About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

March 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 134951 views.
Jan2185

Jul-20

Hi Cheryl

Sorry I missed your date, but many congratulations for reaching 16 months on 17th July 2020 :)

We have all done extremely well  - well done!!

Jansunflower

cmw0822

Jul-20

Hi Jan..good morning to you! How very thoughtful of you to congratulate me! Thank you so much! A standing ovation for you as well! We are well on our way to our year 2 anniversaries :) Sometimes it seems much longer than a year since my quit date and other days, it is like yesterday and that wicked nicodeamon sneaks in when I am super stressed and tempts me. It only lasts a few seconds and rarely happens,  but it does still happen.  Thank God we quit in March 2019 and not in 2020. That would have been right when COVID was going off the charts.  I can't even think how impossible it would have been to try to stay newly-smober these last 4 months.  I hope you and yours are staying safe during this crisis.   What country do you live in,  Jan? I am in the U.S. in the state of Indiana and we stayed on lockdown longer than most states here  and reopened very slowly.  We are doing ok COVID-wise here. Numbers are up a little, but nothing like the hot spots of the states  of Florida and Arizona.  Mandatory masks and safe distancing are being respected  here and it makes a difference.  I am proud of you for staying smober for this long and I pray it will be a life long accomplishment for both of us ! Before you know it you will have that 2nd beautiful key!! Take care and stay safe :)    Cheryl 

• Edited July 20, 2020 9:29 am  by  cmw0822
Jan2185

Jul-20

Hi Cheryl, you are very welcome :)... i never thought I would say this, but I hardly think about it now.  I still have the odd dream where I wake up and think I have smoked one and there are the occasional stressful times when it would be easy to reach for one  but i then remind myself that it would ruin 16 months of being smokeless and for some reason, it stops me in my tracks.  I am also so glad I have done this with the threat of Covid now everywhere we go.. it was extremely hard after smoking for over 40 years, but I can only think I must have been given strength from somewhere to achieve what I used to think was the unthinkable.

I live in the Uk Cheryl ... lockdown is easing slightly for the majority of people but my husband is classed as clinically vulnerable so we are both on day 119 of lockdown in this house.  I couldn't risk going out and bringing the virus home as this could be fatal for him.  He has a heart transplant at the end of 2017 so his immune system is compromised but, having said that, Boris Johnson has now given the 1st August as a date when we can start emerging from the last 4 months of living in our bubble.  Parts of the Uk are back on lockdown but these are only a few hotspots where cases are still quite high.  From Friday we have to wear face coverings when in shops or confined spaces but, to be honest, I am quite ok with that... it will protect others and, I believe, also me... I have heard today that three countries may have a workable vaccine by the end of the year.. we can only hope :)

I hope you and yours are staying safe... I have never known anything like this in my lifetime and hope I never will have to again....

huggsss 

Jan sunflower

AsadAKhan

Jul-20

Hi Jan,

Thanks for remembering me and yes I think it is a big achievement for all of us.

2 days ago I was with my friend when he took cig out of his pocket and played with it before lighting it up. I will not say craving but I get small urge of having few puffs which at that time I though will not ruin my quit. But urge was short lived and I was out of it as soon as I left the place.

This remind me that how easy it is to get back to same old addiction and how vulnerable we are at all the times despite of being 16 months into the quit. 

I hope you are doing good with all this COVID situation and we all will survive out of it.

Regards,

Asad

AsadAKhan

Jul-20

Hello Cheryl,

Congratulations on your 16 months and sorry for missing your date as I am not very active on this forum. Situation in US (COVID wise) is very scary (at least on media). Glad to hear that you are not in hot zones. Please respect the mandatory masks and distancing requirements as new studies clearly reflects mask as a good way to safeguard yourself from this disease.

Regards,

Asad 

cmw0822

Jul-20

Hello Jan.. I totally agree with you..I never thought I could say I was smoke free..it did seem impossible.  I went cold Turkey like you.. used a patch for 1st week to step the cravings down to a hopefully manageable level then went full "turkey"..LOL. The cravings always made me mad.. I felt like,  here I am, trying to do a positive thing for my health and my brain and body are fighting me on it! If anyone ever needs convincing that smoking truly does run the show,  let them try quitting. They'll find out very fast how addicted their minds and bodies are to the cancer sticks. I'll never regret walking away from them.i have read many articles on how the UK is handling COVID. I know Boris fought the virus and won.  I am sorry to hear your husband has immune issues.. I do as well..kidney disease..I am 67 so  i was granted permission a month ago to work at home for good.  I do love that.  I pray you both stay safe and get to come out of the bubble very cautiously.. certain locations in the U.S. are getting very bad again..I wish we would shut international travel down again for awhile..I approve of the masks, gloves and social distancing all over the the world.I think COVID will be here much longer than anyone wants to admit.  Many blessings and hugs to you. Jan!! Cheryl 

cmw0822

Jul-20

Hello Asad!! What a delight to hear from you and hear that you are still a smoke free warrior! I am proud of you for not letting the sneaky cravings ruin your quit..just keep remembering your very worst day while you were quitting and tell yourself.."I will never go through that hell again..nothing is worth that!!"  As I always said when I was early in my quit "Dont ever look back.. you're not going that way! " Stay strong Asad. If you can beat nicotine,  you can stay safe from COVID.. here in the US keeping our  distance to 6' from others,  not going to crowded areas, wearing masks when out and washng hands  a LOT is working.  Some states don't follow that so well and they are pushing the limits and paying for it by failing ill and giving the virus to others.  I pray the Lord allows a vaccine to be created to fight the wicked virus. It would be the true definition of the word "godsend". Hugs and prayers to you Asad. Protect yourself and your quit.. you fight hard to keep them safe!!  Stay in touch..I only check the forum occasionally but it's a joy to hear from fellow quitters like you and Jan!! Thank you :)

• Edited July 20, 2020 2:25 pm  by  cmw0822

Glad to see all of you are way over a year quit now. Hope you are all well and safe. This covid virus has certainly changed everyone's lives.

Year two is so much easier to remain quit but watch out for that just one thinking or falling for it again because it's a trap. Soon you'll all be old timers and cigarette smoking is finally something you used to do a long time ago but now it is of no importance anymore. You are now buying worthwhile things with the money you used to buy cigarettes with. Be very very proud of yourselves as you've accomplished a monumental achievement.  You've proven that you are no sissies!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Amicahomi

Jul-28

Good to see all of you, my 16-month quit mates.  I'll be there on August 2.  Like of some of you, I hardly ever think of smoking at all now.  A test came when I injured my back in May (still on crutches and can't drive or do much for myself).  This, plus Covid, means few distractions.  But things are very slowly getting better and I'm learning to ask for and accept help w/o feeling helpless and weak.  SO GLAD, I'm away from smokes.  Went cold turkey and would do it again.

Jan2185

Sep-3

Hi to you all

Well here I am, 18 months smoke free today. I have been posting here every month since I quit but I actually forgot in August!!  I don't think about it much any more but strangely enough I woke up the other day because in my dream I had lit up and for a second I believed it was true.  I really felt disappointment in myself then realised it was a dream :D.  

Hope all my fellow quitters are doing ok and keeping well :)

Jan sunflower

• Edited September 3, 2020 6:51 am  by  Jan2185