About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

October 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 44901 views.
SusanK1960

Jan-19

Baby Yoda is so stinking cute!

Emotions, why can’t they just pick a lane and stay there!  In the first three months, I could focus on the many physical changes, which helped me stay positive.  So far, I would call the 4th month the BLAH month.
I have never been quit for this long in my life, so I have only other people’s post to rely on, and there aren’t a lot of posts about the 4th-6 months.  Even journals go quiet around this time,so I’m writing this for reference.

I am sad, some due to season, some due to life, some due to fear, but I’m tired of change. Maybe I just want comfort and assume comfort comes from repetition.  Is it reasonable to assume that if I keep repetitively changing, then I should get comfortable?  

Debbie S stated she read somewhere that a peace is found 120-140 days in a quit. Psychologically, I still want the smoking action.  The junkie within me associates that action as comfortable. Its not a craving and it’s not a habit, so what is it, muscle memory?

Ah you are in the missing something phase where we get a little bored with this quitting. But, just keep going no matter what. Yes you'll still get the I wanna cigarette moment BUT it will just get easier to just say no way I'm not falling for it because it's a trap. We all are in for the mental fight of our lives with this wicked drug addiction that is relentlessly trying to suck us back in. 

Hang in there and some nicotine receptors will shut down. I found I got headaches right around the times when they would shut down. They do shut down throughout the entire first year leaving us with about 6% at a year so we need to stay vigilant as it takes two years to have an 80% chance of staying quit for life. 

All I can say is life truly will be better once you get that first year behind you. Stay on course, stay stubborn, determined and committed to ending your drug addiction. Be very very proud of your monumental achievement and keep smiling!! Show that nicotine monster that you are the boss! relaxed

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

48yrsmokin

Jan-20

Boy Belinda you thru me off for a little bit. You were the easy 1 to spot cause of your avatar from before. Got to get used to the new 1. He's cute wife wants to take grandson to build a bear for Yoda.    You guys are so right lately about the Blah time ITS HERE. It's great that I am here which hasn't happened in like forever. But yes it's a great accomplishment------ahhhhh---------whats next????????  Guess I was always waiting for that next milestone.     Now the wait is Life of nomalsy???????    Don't know what that is and it's winter. 2 of the what if's?????  Spent time with the ice fetival and smoker friends this weekend. 1 lady asked me how i can stay in the smoker garage when i'm not smoking anymore. Yes it is the challenge and I would rather deal with that challenge then sit back and wonder???????  I have smoker thoughts but shrug them off of grabbing and lighting up 1 of the butts. It comes and goes pretty quick. So thats how I deal with it.                                                                                                So the waiting mind game begin  another phase in the continueing saga as the NOPEING BEGINS WITH NO END..                                                                                                                            It's a great thing that I am  not SMOKING and damn well proud of it. There's a few things in life accomplishments that I am Damn proud of and this is something can take off that BUCKET LIST. CHAAAAAA CHING.                                                       Continue noping since 17th OCT. 2019 

Belinda2019

Jan-20

Thanks for this Debbie - absolutely ‘missing something’ resonates so strongly....

Need to find something positive to replace it with.....

I have arts, crafts, cross stitch. Also crossword and sudoku......and all this extra time to do it

Belinda2019

Jan-20

Oh lol . I’m still having the odd crave that turns my brain into that avatar

But that Baby Yoda is so cute...I cannot wait until they have him at Build A Bear here...they’re saying April . I’m taking my daughter (she’s 18) and we’re each getting one.....at least being off the smokes I can afford them now

Keep on NOPEing......

Belinda2019

Jan-20

Too damn right it’s BLAHHHH! Thank goodness for Baby Yoda, his cuteness always brings a smile to my face . Seriously that little critter is too cute

I still get ‘sort of craves’...by sort of, it’s like I can feel them start, but then they just sit there. They’re blunted, almost numb - but still there. I found it very useful on the long drive home tonight to yell ‘go away’ very loudly at them - and it worked....I’m thinking they’re the highly resistant receptors that won’t give up without a fight, coming out for a last hurrah....

I’ve decided that I’m treating myself to a massage this weekend and I’m getting eyebrows and eyelashes done tomorrow

I hope your day is better tomorrow xx

SusanK1960

Jan-21

Thanks for the idea, Belinda!  Still on the road, but a change of scenery is needed! 

Belinda2019

Jan-22

Congratulations guys

CC to MarkOU812
SusanK1960

Jan-24

How awesome!

Smoke free for