About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

September 2019 Ex-Smokers   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 95108 views.
Brenda (1sept19)

9/6/19

I understand.  I think I am doing the same thing, for the same reasons. If there is an addiction to be had, I will find it. relieved I like that, though, staying mad at cigarettes instead.  I hate the slave they have made of me.

Alex (alexsmoker3)

9/6/19

If there is something to be addicted to, I WILL find it and consume it.  I often wonder about this - WHY do I feel the need to put something external into my body to make the inside of me feel better?  It is so weird.  Like, even though I'm not smoking, I'll eat a Reese's cup and "feel better".  But I'm not any better.  And now I'm fatter.  LOL!!

Brenda (1sept19)

9/6/19

I have wondered the same thing many times.  Thought I might have an addictive personality ?  Or I am trying to fill some void ?  Don't know, but I have been this way as far back as I can remember.  OCD?

Anyway,  I will keep trying to find a good addiction.  relaxed

Alex (alexsmoker3)

9/6/19

LOL, good point!  "Good addiction".  Hmmm...wink

Michaela,

I'm just over three days and in the same boat with the anger and the snapping and the dizziness. It's weird and it sucks. The wonky sleeping sucks worse. 

And out the other side, FREEDOM.

Lol, yeah, definitely good fodder for therapy tomorrow -- yay for timing! Absent the numbing that nicotine provides, I'm mentally dashing around for the nearest substance I can get my hands on. Thankfully I can see it for what it is and give it an "I know, honey," but the thoughts are definitely there...

Your brain was changed once you got hooked. Don't underestimate this Hard Core Drug Addiction that took control over your life. Changing your brain chemistry takes time but it will happen due to Plasticity. We will relearn and your brain will rewire the neural pathways with time. So stay angry at cigarettes for doing this to you and don't let anything or anyone sabotage your quit. Protect it like you would a tiny baby or a tiny puppy and avoid the situations where it's just too easy to give up. Getting a solid quit mindset takes time. Somewhere in month four after all the repetitions of NOPING every day you'll get a type of peace in the quit signalling that some nicotine receptors have shut down. These receptors will continue to shut down at varying intervals throughout the entire first year. You'll get emotional ups and downs and possible headaches or other weird things like smoking dreams throughout the first year. By all means keep close to the forum, post often and support your fellow quitters as this addiction is best fought with other like minded people. But remember that never smokers don't get it -- WE DO! Even doctors don't really get how powerful this drug addiction is but WE DO!!!! So, take those deep breaths, stay distracted, and drink lots of fluid to stomp those craves till they no longer affect you. Refuse to Lose! Keep a NO FEAR ATTITUDE-- BRING IT ON BECAUSE YOU CAN TAKE IT!!!! 

If this was easy, everyone would be quit but it is tough and You Are Tougher Than You Think! Use your rational intelligent mind to outwit and wait out those craves. You'll feel so empowered once you get free and be like me and never look backwards only forwards! Good luck in your battle against the nicotine monster! relaxed

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

In reply toRe: msg 70

With props to Jessica Hagy at https://thisisindexed.com/2019/09/they-dont-know-you/ since it's her work.

They of course being the nicodemons. Let's get ridiculous!

alreadysick

9/6/19

Alex (alexsmoker3) said:

If there is something to be addicted to, I WILL find it and consume it.

Please tell me you don't mean hardcore drugs?

Alex (alexsmoker3)

9/6/19

Thank you Debbie!  What a great pep talk, I love it!  I feel empowered! purple_heart