About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

July 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 40267 views.
Denim50

Sep-6

Hey Michele, 

I’ve just read your post. While I’m not a member of your group, I hope I’ll do for now. I’m so glad you’re hanging in there, yet so sorry you’re having some really rough days. Not trying to pry but if you’d like to talk about anything I’m a fairly good sounding board. I hit a few rough patches early on in my quit too. Not trying to compare the situations, only saying I can relate to what those rough patches can put us through, and the strength it takes to try to overcome them with the emotions they envoke while at the same time trying so hard not to reach for a cigarette when it was so often our go to in those moments. I remember something Mod Marge posted to our March group around that time that made us think twice before giving into craves though. Here’s a copy of her message to us. Maybe it’ll also help you some with your fight too. 

ModMarge (slowblumer)

4/6/18 

Our brains will lie to us to try to get us to smoke-watch out for brain tricks and fight:    

Ask Yourself 7 Questions Before Smoking a Cigarette

If you absolutely cannot shake thoughts of smoking and are worried you're about to cave in and smoke, stop everything. Sit down with a pen and paper and honestly answer the questions below. Or, answer these questions in advance and carry them with you to review when needed.

• Thinking back to the day you quit, how were you feeling about smoking?
  • How many years did you smoke?  How long did you want to stop?
  • If you go back to smoking will you want to quit again?  Will you wish you hadn't lit up?
  • When will you quit again?  Will it be weeks, months, years, or when illness strikes?
  • What benefits will smoking offer you?
  • Is smoking now worth giving up all of the work you've invested in cessation?
  • Will quitting be any easier the next time around?

Taking an honest look at these questions and their answers will help you find balance when the urge to smoke seems so important that you're ready to throw everything you've worked for away and give in.

Michele, there are so many of us across the forum and certainly in your group who not only want to be here for you but are glad to be here for you. I’m so glad instead of caving you’ve reached out. Be patient with yourself and your quit buddies. They will I have no doubt answer and reach back out to you, if they haven’t already while I’ve been typing this. Stay strong and know that others are keeping you in their thoughts and that you’re not alone. Hope things get better for you soon and wish you the best with everything. Please continue to stay close to the forum and reach out anytime. Sending warm thoughts and best wishes your way. Remember, stay in the moment, minute
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
  • Edited September 6, 2019 12:41 pm  by  Denim50

You allowed the addiction to control you because you thought you had control - that's what junkies think - they think they can handle it. Seems insane and it is as there is no way you are in control. Drugs can take over our sense of self, our coping mechanisms get screwed up and we just give in to the addiction as we don't like feeling awful and we think we are protecting and taking of ourselves better by not depriving ourselves of what we want.

Remember-  yes We May Want Cigarettes BUT We Don't Need Them!!!

We became rebels by smoking, thinking we are all that but truly we were all fooled! Once we got pulled into the addiction we just got profoundly hooked. We were in fact poisoning our bodies.

Now we came to our senses and now must use our intelligence to outwit the seduction of the addiction. Stay stubborn, determined and stay angry at cigarettes for doing this to you. 

Keep on NOPING and posting and supporting your quit buddies!! Good luck in your fight for freedom! NO FEAR!!!!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

alreadysick

Sep-6

These are all very valuable questions to ask oneself before lighting up. I have had to prep for a hurricane, get through it, and now we are starting the cleanup. ALL big triggers here. The old me would have made sure to stock up on cigs, would have smoked a lot during the storm, and now I want one when we break from cleaning up. I have not given in to one of these triggers. I will not lose my quit that I have busted my a$$ to keep. No way! Not going through the initial Hell again! I am stronger than this addiction!

Thanks for your input Denim, it's much appreciated.

Michele

Killed the beast 7/9/19

Denim50

Sep-6

Hey Michele, 

I’m definitely not going to dispute or say anything that might in anyway diminish the fact that those are indeed huge triggers. I’ve had to do the same so many times. The prep, the wait, riding it out, the aftermath, etc.. Kudos to you for staying strong throughout this. I’m so glad to hear you’re safe though. That’s the truly important thing in these situations. I’m so happy to hear your resolve through it all too to maintain your quit. It takes real strength and perseverance and you have it. I know how proud you must be of yourself and frankly, I’m _______ proud of you too. Keep kickin’ it! muscle relaxed 

alreadysick

Sep-6

You rock! What a selfless person you are to take so much time to boost so many people on this forum. You obviously have a gift. Never stop using it!

Denim50

Sep-6

Hey Michele, 

Your message has me . THANK YOU SO MUCH for that kind, sweet message. I have to tell you though, I’m so grateful for all of you too. This forum has done so much for me and I’m so happy/grateful to be able to stick around to help others too and to pay some of that forward. Besides, I get to meet amazing people like the one this morning that knows what I’m talking about if I say that one time there was a fish in the front yard and she knows it isn’t bs. Btw, it was a bass, lmao.  Anyway, thanks again and I’m glad you’re here too. Hugs. 

• Edited September 6, 2019 3:06 pm  by  Denim50
sweetstuff76

Sep-7

Not going through the initial Hell again! I am stronger than this addiction!

I wouldn’t underestimate the addiction , I don’t think any smoker is stronger than the addiction but we can be smarter than it , we all know it only takes one puff to get us hooked again so the addiction is way stronger than us to be able to have us back to smoking like we did from one puff , being smarter than it by gaining knowledge and never taking that puff is being smart . This is where reading Joel’s info helps a lot , reading the law of addiction is enough to keep you saying NOPE 

Quit July 23rd 2019

alreadysick

Sep-7

I would never underestimate the addiction. Any addiction is wickedly strong. Addiction to drugs and alcohol runs in my family. I'm not sure if it's a genetic thing or just something that seems to get passed down by association. When I say I am stronger than this addiction it is simply a mantra I am using to help me stay quit. I can't let nicotine win, as it really is a life or death situation for me. I choose life.

Michele

Killed the beast 7/9/19

QuitJul19

Sep-7

Still doing good! 8 weeks yesterday!! In some ways it's easier, but there has definitely been some romanticizing the old days. The just one thing has popped up a few times. I had a pretty strong mindset that i was done when i started and that's still there. I guess I'm in the start of the icky 3rd month and that's what this is about. Thank you for checking on me!! It's nice to receive the personal message!! Hope everything is good your way!!

07-12-19 dizzy

• Edited September 7, 2019 8:58 pm  by  QuitJul19
Denim50

Sep-9

Hey Michele, 

Huge congratulations to you on two months smoke free!tada I’m sorry my message is so late into the day though. I’ve been away spending time with family since the 6th. I’m trying to catch up. I hope you’ve had a good day and that you’ve treated yourself to something special. Love your determination, stay with that and continue to stay in the moment taking each day as it comes. You’re doing great. Keep going, it get really does get better. So proud of you for staying strong through what this and life has thrown at you recently. You’ve stayed with it and you are doing this! So happy for you! Have a wonderful day. relaxed