About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

July 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 35739 views.
4quitness

Oct-21

Don't feel bad. I go to the gym regularly, but I am so far behind in housework it's disgusting. I have absolutely no motivation or energy to do my normal routines anymore. I've made everything about this quit. I hate being a slob, but I just can't seem to get anything else done. I'm really hoping month 4 will be the turning point.

4quitness

Oct-21

I agree. This is the roughest part ever for me. I've almost gone to the gas station on more than one occasion, but I refuse to lose this quit. It is my everything right now.

Ginger3077

Oct-21

Thank you both for your response. Got ready this morning heading to the YMCA then I'll see how the rest of the day goes. Have things I have to do. Probably won't. Oh well it will still be there when I'm ready. Have a good smoke free day.

In reply toRe: msg 355
sweetstuff76

Oct-23

3 months today .

yesterday was a better day for me , I’m making sure I get relaxation In and really work on calming this anxiety , I know right now it’s the root of how bad I’m feeling . I’m the opposite to most of you and I force myself to do those things that I feel I have no energy for etc , I keep busy and make time for exercise , something I enjoy doing and a meditation and unwind before bed, I have to or my anxiety and low mood will get the better of me , I get out a lot during the day  . I have a long way to go on working on my emotions and life’s challenges without a smoke , I have no desire for one and know I’m done on that front so no real urge to cause a relapse , what I’m not enjoying is how I’m feeling but it’s patience with the process and giving my body that time to heal . This wasn’t a planned quit but more a forced quit and its turned out to be the best way for me because the fear of withdrawals and failure due to my anxiety disorder made me scared of even trying , I was always waiting for that right moment and there never would have been one , as it happens the quit started at the most stressful time ever and with my anxiety already high . 
It’s been tough and many up and downs , here’s to the next month

Quit July 23rd 2019

sweetstuff76

Oct-23

Please try and go on your road trip , I know you are not feeling great and are lacking motivation but it might be what you actually need to help turn things around , change of scenery and routine and relaxing . We would all like our bodies to heal and feel the real benefits of the hell we are going through but 3 months is kind of early after years of abuse . You’ll get there Michele xx

4quitness

Oct-23

Thank you! We both have anxiety issues in common. It makes it so hard to live a normal life, especially without smoking. The main problem I have with this trip is we're going to a place where we've been many times before, so I associate the whole trip with smoking. I will just have to get over this trigger like I have all the other ones. Trying not to focus on the fact that I smoked in certain places every other time we went. I'm going to do my best to enjoy the fall foliage as a non-smoker.

4quitness

Oct-23

I could have written what you just wrote. Anxiety, force quit, fear of withdrawal, and fear of failure, etc. Wow! That's me in a nutshell.

You and I will both be fine! We are not quitters, so we have this! Hang tough!

Michele

sweetstuff76

Oct-23

It really does make life hard and now taking smoking away that you felt kept you calm or in my case that little bit braver , if I was struggling in a situation I’d leave have a smoke and back to it , now I need to find ways to deal with all these emotions without smoking . Ive faced a fair few triggers but there’s always more to come . 
My avoidance list was soo long due to anxiety that my quality of life was dismal , anywhere that caused me anxiety or a panic attack was then avoided , I couldn’t leave the house alone and even with a safety person there were places avoided and couldn’t go too far from home .I’ve come a long way in that sense but it’s like doing it all over again as a non smoker and proving to myself that  I can , it’s then that I feel my anxiety spike , like I’m lost , I don’t want to light up but don’t know what to do type thing so re learning how to deal with emotions . 
we will get past this xx

4quitness

Oct-23

I totally understand. I can't drive very far away from home by myself, and sometimes I can't drive over big bridges at all. I read an article that said that nicotine can be a cause of panic/anxiety disorder. I'm thinking , well I quit so why doesn't it go away? I don't like taking meds, but I literally can't function without them. I also know I won't start smoking again, as I couldn't take the early weeks again. There is no way I'm going through that Hell again! I thought to reach the 3rd month was the key too, but the veteran quitters on the forum said that you have to reach your 4th month. Everybody is different, so there is always hope that it can end sooner for some.

l1717mary

Oct-25

Good morning

Well done getting tru u are over the hardest time now onto your 4th month you can do it.

Mary 11 months