About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

July 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 35715 views.
alreadysick

Sep-10

Thank you so much, Denim! I am going by calendar weeks, so I actually hit 8 wks. on Tuesday, but thanks again for remembering!

alreadysick

Sep-10

Oh wow. I need to clarify. That's Tuesday of last week. It's weird how the months with 31 days have made 8 weeks come up so quickly. 

Quitalicious

Sep-11

Hi, overdoz, sent you a private message to see what's up. You haven't logged in since August. I'm so glad you are courageous enough to stick to the forum - sharing your success every time you ditch that monster behind you and getting help from others. We'll keep hammering nails in the nicomonster's coffin, one by one, till it's shut once and for all. Hope you are doing well?

overdoz

Sep-11

Havent really posted anything for a while, been reading others posts. I kinda made it 3 weeks smoke free but than had that one, and then it became a pack, just for a day though, today im back to quitting again. I have been mostly smoke free this summer, keep trying and trying to put a more solid plan together.. How was your Summer?

Quitalicious

Sep-11

Great to hear from you! You did good this time again. I'm a strong proponent of adding up days of being smokefree over a period of time because it does matter big time - your body recovers a little bit every day of being smokefree and your brain rewires and learns new routines slowly. At one point, your brain will be like, "I ain't going through withdrawal again and I ain't sticking nasty in my mouth again, I'm feeling much better without poison." 

It's such a hard addiction to beat. No wonder they make millions of dollars off of our suffering and diseases. Just to think that something like 1/3 of young people will be full-blown smokers within 2 years of trying just 1 single cigarette is staggering. So it's not you, it's the cancer sticks, and you are not alone in this. Put it out, overdoz, and keep going.

Denim50

Sep-19

Hey QuitJul19, 

I hope you see this, as I see you haven’t logged in since the 17th. Hope all is good with you. I want to apologize and explain my lack of response to your message and missing your 2 month celebration. I'm so sorry about that. I logged out on the 6th and returned the 9th. I had been away spending time with family. On the 9th I returned to the forum and started posting messages. However, I didn’t get to finish posting all the messages I wanted, including you and Anthony (AnthonyTurne), nor did I get to check in on everyone I wanted, before I had to log back out because I started feeling bad. Don’t really want to get into everything but long story short, I went to see a doctor, was told I needed to go to hospital. Anyway, I’m home. I go back to my doctor next week for follow up and hoping everything goes   good. I’m definitely late but, huge congratulations to you on over 2 months smoke free! That’s wonderful. So proud of you! Please continue to stay close to forum and don’t fall prey to that only one thinking. It isn’t ever only one, voice of past experience here, lol. Hope you’re having a good day. relaxed 

P.S. I’m going to CC Anthony this message. I hope you don’t mind but I want him to know what happened too, as I missed a important message from him also. Again, I’m sorry I wasn’t able to be here. Talk again soon. Hugs. 

• Edited September 19, 2019 12:11 pm  by  Denim50
QuitJul19

Sep-19

Thank you!! Do not apologize!! I hope you are feeling better!! So sorry you felt bad enough to require a trip to the hospital. Be sure you are taking good care of yourself and not overdoing things. Not as much junkie thinking here lately, but seem to be more snacky these days relaxed so I need to reign that in before I put on weight!!

07-12-19 dizzydizzy

• Edited September 19, 2019 10:16 pm  by  QuitJul19
sweetstuff76

Sep-23

9 weeks tomorrow and 2 full months today I get now . It’s been exhausting , it’s been a challenge , my body has protested and my anxiety likes to kick up a gear when I scare myself with health concerns BUT it’s been worth it . Changing my mindset back in week 4 was key to moving along and I’m enjoying the freedom and not being a slave to nicotine . I won’t hide away from triggers and it’s always ONE DAY AT A TIME 

Quit July 23rd 2019

Denim50

Sep-23

Congratulations Sweet on two months smoke free!tada I hope you have a wonderful day celebrating. These milestones are so amazing and represent so much, because we know what it takes to reach each of them and how hard won they are are. You have a lot to be proud of and I hope you treat yourself to something special today. You’ve earned it! relaxed Stay strong and, as you said, keep taking each day as it comes, one a time. Stay vigilant and keep going. You not only can do this, you are doing this.  GO SWEET! 

• Edited September 23, 2019 9:36 am  by  Denim50
Denim50

Sep-23

Hey QuitJul19, 

Thank you so much for your message. I spent a couple of days logging in and out, here there in short intervals trying to catch up, as I still wasn’t feeling my best. Yesterday I finally felt better than I had in a while, so hopefully that medication is working. I return to the doctor Tuesday for follow up. Hopefully that will go good. I know what you mean, oh goodness, I snacked and added weight after quitting, most of my group did. We didn’t concern ourselves with it though, other than gripping a bit, lol. After that one year milestone is when we started trying to get rid of it again. One, has got the weight back off. Three of us are still working on it. The rest didn’t really have any issue with weight change, lucky them, lol. It really can be a issue though with smoking cessation. Here are some of the wonderful articles about it. 

https://www.verywellmind.com/faqs-about-quitting-smoking-and-weight-gain-2825351

https://www.verywellmind.com/how-to-avoid-weight-gain-when-you-quit-smoking-2825349

https://www.verywellmind.com/smoking-and-metabolism-2825347

https://www.verywellmind.com/snacking-and-weight-gain-when-you-quit-smoking-2824528

I’m sending you a pm. It’ll show at the top of your screen. Have a great day. relaxed