About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

October 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 23342 views.
In reply toRe: msg 6
badbreath

Oct-22

Hi jullian

ive been smoke free for 4 months and 1 day now. Before this i tried quitting 100’s of times with no success. For me 3 thi gs really helped:

-1) try to smoke your last cig at 12 noon. When the going gets really tough(6-8) hours after , go to bed and sleep. When you wake up tell yourself its only 6 hours then you have a full day. 

-2) try to diet and lose weight while stopping to smoke. For me it became harder not to think about chocks than cigs, and i did cheat alot on the diet but it took my mind off smoking. Drink a lot of water. 

-3) tell the people around you that you stopped. That way youl feel real stupid to light up again. 

At the start its really sh@$y but after a few days you start to feel really good. 

Good luck. 

Brenda (1sept19)

Oct-22

Take it one day at a time and keep those reasons firm in your mind, better yet, write them down. Wishing you all the best with your quit.

Brenda (1sept19)

Oct-22

Congratulations on 4 months free.  You are doing awesome.

In reply toRe: msg 129
QuitRunner

Oct-22

This could be my millionth time trying to quit, but I'm trying to quit. I just soaked the last of my pack in water and threw it away, along with all the lighters I could find. I'm scared I'm going to die. I'm scared I'll never succeed. I'm scared I'll turn into a monster with my mood swings. I want to feel the relief of freedom from slavery. I want to feel committed. I want to mourn this as if there is absolutely no way I can ever go back to it. And hopefully, with a few days under my belt, that will happen. For now I just plan to sleep as much as possible :) So hello, October 2019ers!

Welcome to the forum and READ EVERYTHING!! Since you've tried to quit many times you need to accept the ickiest stuff that is totally normal for three to four months. The icky threes -- first 3 days, first 3 weeks and first 3 months are the toughest battlefields - then a few nicotine receptors shut down and your blue depressive moods lift then it goes in waves of feeling great to feeling blue (but less intense) right up the a year. You might get digestive issues (constipation, hyperacidity) increased appetite, coughing spells, headaches, insomnia, weird smoking dreams, and other things but it will all balance out. Remember year 1 is for quitting and year 2 is for losing the weight and getting strong and healthy again. 

This is a very emotion laden drug addiction. Stay angry at cigarettes for doing this to you because they changed your brain chemistry and every cell in your body. I found the nicotine receptor in my stomach so difficult to deal with and I had to quit coffee and use antacids constantly right up to 10 or 11 months. At the four month mark my sleep patterns returned to normal as well my constant sore throat that tasted like charcoal finally healed because new cilia had grown back. I coughed for a good six months and became very sensitive to cigarette smoke. I avoided cigarette smoke and any smoke or noxtious odors because they really irritated my nose.  I began to really see Smokers as drug addicts - they get all intense & full of anxiety when they need that fix. Some even will pick out old butts and suck in that poison. We were all poisoning ourselves! When we quit, those same poisons and the drug nicotine do not go quietly. Our brain chemistry is going to transform back to a normal non addicted brain but it needs time to make that happen. 

So, read everything on this forum to get a solid grip on how the weeks and months will go. You really are like a soldier going into a battlefield and you need a NO FEAR ATTITUDE!! When the craving hits - drink ice water, do lots of deep breathing, distract yourself by going for a walk/run, going to brush your teeth or flush with mouthwash to keep that just brushed feeling, do jumping jacks, punch pillows, get outside etc. do anything to outwit and change your patterns. Develop a distraction plan and a smoke Quit Mindset plus do this One day at a Time. We can't rush this anyways so just like starting a new career or college course we need to put in the effort and the time to conquer this wicked tough drug addiction. So keep reading and NOPING everyday along with your October quit buddies and everyone on this awesome forum. Tell that nicotine monster voice to shut up whenever he screams at you or tries to seduce you back to smoking because it's a trap! Good luck in your quit journey.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

QuitRunner

Oct-23

Thanks Debbie! Knowing what to expect and managing expectations - "year 1 is about quitting" - is so, so helpful. I don't need it to be easy and I will stay angry.

Made it through the first hours of the day without a smoke, so I'll take that as a win :) Made ice at work this morning so I could have ice water. And heading over to the pledge thread right now. 

Kristin

Brenda (1sept19)

Oct-23

Welcome to the forum and congrats on you deciding to be rid of this addiction.  Many of us have quit loads of times and I know we have all been scared when we first start our quit, but it does get better.  Each week and month will get a little better.  It does take time but just take it one day at a time, don't look forward or back, just today.  You can do this and I wish you all the best. 

QuitRunner

Oct-23

Thanks Brenda! I like the idea of "don't look forward, don't look back." Too often I tell myself I'll fail because I've failed so many times in the past. But I have to stop thinking that way.

Meantime looks like I've made it through my first day, which puts me 1/3 of the way through the first of the icky threes :) 

It was a day that felt like it had about 72 hours in it. I almost caved at around 3:30. But made it. Now to bed!

Brenda (1sept19)

Oct-24

I look at my past attempts as lessons learned for the big finale. relaxed Congrats on getting through that first day.  Each day you make it to bed smoke free is a day of victory.  Keep going, one step, one day at a time.

JohnsonFu

Oct-24

Take one day at a time. Totally agreed.
Looking far ahead only mess u up as the withdrawals and effects will eventually pass. Stay in the forum, whine about anything and people will be here to help! 

The best advisers come from ex smokers! Going through what we are going through now those withdrawals and letting us know it’s temporal! 

stay strong and kick this cig butt