About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

October 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 21229 views.
Brenda (1sept19)

Oct-15

MarkOU812 said:

I am not giving up anything, I'm gaining everything. 

There you go.  That attitude and one day at a time will get you to other side, which is freedom.  Make yourself at home and read everything you can.  You can do this !

DanJF3

Oct-15

I’m happy to have found this chat!  I’m about to start on what I hope to be a long term (and permanent) quit this time.  I bought what I intend to be my last pack today and once I am through it, that's it!  It’s comforting to see that I am not alone in getting anxious about the idea of quitting and having some self-doubt as I attempt to make this long-lasting positive change.

In the past I have had a couple multi-year quits and even in the past year got up to about 3 weeks twice.  The physical withdrawal isn’t typically a huge issue (although at times I definitely feel it) but after time I just miss it and end up lighting up.  I’m starting to get to that point where I am getting more angry with doing this rather than resigned to keep smoking and actually I haven’t even been enjoying the taste much at all recently so hopefully that is a sign that now is the time.  Also went to the gym today and had a nearly smoke free day and feel pretty good right now.  

I wish the best to all you out there fighting the battle and I look forward to keeping this chat close as I turn the page on smoking.

June2019

Oct-15

Greetings DanJF3 - and welcome to the forum. Thanks for mentioning how the taste starts to get disagreeable - you should write that in your quit journal! Wish there was a way to box up the nasty aftertaste to remind us of the bad when cravings kick in.  Also, morning mouth is much better once you get off the smokes.

Get your quitin' tool box stocked up and ready for your forever quit

June2019(puff free since 6/7/19)

jupiter58

Oct-15

Juliann,
I haven’t back for a bit. Today was 1 week for me. Yes, I am going cold turkey. I cut back and used lozenges for a bit but I did not count my quit officially started untili stopped all nicotine. How are you doing? I hope you are winning the battle. The only way to stop smoking is to never take another puff. Have you been doing your daily pledge?
jupiter58

Oct-15

Thank you evilla! I did make a week this morning!!!!
Auggielou

Oct-15

ModMarge (slowblumer) said:

As ModLisa says: "When in doubt go to sleep". 

As ModLisa says: "When in doubt go to sleep". ... Love this one!!! I think that's the only way I  can make it through the first 3 days. Thanks for all the great info!! All great ideas. Quitting tomorrow for sure. 

MarkOU812

Oct-15

On my 3rd day. Just pulled into hotel after 14 hour drive. Was a bit concerned about gas stops (3), but I was actually back on the road before I realised getting a pack didn't even cross my mind. Surprised me. 

Did have a few loud, not for church goer ummm...  conversations with my addiction. Of course it had nothing to say for itself, because it knows I'm right. ;)

Now a 2 hour trek in tug o the mountains for 11 days.... no choice, but not to smoke. Pitty any bear I run across lol.

Congrats Jupiter

TallCup409

Oct-16

Julian, I congratulate you !! You are a great fellow - this is an excellent result!))

In reply toRe: msg 113

Hi October Ex-Smokers,

Check out Brad's story when he quit smoking.  I remember his story help me keep my eyes on the prize = freedom.

JR (DPartonFan)

Oct-16

I just passed my one year anniversary. Last year at this time I couldn’t even think in terms of weeks or months and definitely not a year!  But the days went by and turned to weeks, then months and finally I have reached a year smoke free. Smoking is just a passing thought now. When I see other people smoking now I feel sorry for them. Smoking truly is a circle of addiction that is only broken when we stop feeding the nicotine monster his “fix”. 

This journey may not be the easiest one you take but it will be the most important one towards a better life. 

I came across this poster online and it really helped me a lot to keep this in mind....,