About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Smoke Free Warriors 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/31/18 by slowblumer; 199906 views.
Molly010

Aug-11

Hey JR,

So glad you are on track too.  Yeah, I don't understand the mask thing.  Even though most people are good about it, there was one place that shut down because people were cursing and throwing things at the employees who requested they wear a mask.  That is just not necessary.  

How is your friend doing?  We all started on day 1.  It feels so overwhelming when you are just starting.  I remember seeing someone who made it 5 months and I thought "what I wouldn't give to be that far along right now."  The longer you go, the more grateful you are that you are not starting all over again.  The big reason I don't ever plan to smoke again.  Although every once and a while I dream that I smoked.  It's always so weird and I am disappointed in myself during the dream and trying to figure out why I am smoking in the first place! 

Hope your friend's surgery went well.  

JR,

How did your heart cath results come out?? Do you have blockages or need another stent? Hope you feeling better and will not need more invasive procedures to fix it. So sorry you going thru this. I was a light smoker for 42 years and I actually got scared when I realized that I had been smoking for that long. I could not justify or rationalize continuing to smoke for 42 years--I knew I was asking for trouble no matter the "little" amount of cigs. I kept a Quit smoking (written) journal and I almost literally read everything on this site. I always jotted down posts that truly spoke to/inspired me and got my attention. A post by Douglas (Quit for 6 yrs) said: "As a long time smoker, in the back of my mind there has always been a lingering concern that the damage from smoking would one day present me an invoice for my poor choice." WOW...his words hit me like a slap in the face!! I almost cried when I read that as I was concerned about the same thing when I decided to quit. His words were so on point and hit the nail on the head for me. Thank God our wondrous body starts to heal and recover when we do have the courage, passion & tenacity to quit for good. Keep the faith and keep working on your health. 

Gloria

Freedom since 30 July 2018...How Sweet it is!!sunflower

JR (DPartonFan)

Aug-12

Molly, 

You were saying that we all started with Day one and it made me think to look at my app and see how many days it has been since I have smoked. It has been 672 days. Wow I am hardly ever look at that app anymore but that is mind boggling that we have made it this far.

my friend had her kidney surgery and came through the surgery OK but she is in a lot of pain. She tried to quit smoking a few days before the surgery but was not successful. The doctors have told her that smoking is not an option at all after the surgery. It seems like it would be far more difficult to quit smoking by force or by Necessity than by choice.I have gently cheered her attempts to quit but have not been rough on her about it because I know how difficult it is to break this addiction when it has complete hold over you. And also I remember in Allen cars Book where he said that when you are going through a health crisis it makes you want to smoke even more.So the best that I can offer is to be a good foundation of support if she wants it and needs it. I did tell her about the forum but she did not seem to think that  would be her type of thing.
I did not think a forum was my type of thing either but gosh looking back on it I never would have made it through this successfully without each and everyone of you as my foundation. Hope you are staying well and your family is well take care talk to you soon.

JR (DPartonFan)

Aug-12

Gloria, 

The heart Cath  procedure went very well.  The doctor said my arteries all looked very good and the stent that he put in in 2018 still looks extremely good. They seem to think that I am so tired because I worked two months of 12 hour night shifts in a row. And I think that may be possible that is the reason because at the end of the two months  is when I started staying tired all the time. I will be off workThrough 1 September and hopefully will get caught up on my rest and be feeling better before I go back to work.

That quote that you sent was really a very good quote and a very accurate quote. The loop recorder that was put into my chest last year was about $56,000 I think. Then the pacemaker that was put in this year was $108,000. So the invoices they are giving me for my 39 years of smoking are terrible. I guess it is a result of 39 years of bad choices and about half a million cigarettes that I have smoked. Today though we are free of the addiction and have escaped  it’s terrible clutches and I am so happy for all of us.

I have been thinking about your peach ice cream again today because it is so hot here. I made some syrup with nuts that goes over ice cream  a couple of weeks ago and forgot all about it so now I need to buy some ice cream, LOL A slice of carrot cake with syrupy nuts drizzled over it is really delicious too. Carrot cake is my second favorite and as I’ve said before chocolate cake with chocolate icing wins first place every time, LOL. Haven’t had a chocolate cake celebration for a long time now. Overdoz Will be ashamed of me for not doing my chocolate cake celebrations Every month.

It’s so good to have you back on the forum. I really missed you during your Break. Hope you are having a great week!

Molly010

Aug-13

Hey JR,

Sorry to hear your friend couldn't quit, but like Carr said, you want to smoke more when you are going through a crisis. Even if she won't quit right away, at least she knows you are there for her.

Happy to hear your cath procedure went well.  You could be tired just from everything happening too.  I work from home and do so much less than before, but find I am so exhausted.  Between Covid, political division, and the economy, there is a feeling of heaviness in the air I think.  That is also part of the reason I am trying to connect back to the forum.  It is nice to have the support.  

Would love some of Gloria's peach ice cream!  The other day, we just put some frozen mango's in the blender and it was so good!!  Almost like icecream but much healthier!  

JR (DPartonFan)

Aug-13

Brian,

Just had You on my mind today and was wondering how you are doing with the boot and the scooter? 
I hope you are healing fine but I know this has to seem like it is taking forever to you. Maybe you will be back on the golf course soon.

