quilt Jr....Great job. I am glad you got your pacemaker before the pandemic hit. And you even had stocked toilet paper. So you were prepared for this pandemic. I don't blame you for wearing goggles and mask. I faithfully wear my mask and don't really go out except to grocery store, sitting with Dad 2 days per week, and sometimes get food from a Drive-thru or curbside. Glad I am not working. I still live alone with my 2 little doggies to keep me company. Glad you are doing well/better healthwise again. Looking forward to hearing from more of the gang, hopefully this month. Some restaurants here are opening up for inside dining now but I do NOT feel comfortable going inside to eat at this time. My church is still having drive-in service and have not returned inside the building yet. We have to take it slow. I have a birthday this month (Jun 29) and I may get a mani-pedi at that time and go to a nice restaurant to eat inside if I feel comfortable at that time. I am trying to stay safe as I take care of my 91 Y O father who will be 92 this year. I stay safe and limit my activities for him. Glad you are doing ok. Nice to hear from you.

Hey Bri,

Nice to hear from you. Hope you recuperating well from shoulder surgery. Yes it is WONDERFUL being a non-smoker. You have 2 years quit under your belt. Next month will be 2 years for my group. I LOVE being a non-smoker and hardly ever think about smoking or cigs. It is interesting that my brain still remembers sometimes. Since I smoked for 42 years...of course my brains remembers that. I said I would never buy another pack of cigs but I did this week...for my brother. I usually buy him a couple packs of cigs for his birthday as I know that is something he likes and uses. Last year I really had a hard time buying the cigs for his birthday...I was so ADAMANT about never buying another pack of cigs. This year was so much easier as I had no feelings and no craves about buying the cigs for him. No pings or issues buying cigs for him...No reaction from my brain at all.muscle His birthday is today and I gave him 2 packs of cigs and a lighter. I also made him a banana pudding as I know he likes that since he asked me last month to make him one. I am enjoying my coffee and tea again without the thought of a cig now....wonderful life. I am still happy and joyful to not be a smoker. Now I just need to learn to make a quilt like JR....still haven't found that quilting class but still on my bucket list.

Please stay safe in this pandemic. Things are opening up here but a lot don't feel safe to go places open again. My church still having drive-in service even though we could return to the sanctuary with social distancing and masks. Some local churches are returning to inside services. Trying to stay safe for Dad.

Gloria

Smoke-free since 30 Jul 2018..How Sweet it is!!sunflower

JR (DPartonFan)

Jun-20

Gloria,

I’m sorry for taking so long to reply. I have been on a long run of 12 hour night shifts and seem to be behind on everything.

I am not going out anywhere but the grocery store (other than working that is). Since my social life is non existent now due to COVID I have set in on quilts. I’m working on 3 different ones right now. My scrap totes of leftover fabric from other quilts I have made was running over so I decided to make a couple of scrappy quilts to use some of them up. 
The restaurants have opened back up in Tennessee but I’m just not comfortable going out like that yet. Not sure how long it will be before I do feel comfortable like that again. 
It really has been a blessing in the middle of this pandemic to not need to run out to buy cigarettes. Old nicodemon has left me alone for the most part but I still don’t let my guard down by assuming  he is gone permanently. 
Hope your weekend goes good. 

JR (DPartonFan)

Jul-6

Lori,

I am thinking you just passed the two year mark on the 3rd. Congratulations on that! Hope you are well in the middle of the pandemic stuff.

lori1531

Jul-6

Hey JR! 

You are so sweet to remember my special day! On the 3rd I was thinking about how so totally addicted I was to cigarettes 2 years ago and how they ran my life. What a wonderful feeling of freedom it is not to think about smoking most of the time, when before I thought about smoking ALL OF THE TIME. 

Hope you are doing well and staying well. Let me know what’s going on with you. 

All of my kids are at home now and we are trying to live a normal life and not get covid! We haven’t eaten inside a restaurant yet but have eaten out side and picked up takeout. Lots of picnics too! I go into stores but always wear a mask. Try to keep clean hands as well. In our county there’s a mandatory face mask ordinance now. 

Take care! 

Lori 

JR (DPartonFan)

Jul-7

Lori,

Glad to hear you and your family are well during this pandemic. I wish our county or even our state would make masks mandatory. There are just too many people in my area who won’t wear them and our cases are beginning to skyrocket quickly now.

I’ve been working on more quilts since I’m spending all of my off time at home. Really moving along on the quilts... not much chance I’ll ever freeze to death! Lol

Also, I’ve recently ordered several pieces of Dave’s pottery. His artwork really amazes me. I have another order on the way from him and am like a kid waiting on Christmas. 

Wow, just think about this... in less than six months now you will be half way to getting wings. Once we reached that one year mark it seems like time is flying by.

Please continue to stay safe and congratulations again on your two year anniversary.