About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 48682 views.
SusanK1960

Mar-7

Hi June,

I’m dropping by to congratulate you on being 9 month done! (If you were pregnant, this would have a much different meaning).  

The other day it was a springlike 68 degrees, so I was out doing some clean up yard work.  I got a lot done since I didn’t have to stop every 30 minutes to smoke!  

I hope you treat yourself to something special! You are doing amazing!

June2019

Mar-7

Thanks Susan.  thinking about smokes has never been farther from my mind - and I hope that happens to you, soon!

the reason I haven't thought about smoking is 2-fold. busy with work as I mostly prepare taxes for a living. I read a few posts in the Quit Buddies for months before June 2019 to see how people dealt with the 8-9 month period. To minimize stress I haven't been taking many new clients - a suicidal move according to other tax preparers BUT my goal here is to get through the season with minimal stress - if I make less money this year, so be it - I feel it's important to start creating new stress release routines to build on (I am CRANKING country music between clients! and once a day when I remember to, I walk around the block)

the other reason I haven't thought about smoking much since the last week of January is that's when I found out the sharp pain in my right thumb that was making work (as well as doing the dishes and anything involving gripping) was osteoarthritis. the medicine made me sick to my stomach & the next step would have been a steriod shot. 

By the grace of God I was introduced to a massage therapist 2 days before I was going to try the shot. He's more of a holistic healer than just a massage therapist. His goal is to heal the whole person and not just treat/massage the pain. He got me to try an anti-inflammatory diet to test out when my thumb flares up. unfortunately, it works (she says tongue in cheek). if you want to know why I say 'unfortunately', google 'anti-inflammatory diet'. it's a miserable thing - no dairy, no sugar, no refined carbs (pasta and breads - my staples!), minimize the 'good carbs' to earlier in the day so they don't turn into bad carbs or something - I dunno -

Bottom line is that between focusing on my diet, keeping my thumb nimble with stretches, and work, I've had little time to think about being a non-smoker because I've been forced into focusing on other matters for the sake of staying pain free without meds

well, THAT was a wall of text!  I do occasionally check in - your October group is so tight - that's nice. hope Belinda's sister is on the mend. And I hope you are finding peace in this newfound freedom!

hugs-

SusanK1960

Mar-25

Hi,

It just feels so surreal that the nation is in crisis. How is your self quarantine?  Are you keeping busy with taxes?  Is it a relief to have the deadline moved back?  I’m happy to have some mild spring weather a couple of times this week to get out and enjoy the sunshine.

Take care!

June2019

Mar-25

hey, you. I've been thinking how grateful I am to have some solid non-smoking months under my belt before this. Talk about a stressor.

yea, I've been keeping busy with work which I think is good for the most part. the IRS announcement last Friday that the due date for payments and returns is postponed was a relief. I'm still working, but not super long days or weekends. I'll tell ya, though - what I do is considered 'essential' since I work with clients to meet government obligations - and I am SO grateful that I can work outside of the house. I'd go batty and I be pretty ticked off if the government called me non-essential and stopped me from earning a living. 

Do you feel like you've crossed a threshold in your quit? That weekend getaway/get together with family where you didn't think about smoking - that's a nice hallmark! hope you have more and more days like those!

hey - here's something for ya---- ( I spend a lot of time on the siggie forums collecting cuties:) )

SusanK1960

Mar-25

Adorable!  I love cuties!

Yes, not thinking about it was great!  Of course, I didn’t realize it until a couple of days later, but it was nicely noted!  Right now, I feel optimistic about my quit.

The virus crisis is life changing for all of us!  I feel somewhat more prepared for the anxiety/depression/stress that accompanies big changes due to quitting cigs.  There are tools in our toolboxes that help us navigate these emotions.  So I feel better prepared facing these changes/crisis than I would have a year ago and for that I am thankful.

Take care.  Stay healthy and avoid people.  

SusanK1960

Apr-7

Hiya,

Just dropping by on this milestone of your journey to say hello.  Here is a social distance Cheers to you!

Eve1973

Apr-7

Can I have a margarita Susan!

SusanK1960

Apr-7

Of course!  In fact, let’s all have one! 

Loreficent

Apr-8

Now I see where you girls were doing the drinking! Heeheee!

Here I am awake at 1:30 having warm milk and honey. That Margarita looks a lot better!

CC to SusanK1960