About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Smoke Free Warriors 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/31/18 by slowblumer; 308468 views.
BMann (bmann018)

9/29/21

Hey all,

I was replying to a cc post from Cindi and Denim and thought about all the other fine ex-smokers I love from this site. We just don't get a chance to connect as much these days, but I skim your posts and think about the contacts we all made and how truly concerned and affected we remain by each others' troubles and victories. It is tough getting older, even smoke free, but at least we do not have to pay the $10 for smokes each day.

Things going well here in Oregon. No close fires this year and it is raining again, so danger is past. We have been kayaking a lot this summer around the region. I have lived here 40+ years and never took advantage of all the rivers and lakes here. We had such a hot and dry summer, the weather was always good to get out on the water and and explore, (explore for older people).  I sure want to be able to travel the country soon, but I have to stay close since my wife still works and pays the bills.

Lori, I sure hope you are feeling better. I only know a few folks who are recovering and for a couple it has been a long haul. We are vaccinated, but still avoid large crowds, in an unmasked setting. I am happy we can officiate football games without a mask, hard enough for a 64 year old to move up and down the field with the kids. 

Molly, Gloria and JR, I would love to hear how you are doing and what projects you all have going on.

Don't know what else to say, but would love to hear back from all of you and hopefully make a better effort to stay in touch. I feel bad getting too busy to say hey to folks who helped save my life during 2018 - our great getting up morning of quitting smoking. We represent the 2% who are succeeding at remaining quit for over 2 years and should be very proud of our success - we expended the blood sweat and tears to free ourselves of that addiction. Sometimes I think, why me, but then rejoice "Why not Me!!"

Stay strong and we will talk again soon.

Denim50

10/10/21

Hey JR, 

Congratulations on three years smoke free! I hope you celebrate and have a wonderful day. These milestones truly are amazing from where we all started. Over 1/2 way to exchanging those keys for wings. Hope to see you post here again soon. Have a great week. 

JR (DPartonFan)

10/11/21

Gloria and Denim,

I am so sorry it has taken me this long to reply to your post! I was supposed to have had 7 days off last week and had planned to reply then but my off days shrank really fast! We have so many employees who are getting exposed to Covid and our medical department is making them quarantine for several days so I keep getting called in to work to cover their shifts. I had to cram 7 days worth of things to get done into one day. 
I did manage to do a bridge prep to replace a missing tooth and then took my car in for service and scheduled surgery for trigger finger next Thursday. Getting all that done in a single day was exhausting. Now I am back to work on my regularly scheduled night shifts. 

I was planning to quilt a scrappy quilt but never even got started on it because of working so much overtime. That frustrated me because I was planning to have been sleeping under that quilt this week. 

Gloria- I am so sorry to hear that your doggie is gone. Is that the one you named Cowboy? Glad Dolly is doing ok though. 

I had gone back to wearing masks again in July because so many vaccinated people in our area have been getting Covid. I agree with your assessment that we may be in this through 2023. I hope not- but it sure isn’t looking promising in my opinion.

Has your brother been able to find a place yet? Hopefully the VA will be able to help him get something.

I went to Virginia Beach with my Aunt and Uncle in 2007. I loved it there. There were lots of people fishing off of the pier and they were catching fish like crazy. I asked a dude what kind of fish they were catching and I think he said they were called sun fish.

Denim,

Thanks for the congratulations. I can’t believe three years have gone by now considering how slowly it all started. So with all of this cardiac stuff I really think  if I had kept smoking I probably wouldn’t be here today. So glad I was able to kick the addiction and I know it was only because of the great support and encouragement all of my smoking buddies gave me.

Guess I’d better sign off for now. I am still at work and getting ready to finish up my shift. I’ll try my best not to wait so long to reply next time even if it’s just to say I’m working and will get back to you.

Hope you both are having a good weekend.

CC to Denim50

Hey JR,

BIG Congrats on 3 yrs smoke-free...Way to Go!!!! Sorry I did not get with U sooner...but I attended my niece's beach wedding that had been planned since last year. She got married on Sandbridge, VA beach (which is in Virginia Beach) on 15 Oct. We had been SO looking forward to a happy family gathering this year.

