About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Smoke Free Warriors 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/31/18 by ModMarge (slowblumer); 193124 views.

Lovely Quilt Jr....Great job. I am glad you got your pacemaker before the pandemic hit. And you even had stocked toilet paper. So you were prepared for this pandemic. I don't blame you for wearing goggles and mask. I faithfully wear my mask and don't really go out except to grocery store, sitting with Dad 2 days per week, and sometimes get food from a Drive-thru or curbside. Glad I am not working. I still live alone with my 2 little doggies to keep me company. Glad you are doing well/better healthwise again. Looking forward to hearing from more of the gang, hopefully this month. Some restaurants here are opening up for inside dining now but I do NOT feel comfortable going inside to eat at this time. My church is still having drive-in service and have not returned inside the building yet. We have to take it slow. I have a birthday this month (Jun 29) and I may get a mani-pedi at that time and go to a nice restaurant to eat inside if I feel comfortable at that time. I am trying to stay safe as I take care of my 91 Y O father who will be 92 this year. I stay safe and limit my activities for him. Glad you are doing ok. Nice to hear from you.

Hey Bri,

Nice to hear from you. Hope you recuperating well from shoulder surgery. Yes it is WONDERFUL being a non-smoker. You have 2 years quit under your belt. Next month will be 2 years for my group. I LOVE being a non-smoker and hardly ever think about smoking or cigs. It is interesting that my brain still remembers sometimes. Since I smoked for 42 years...of course my brains remembers that. I said I would never buy another pack of cigs but I did this week...for my brother. I usually buy him a couple packs of cigs for his birthday as I know that is something he likes and uses. Last year I really had a hard time buying the cigs for his birthday...I was so ADAMANT about never buying another pack of cigs. This year was so much easier as I had no feelings and no craves about buying the cigs for him. No pings or issues buying cigs for him...No reaction from my brain at all.muscle His birthday is today and I gave him 2 packs of cigs and a lighter. I also made him a banana pudding as I know he likes that since he asked me last month to make him one. I am enjoying my coffee and tea again without the thought of a cig now....wonderful life. I am still happy and joyful to not be a smoker. Now I just need to learn to make a quilt like JR....still haven't found that quilting class but still on my bucket list.

Please stay safe in this pandemic. Things are opening up here but a lot don't feel safe to go places open again. My church still having drive-in service even though we could return to the sanctuary with social distancing and masks. Some local churches are returning to inside services. Trying to stay safe for Dad.

Gloria

Smoke-free since 30 Jul 2018..How Sweet it is!!sunflower

JR (DPartonFan)

Jun-20

Gloria,

I’m sorry for taking so long to reply. I have been on a long run of 12 hour night shifts and seem to be behind on everything.

I am not going out anywhere but the grocery store (other than working that is). Since my social life is non existent now due to COVID I have set in on quilts. I’m working on 3 different ones right now. My scrap totes of leftover fabric from other quilts I have made was running over so I decided to make a couple of scrappy quilts to use some of them up. 
The restaurants have opened back up in Tennessee but I’m just not comfortable going out like that yet. Not sure how long it will be before I do feel comfortable like that again. 
It really has been a blessing in the middle of this pandemic to not need to run out to buy cigarettes. Old nicodemon has left me alone for the most part but I still don’t let my guard down by assuming  he is gone permanently. 
Hope your weekend goes good. 

JR (DPartonFan)

Jul-6

Lori,

I am thinking you just passed the two year mark on the 3rd. Congratulations on that! Hope you are well in the middle of the pandemic stuff.

lori1531

Jul-6

Hey JR! 

You are so sweet to remember my special day! On the 3rd I was thinking about how so totally addicted I was to cigarettes 2 years ago and how they ran my life. What a wonderful feeling of freedom it is not to think about smoking most of the time, when before I thought about smoking ALL OF THE TIME. 

Hope you are doing well and staying well. Let me know what’s going on with you. 

All of my kids are at home now and we are trying to live a normal life and not get covid! We haven’t eaten inside a restaurant yet but have eaten out side and picked up takeout. Lots of picnics too! I go into stores but always wear a mask. Try to keep clean hands as well. In our county there’s a mandatory face mask ordinance now. 

Take care! 

Lori 

JR (DPartonFan)

Jul-7

Lori,

Glad to hear you and your family are well during this pandemic. I wish our county or even our state would make masks mandatory. There are just too many people in my area who won’t wear them and our cases are beginning to skyrocket quickly now.

