About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

March 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 138628 views.
cmw0822

Jul-20

Hello Asad!! What a delight to hear from you and hear that you are still a smoke free warrior! I am proud of you for not letting the sneaky cravings ruin your quit..just keep remembering your very worst day while you were quitting and tell yourself.."I will never go through that hell again..nothing is worth that!!"  As I always said when I was early in my quit "Dont ever look back.. you're not going that way! " Stay strong Asad. If you can beat nicotine,  you can stay safe from COVID.. here in the US keeping our  distance to 6' from others,  not going to crowded areas, wearing masks when out and washng hands  a LOT is working.  Some states don't follow that so well and they are pushing the limits and paying for it by failing ill and giving the virus to others.  I pray the Lord allows a vaccine to be created to fight the wicked virus. It would be the true definition of the word "godsend". Hugs and prayers to you Asad. Protect yourself and your quit.. you fight hard to keep them safe!!  Stay in touch..I only check the forum occasionally but it's a joy to hear from fellow quitters like you and Jan!! Thank you :)

• Edited July 20, 2020 2:25 pm  by  cmw0822

Glad to see all of you are way over a year quit now. Hope you are all well and safe. This covid virus has certainly changed everyone's lives.

Year two is so much easier to remain quit but watch out for that just one thinking or falling for it again because it's a trap. Soon you'll all be old timers and cigarette smoking is finally something you used to do a long time ago but now it is of no importance anymore. You are now buying worthwhile things with the money you used to buy cigarettes with. Be very very proud of yourselves as you've accomplished a monumental achievement.  You've proven that you are no sissies!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Amicahomi

Jul-28

Good to see all of you, my 16-month quit mates.  I'll be there on August 2.  Like of some of you, I hardly ever think of smoking at all now.  A test came when I injured my back in May (still on crutches and can't drive or do much for myself).  This, plus Covid, means few distractions.  But things are very slowly getting better and I'm learning to ask for and accept help w/o feeling helpless and weak.  SO GLAD, I'm away from smokes.  Went cold turkey and would do it again.

Jan2185

Sep-3

Hi to you all

Well here I am, 18 months smoke free today. I have been posting here every month since I quit but I actually forgot in August!!  I don't think about it much any more but strangely enough I woke up the other day because in my dream I had lit up and for a second I believed it was true.  I really felt disappointment in myself then realised it was a dream :D.  

Hope all my fellow quitters are doing ok and keeping well :)

Jan sunflower

• Edited September 3, 2020 6:51 am  by  Jan2185

Congratulations Jan!!, 18 months - WOW that went by fast.you earned your freedom from this wicked tough drug addiction. It's funny that you had a smoke dream, I had plenty of them during my quit. It still amazes me how ingrained that whole process of addiction evens penetrates our dream state. Those memories of smoking are being rewritten and stored elsewhere in our brain as a past long term memory where it should belong forever. That's why we always need to heed the just one thinking and just not react impulsively. Anyways, keep up the great job of NOPING every day. You definitely are no sissy!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Jan2185

Sep-3

Thanks Debbie :)... yes the dream took me by surprise I have to admit but I have had a few things on my mind recently and I am sure its that age old feeling of "a cigarette calms me down" which we know is totally untrue...  thanks again :)

Jan sunflower

Ovivi

Sep-4

Congratulations, Jan!
18 months is really wonderful, and I’m so happy for you!

Jan2185

Sep-5

Many thanks Ovivi :)

Jan sunflower

SusanK1960

Sep-5

Hi Jan!

It is wonderful to see you again!  I’m sure you had a bit of a moment trying to confirm whether it was a dream or real!  It’s funny, I don’t remember having a dream where I was smoking until I was quitting.  Silly brain!  It is great to hear the not smoking life is working well for you and each day quit is confirming you are one tough lady!  Take care and enjoy the smells!

Jan2185

Sep-6

Thank you Susan... you certainly need a certain amount of will power even after all this time... I shall be really happy with myself when i can say I have given up for two years... seems a massive milestone but one which is now only 6 months away.. :)

Jan sunflower