JR (DPartonFan)

Aug-13

Molly,

The frozen mango idea sounds good too. I like mangoes. 
I did talk to my primary care about this heaviness in the air that you referred to. I really am tuned in to all that is going on in our nation and the world and think this could even be a bit of depression. I live right smack in the middle of Redneck Hell and I don’t think like most people in my area do so it stresses me out. Many times I just want to smack the stupid out of some of these people around here! Lol Especially the ones who won’t wear a mask even though my county has made it mandatory.

BMann (bmann018)

Aug-14

Thanks for the shout out. I am recovering slowly. Reminds me of the patience required to quit smoking. My shoulder is giving me the most bother right now. I was worried that I re-injured it sleeping the other night, but I am sure the repair job is intact, just that it swells and is painful. I have ditched the scooter and can hobble around on the boot. I hope to shed the boot in another couple weeks. I will be hobbling in a tennis shoe for a while, but at least I can drive again. I hate being stuck here at home, just able to get around the patio and yard, but having to deal with my wife working and on the the phone all day at home. What a complainer I am this morning. I should be happy to be retired and not working, but I need a new hobby, besides HBO series to occupy my until I can get up and around. 

I won't be playing golf much until the first of the year. Funny that I will be looking forward to playing in the winter, when most are resting their game, but the course is open all year and I will tolerate the rain to get out to play again.

How are you doing in these new crazy times? I see folks smoking from time to time and think about how much worse this would be for me if I was still smoking. Are you busy quilting? I cannot remember where you live, but I hope the weather is not too bad. We are supposed to hit 100 this weekend, which is the first time this year. We really have had great weather this summer, but that is normal for Portland. We have the best summers in the world - 80 degrees, no humidity, no biting bugs, no wind, just tall trees. Kidding, I live in the valley and all the trees have been logged long ago, but they are still around. I am about 2 minutes from getting out of town in the farm country and about 30 minutes from the Cascade foothills, so, when I can drive again, I can get out and enjoy the land.

Thanks again for checking in and I hope to stay in touch with you. Let me know how you are doing and finally, I am so proud to be among our group of x-smokers and know that you all are doing so well to stay quit.

Molly010

Aug-15

Hey JR,

We have a few that don't wear masks here, but very few now.  Our numbers are high and many of us now know someone who ended up in the hospital or on a ventilator so I think the realization is setting in that it is very serious.  In the beginning, the precautions we took kept the numbers low so I think many people figured it really wasn't that bad.  I now know 5 people who have had it.  Two died, and the other three were able to recover at home.  The mortality rate if you go on a ventilator is very high.  

Where my sister lives, the numbers are low so they have the same attitude as the people in your area.  She knows no one that has been infected and there are very few deaths so there is an idea it is not very serious.  At least in their area.  My job made me get tested because we will be staggering going back to the office next week.  My test was negative, and I decided to the antibody test which was also negative.  We will be required to take our temperature as we enter the office and complete a wellness form.  I will only be there 2 days a week and only those of us that volunteered will go back.  So far just two of us.  My coworker already had it so I think she may have an immunity now but the science is still unclear as to whether or not she can get it again.  She has given blood with the hope the antibodies can help some others.  

I agree there may be a sort of depression happening for some people.  For me, the sadness and worry over my friend's husband and his struggle with the virus for 3 months was awful.  Staying home and the uncertainty of our future doesn't help.  I am grateful I am not trying to quit smoking during all this.  It would be a real battle.  

It has also been so hot and humid here.  I tried making my mango (vegan) ice cream again!  LOL  This time I added rice milk and some orange juice.  Came out even better.  Threw it in the blender and it tasted like sherbert ice cream.  Had I known mangoes would be an easy frozen treat, I would have started buying them years ago.  I may try peaches.  Getting into baking more now too but ran out of everything like flour, baking soda, etc.    

Have you been doing any quilting lately?  I can't imagine making a quilt in this heat, but it will definitely keep you busy.  

Molly010

Aug-15

Hey Brian,

Glad your recovery is going well even though it is slow.  We will be getting 100 degree weather this week too and I really can't take the heat when it is that high.  I have been experimenting with making frozen treats and was looking into baking stuff before the heat hit.  We have one air conditioner in the bedroom and end up camping out in there during the day until it cools down at night.  This week, however, the humidity is high so when the sun goes down, it doesn't seem to help much.

Not sure what you could do in the interim other than read some books.  I am really behind as to what is new or what you would be interested in reading these days, but that's a thought.  I recently discovered online puzzles and that is fun if you like that sort of stuff.

I was recently with a friend who smoked while we sat on her patio a couple of weeks ago.  She only had two during the time we hung out, but I felt so happy not to have to worry about it anymore.  Cali has strict smoking ordinances now.  She doesn't smoke a lot, but she was trying to be courteous of me there.  Told her she should do whatever she wanted since it was her house and her porch, but she waited until we walked to the store.  I don't see friends much at all these days, but have hung out with two friends one-on-one outdoors.  So far so good.  

Hope your recovery continues to go well.  Keep in touch when you can!