I’ve been working on more quilts since I’m spending all of my off time at home. Really moving along on the quilts... not much chance I’ll ever freeze to death! Lol

Also, I’ve recently ordered several pieces of Dave’s pottery. His artwork really amazes me. I have another order on the way from him and am like a kid waiting on Christmas. 

Wow, just think about this... in less than six months now you will be half way to getting wings. Once we reached that one year mark it seems like time is flying by.

Please continue to stay safe and congratulations again on your two year anniversary.

To Lori and all Smoke free Warriors 2018:

BIG Congrats on our 2 year anniversary. My anniversary will be on July 29 and I plan to write a message on here. I hardly ever think of smoking now and am so Thankful and Ecstatic that I no longer smoke. I would hate to be a smoker during this pandemic and smoking would put us more at risk to catch 'Rona. I LOVE my freedom and having my life back from smoking. 

Hope to hear from more of you guys soon. Our Governor mandated masks here (VA) in May but stores don't enforce or say anything to folks who don't and refuse to wear them. I live in a very rural area and know 2 local people who died from Covid this month. It is a KILLER but folks will not wear a mask for political and other asinine reasons...which I do not understand. Wearing masks is our new normal and we better do it if we want to come out of this crisis. I now refuse to shop or do business at places that do not enforce the mask mandate (except one grocery store as I have to buy food for Dad). Wish I lived in an area where we could have food delivered.  We barely have wifi for internet and cable tv. 

Still smoke-free and trying to keep 'Rona away.  Hope everyone staying safe.

Gloria

Smoke-Free since 29 July 2018....How Sweet it is sunflower

JR (DPartonFan)

Jul-24

Gloria,

I’ve been thinking about you this week. In just a few more days you will be at the two-year mark and that is a huge success. At this point the chances that you will never smoke again are supposed to be 80% however I think it is at least 100% for you!

I have also been wearing my mask and goggles whenever I go out into public anywhere and just can’t understand why people will not wear their mask. Glad to hear you are staying safe.

Hey JR,

Always happy to hear from you. Seems most of the July 2018 peeps do not come back here often anymore (Most stopped before they got to the Clubhouse and really went lights out once they entered the Clubhouse). I enjoyed & needed the comaraderie when  we were on that initial Quit rollercoaster and fighting HARD on the battlefield to remain quit. Who would have thought those were the good ol' days??!! Our Quit buddies were so wonderful and supportive. And now this pandemic, lockdowns, violence in the streets and life turned upside down. The best thing about this year is that we don't have to worry about cigs and smoking. So Happy and Proud to be a ex-smoker. Wish I could make quilts like you. Would give me something to do while at home alone all day when not sitting with Dad. I got 5 more masks in the mail yesterday that I had ordered from Etsy. I'm sure we will be wearing masks at least for another year...at minimum.cold_sweat New World Order for sure. At least we can find toilet paper now. I just heard that the new shortage is aluminum cans so some peeps fav beer or soft drinks may not be available. This does not affect me one bit as I don't drink sodas or beer. Peeps that do better hoard now.stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Hope you doing ok. I am still retired and sit/take care of Dad 2 days per week (14 hrs each day). Don't do much besides one trip to grocery store weekly for food to cook for Dad. Most restaurants and churches still not open here...even the fast food restaurants only do drive thru even though they could open the dining rooms inside if they follow stringent health guidelines and social distancing. I HATE/ABHOR going thru drive thru. I always ate inside...hate eating in car and the food would be cold if taken home. I miss going out to eat but really afraid to go inside to dine inside restaurants that are open. I have eaten inside 2 restaurants since things opened back up...one time for my birthday. As long as staff wear masks and they seat customers apart but it still makes me uneasy because I have to take my mask off. Trying to stay safe. 

Sending Good vibes your way.

Gloria

Freedom and Smoke-free since 30 July 2018...How Sweet it is!sunflower

BMann (bmann018)

Jul-27

Hi folks from the great summer of 2018. I know we have all gone dark from this forum from time to time, but I never feel missed when I check back in. I have to admit, I am laid up on my couch with a torn achilles with my laptop handy, so I though I would check in.

Even through these crazy times, shoulder and achilles surgery, it is great not to have to smoke. I can't even imagine what habits I would have to re-learn just to manage a nicotine addiction - there were so many. At least I can breathe deep and often. While I was rehabbing my shoulder, I was walking a lot, but will now be on crutches for a couple weeks, then in a boot for another two months. I will have to get some activity some how. We'll see what rehab has in strore.

I hope all is well in you respective lands. These are crazy times and we are on a new learning curve.  I think about this forum and our travels often. Stay save, breathe well and give a shout out when you can.