About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

October 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 62195 views.
PrepsEtc

10/7/19

Thank you for the reply. I have a hypnotherapist coming tomorrow to teach me some tools to use, plus I just ran into this course a Facebook friend sent me to check out.

EasyWay

https://www.allencarr.com/usa/easyway-quit-smoking/programs/on-demand/faq/

lindnog

10/7/19

Hi there and welcome to this amazing forum.  I have had a few quits, one which lasted for 3 years, but I smoked “just one cigarette “ and it took me another couple of years to get myself back into the right mindset. I am now in my second month smoke free  

My method of stopping smoking is that I read Allen Carr’s Easyway book and everything he writes I agree 100% with. I definitely recommend this method to everyone. 

Linda

PrepsEtc

10/7/19

Yes, I just today found his method through  friend on Facebook. Thanks

lindnog

10/8/19

Good luck & happy reading 

FairyCake369

10/8/19

Hi

i just quit 30 minutes ago. So I am a bit nervous but I know I can do it. Good luck Julian - hopefully we can support each other

ModAndrea

10/8/19

Welcome to the forum, Fairy Cake! Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking!I 

My best advice is to read everything you can on this addiction and the quitting process. The more you know, the greater your chances are for success. A great resource is our Quit Smoking Library. Scroll down to this folder in the column on the left under DISCUSSIONS.

You'll find two additional folders, Dots and Stars Milestones and One Year and Beyond Milestones. These are posts from forum members celebrating reaching milestones in their quits. They offer tremendous inspiration.

Take this one day at a time and post often.

Hugs,

Andrea

You can do this Fairy Cake! I'm glad you're here. blush

juliannsc63

10/8/19

Hi FairyCake,

Yes you can do it!  It has been really hard but I have been using 2 mg nicotine cinnamon gum to get me through the moments that I am really craving.  I keep thinking of the day when I won't think about it at all and will be free of it - and be healthy and happier.  I almost can't remember when I didn't smoke... but I want to make new memories of being free and clean and smell nice all the time. I don't want to need a ventilator someday, and suffer with breathing... The hardest is when I get frustrated with my son when helping with his homework or get stressed with work!  Then I stomp around a bit, chew gum, and breathe deeply 5 times.  We can do this - we can do it together.  I am done with being a closet smoker, killing myself!   heartpulse

Wayne1957

10/9/19

Hello fellow addicts.  I guess I'm on the October train.  I've been smoking for more than 50 years.  And I've been a stone cold chain smoker, whenever circumstances would permit, for most of those 50 years.  Four packs a day was my usual dosage.

I started lurking here about 3 days ago, with no particular quit date in mind, using a chef's timer to try to insert 12 minutes of no-smoke time in between cigarettes, with the intention of adding another minute between smokes each day.

A post on the WhyQuit.com site convinced me that cutting down, rather than quitting cold-turkey, was doomed to fail eventually, and was nothing more than a program of self torture for however long it takes me to fail.

That realization was yesterday, about noon time, after about 4 morning smokes.  So I've been smoke-free for about 34 hours now.  

This all seems doable, so far.  But, correct me if I'm wrong, the "withdrawal fun" doesn't really start until after detox (about 72 hours).  So I'm kind of terrified about hitting that milestone.  At any rate, I'm on the train now; more terrified of letting go of the train than to keep hanging on, so I'm hanging on tight.

Best regards to all of you.

• Edited October 9, 2019 1:22 am  by  Wayne1957
slowblumer

10/9/19

Hi Wayne,

Welcome.  Quitting smoking is very difficult but also doable, especially with the right information and support.  All of that is right here, so stay with us.  After the physical withdraw from nicotine the brain has to heal  and it will create many mind games to get you to smoke.  Being aware of what is happening can help you deal  with the urges to smoke. 

Tips to Beat the Mind Games When You Quit Smoking

If you haven't yet read the information at the beginning of this thread, check it out, especially the Homework for Ex-Smokers link:

Homework for New Ex-Smokers

Brenda (1sept19)

10/9/19

Welcome Wayne and Fairycake,

Congratulations to both of you on your quits, this is the best gift you will ever give yourselves.  As you have read from others, read, read, read and post til your fingers hurt.  This will educate you about this horrible addiction and keep you in the right mindset to quit.  Take it one step, moment and day at a time and just don't smoke.  You both can do this.