Sounds like you are very busy with work. Please take it easy and take care of yourself. I returned Cowboy back to the shelter after 2 months as he did not work out with Dolly. He was still a puppy and was dragging Dolly around & Dolly was screaming. The shelter lied about his age...I would never have gotten him if I knew he was a 6 month old puppy. The shelter manager told me he was at least a year old (I asked his age). When I returned him, the shelter wanted me to try the older chihuahua who was an elderly owner surrender. They told me he was 4-5 yrs old---I looked at him closely when I got home and told my bff that he was at least 10 Y O. I took him on a trial basis but would not take him permanently until I had his medical records since he was an owner surrender. He was 9 Y O..so I was close to his age. I think he was surrendered due to cardiac problems. I had him for 2 years. He had serious heart issues within 16 months---diagnosed with congestive heart FAILURE. He was on 2 heart meds and did well for 8 months on meds but then his severe sxs returned, even with additional heart meds and fluid pills. Glad I got to have him for 2 years. Dolly & I miss him.

I am helping my brother look for houses...love doing that. He found a house last week and they are processing his loan now. Hopefully he will get to move in by Thanksgiving. Homes are scarce and selling like hot cakes in this and other areas. So thankful my bro found a house and made the best offer so his offer was accepted. It took strategy to get the house, definitely a seller's market. 

More later. Congrats again on being smoke-free and improved health. I LOVE being a non-smoker!!!!! Take Care.

Gloria - smoke-free since 30 July 2018...How Sweet it is!!!sunflowersunflowersunflower

Hello Warriors & others. Happy Happy New Year.  Nice to make it to another year as a non-smoker...loving it! Keep the faith & let's keep going. Still proud to be an ex-smoker.

Gloria - smoke-free since 30 July 2018...How Sweet it is!!!sunflowersunflowersunflower

Msg 3651.2155 deleted
Molly010

Jan-17

Hello and Happy New Year!  I have not been on this site in a while but wanted to reach out and say hello.  

So sorry to hear about your pup passing Gloria!   It is such a difficult thing to go through.  I still think about my dog who passed away last year everyday!  I did adopt a new pup - her name is Evie.  She is young and needs lots of exercise but is adorable.  She had some bald spots and was under weight but is doing well now.  My other dog Captain is still going strong.  He is 12 years old now.  He doesn't like to play with her but she is good for him because she inspires him to move around more than he used to.

I have been vegan for a few years now, so if you want to look into some recipes, let me know.  It is so much easier to go vegan now than ever before!  It does take some trial and error, but I have learned to make the same recipes with some vegan substitutes.  Gardein is a great brand for meat substitutes and there are plenty of recipes online.  Funny enough, when people were first buying out all the meats at the grocery stores, all the vegan foods were still available!  For years my father avoided my vegan cooking when I would visit, but tried a lasagna I made with vegan cheese, spinach and vegan sausage and he loved it.  He froze the rest to save it.  Let me know how it is going!

Congratulations on three years JR!  Sorry I am late.  My mother had a heart attack in December and had a stent put in.  She is recovering with physical therapy.  She never smoked or drank, but had a bad diet.  Lots of sweets and junk food.  She is trying to change her diet and stay away from all the bad stuff now.  Omicron is now getting to a lot of people at my job.  We already have a mask mandate so I try to be as careful as possible and many of us are working from home.  I picked up a few Covid home tests just in case, but they are difficult to get.  One of my coworkers waited for over two hours to get tested last week. 

It is a good thing we quit smoking when we did.  Smokers have a much more difficult time with the virus than non-smokers.  A friend of mine caught the Delta variant - she is one of those people that did not believe in getting the vaccine.  She had to be hospitalized and is still on an oxygen tank two months later.  She was not a smoker but had underlying conditions.  She was struggling about whether to get the vaccine because her doctor kept telling her to get it, but she has so many like-minded friends that she felt pressured not to do it.  She now plans to get the vaccine in February.  Just sad that she is struggling so much when it could have been prevented.  There is very little information about the long term affects of Covid after you get it.  Although you can still get it with the vaccine, at least the symptoms are milder in most cases.  

Hope you both are doing well and staying safe!  So happy to be smoke free!