About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

March 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 142961 views.
Jan2185

Jul-3

Well today is another anniversary for me... 16th months ago I quite cold turkey and am still smoke free.. a reason to celebrate I think especially is today's world!!

Jan sunflower

DbAnne

Jul-3

May I just say congratulations and well done.  6 months ago I also quite cold turkey and have been so very happy ever since I did that.  I trust you probably never think about smoking anymore.  I am also in Canada and we are in a much better position at the moment that many other places  as regards Covid19.  I fear that virus will be around and around for quit some time to come. 

Stay safe,

Cheers  

• Edited July 3, 2020 12:18 pm  by  DbAnne
AsadAKhan

Jul-3

Hi Jan,

Once again congratulations on 16 months. What an achievement.

Yes I am based in Canada and in province of British Columbia. The public health officer here (Dr. Bonnie Henry) did a wonderful job in containing the situation and we are lucky (so far) to have limited cases. I hope it will fad away from here and will not go to extreme levels like in our neighboring state of Washington, US which has around the same population but cases are extremely high.

Regards,

Asad

Jan2185

Jul-3

Hi Anne and thank you :)... cold turkey is never easy but it was the only way for me. I just felt if I vaped or had patches it was exchanging one addiction for another so I did it without either of them.  i had smoked for over 40 years , the last 10 in secret, but after two health scares it gave me the incentive I needed to quit

I wish you all the luck in the world for your quit... sounds like you are doing really well.  One thing i will say is that you never forget that you once smoked - also the smoking dreams and the urges to have "just one" don't stop for a long time... there are days when I could so easily just "have one" but I know it wouldn't just be one.  the dreams can be very vivid - I have woken thinking I really did have one... so don't despair if these things happen to you :)... I dont think I will ever call myself a non-smoker but will probably use the term ex-smoker :)

Good luck Anne :)

Jan sunflower

Jan2185

Jul-3

thanks again Asad :)

Stay safe my friend

Jan sunflower

SusanK1960

Jul-3

Hi Jan,

Well done on 16 months smoke free!  I will join you for your celebration as no one should party by themselves!  WOO HOO!  Turn up the music and dance!

Jan2185

Jul-3

yayay yes indeed... thank you Susan :)  --- here's to another 16 (years grinning )

Jan sunflower

• Edited July 3, 2020 3:33 pm  by  Jan2185
Jan2185

Jul-20

Hi there Asad :)

Another milestone for you - 16 months quit for you :)... well done my friend

It is a very strange world we live in at the moment so I think we have done exceptionally well to still be non-smokers!!!  Congratulations once again :D

Jan sunflower

Jan2185

Jul-20

Hi Cheryl

Sorry I missed your date, but many congratulations for reaching 16 months on 17th July 2020 :)

We have all done extremely well  - well done!!

Jansunflower

cmw0822

Jul-20

Hi Jan..good morning to you! How very thoughtful of you to congratulate me! Thank you so much! A standing ovation for you as well! We are well on our way to our year 2 anniversaries :) Sometimes it seems much longer than a year since my quit date and other days, it is like yesterday and that wicked nicodeamon sneaks in when I am super stressed and tempts me. It only lasts a few seconds and rarely happens,  but it does still happen.  Thank God we quit in March 2019 and not in 2020. That would have been right when COVID was going off the charts.  I can't even think how impossible it would have been to try to stay newly-smober these last 4 months.  I hope you and yours are staying safe during this crisis.   What country do you live in,  Jan? I am in the U.S. in the state of Indiana and we stayed on lockdown longer than most states here  and reopened very slowly.  We are doing ok COVID-wise here. Numbers are up a little, but nothing like the hot spots of the states  of Florida and Arizona.  Mandatory masks and safe distancing are being respected  here and it makes a difference.  I am proud of you for staying smober for this long and I pray it will be a life long accomplishment for both of us ! Before you know it you will have that 2nd beautiful key!! Take care and stay safe :)    Cheryl 

• Edited July 20, 2020 9:29 am  by  cmw0822