About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Smoke Free Warriors 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/31/18 by slowblumer; 199968 views.
Molly010

Aug-4

Hey Cindi,

So glad to hear from you!  Yes, we are all going strong.  When I think how many people started in my group and how many are left, I feel pretty lucky.  Lucky I did not give in like I had so many times in the past.  I do believe this forum was a saving grace for that.  I could always post and read your group's posts for inspiration.  You seemed to be light years ahead of us!  LOL 

2018 certainly does seem like a blur looking back.  The battle to get through the day and night without smoking was a big deal.  Glad we are all passed it.  Nice to hear you are doing well.  Thank you for the kind words.  He was a really fun and great guy.  Take care of yourself and hope to keep in touch!

Molly010

Aug-4

Hey Gloria,

So I was able to respond to an old post from October of 2019.  Did you start a new account?  I cannot reply to the last messages you sent.  Maybe check your settings to see if you are allowed to receive private messages.  I checked mine and they are supposedly okay.  It is so nice to have you back for a bit.  Let me know if there is anything you can change on your account.  I keep trying but messages don't go through to the last messages you sent.  disappointed

Molly010

Aug-6

Hey Gloria,

I was able to send you a message.  Let me know if you got it.  It looks like it went through okay.  :)

Molly,

Yes got your pm. Thanks. Enjoy your 2 day trip. Hope it rejuvenates you and your household. I made peach homemade ice cream this week. It was something to do and that I look forward to. I did not make much as no one but family to enjoy some. I will be attending my nephew's pandemic wedding on Sept 5th. He is getting married in a field on a farm...and everyone has to wear masks outside. They cut the wedding back to immediate/close family and wedding party only. Wish they would wait but they did not get a college graduation this year. Too much uncertainty in their lives and feelings of not being in control. I will attend only because it is OUTSIDE and mask mandatory. I will not hug or get close to them however...and I am sad about that. I HATE THIS PANDEMIC!!!

Hey JR,

I made homemade peach ice cream this week. It was something to do and I always make this time of year. No one much to share it with and I did cut back on the quantity. 

How are you doing on your quilts? Made anymore? Would love to see the pics of more that you finished or working on.

Gloria

Freedom since 30 July 2018...How Sweet it is!!sunflower

JR (DPartonFan)

Aug-9

Gloria,

I was thinking about your homemade peach ice cream a couple of weeks ago. It has been so hot I thought what a wonderful cooling treat that would be.

Did you Feel the earthquake this morning? I was still in bed and felt the bed started to shake and my house started to shake. Da Vinci started barking like crazy he thought someone was trying to get into the house I guess.

I have not been working on quilts for the past couple of weeks because I feel tired again all the time and have to go have the heart cath again tomorrow to see if my blockages are still OK or if I need another stent. I really wish I had never smoked that first cigarette when I was 15 years old and maybe I would not be going through so many cardiac problems right now.

I hope you have a good week ahead of you and please stay safe talk to you soon.

Molly010

Aug-11

Hey JR,

So glad you are on track too.  Yeah, I don't understand the mask thing.  Even though most people are good about it, there was one place that shut down because people were cursing and throwing things at the employees who requested they wear a mask.  That is just not necessary.  

How is your friend doing?  We all started on day 1.  It feels so overwhelming when you are just starting.  I remember seeing someone who made it 5 months and I thought "what I wouldn't give to be that far along right now."  The longer you go, the more grateful you are that you are not starting all over again.  The big reason I don't ever plan to smoke again.  Although every once and a while I dream that I smoked.  It's always so weird and I am disappointed in myself during the dream and trying to figure out why I am smoking in the first place! 

Hope your friend's surgery went well.  

JR,

How did your heart cath results come out?? Do you have blockages or need another stent? Hope you feeling better and will not need more invasive procedures to fix it. So sorry you going thru this. I was a light smoker for 42 years and I actually got scared when I realized that I had been smoking for that long. I could not justify or rationalize continuing to smoke for 42 years--I knew I was asking for trouble no matter the "little" amount of cigs. I kept a Quit smoking (written) journal and I almost literally read everything on this site. I always jotted down posts that truly spoke to/inspired me and got my attention. A post by Douglas (Quit for 6 yrs) said: "As a long time smoker, in the back of my mind there has always been a lingering concern that the damage from smoking would one day present me an invoice for my poor choice." WOW...his words hit me like a slap in the face!! I almost cried when I read that as I was concerned about the same thing when I decided to quit. His words were so on point and hit the nail on the head for me. Thank God our wondrous body starts to heal and recover when we do have the courage, passion & tenacity to quit for good. Keep the faith and keep working on your health. 

Gloria

Freedom since 30 July 2018...How Sweet it is!!sunflower

JR (DPartonFan)

Aug-12

Molly, 

You were saying that we all started with Day one and it made me think to look at my app and see how many days it has been since I have smoked. It has been 672 days. Wow I am hardly ever look at that app anymore but that is mind boggling that we have made it this far.

my friend had her kidney surgery and came through the surgery OK but she is in a lot of pain. She tried to quit smoking a few days before the surgery but was not successful. The doctors have told her that smoking is not an option at all after the surgery. It seems like it would be far more difficult to quit smoking by force or by Necessity than by choice.I have gently cheered her attempts to quit but have not been rough on her about it because I know how difficult it is to break this addiction when it has complete hold over you. And also I remember in Allen cars Book where he said that when you are going through a health crisis it makes you want to smoke even more.So the best that I can offer is to be a good foundation of support if she wants it and needs it. I did tell her about the forum but she did not seem to think that  would be her type of thing.
I did not think a forum was my type of thing either but gosh looking back on it I never would have made it through this successfully without each and everyone of you as my foundation. Hope you are staying well and your family is well take care talk to you soon.

JR (DPartonFan)

Aug-12

Gloria, 

The heart Cath  procedure went very well.  The doctor said my arteries all looked very good and the stent that he put in in 2018 still looks extremely good. They seem to think that I am so tired because I worked two months of 12 hour night shifts in a row. And I think that may be possible that is the reason because at the end of the two months  is when I started staying tired all the time. I will be off workThrough 1 September and hopefully will get caught up on my rest and be feeling better before I go back to work.

That quote that you sent was really a very good quote and a very accurate quote. The loop recorder that was put into my chest last year was about $56,000 I think. Then the pacemaker that was put in this year was $108,000. So the invoices they are giving me for my 39 years of smoking are terrible. I guess it is a result of 39 years of bad choices and about half a million cigarettes that I have smoked. Today though we are free of the addiction and have escaped  it’s terrible clutches and I am so happy for all of us.

I have been thinking about your peach ice cream again today because it is so hot here. I made some syrup with nuts that goes over ice cream  a couple of weeks ago and forgot all about it so now I need to buy some ice cream, LOL A slice of carrot cake with syrupy nuts drizzled over it is really delicious too. Carrot cake is my second favorite and as I’ve said before chocolate cake with chocolate icing wins first place every time, LOL. Haven’t had a chocolate cake celebration for a long time now. Overdoz Will be ashamed of me for not doing my chocolate cake celebrations Every month.

It’s so good to have you back on the forum. I really missed you during your Break. Hope you are having a great week!