About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

October 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 66340 views.
48yrsmokin

5/22/20

Yea Debbie was looking for the time period write ups and haven;t really seen anything. Cause it would be good to read about these times cause it's getting questionable at times. I've been fighting with myself at times cause the impulses come on strong and persistent at times. Even at the lenght of time when you think that it will pass easy. It's not. I think this is the strongest i've had to work at my quit for a long time.   I'm sure it will pass but it's  putting me to the test in all the wrong ways.                                                                                   I'm back to the daily NOPE TO THE SMOKE. Not going to do it. My wife helped the other day when she said she really does not miss that Nasty cigg. smell at all.                                                                                               So NOPE TO THE SMOKE SINCE OCT17th 2019. and holding on.   

It's the one day at a time thinking all quitters must adhere to even at the one year mark. Our brains were changed once we got hooked and those nagging thoughts of smoking seem to light up the last remaining nicotine receptors. But, I must say I do not miss smoking or crave at all. To be finally free after smoking for over 44 years really is an accomplishment. I remember feeling so dumb for smoking for so long as I thought if others can quit why can't I. All I can say is don't fall for it again because it's a trap. Keep lots of quit quotes handy and be proud to have this addiction under your control and you chose to stay quit. Keep on noping!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

DebraAnne60

5/25/20

Thank you Susan,

That was a good read.  I totally get that it is a journey which can last months and years.  I am in for the life long quitter so, I expect a nip or tug to smoke every now and again will come and it is always up to me to say NOPE, thx.

Cheers 

SusanK1960

5/25/20

Hey there,

It is always a pleasure to hear from you.  You have such a phenomenal attitude about this journey!  Thank you for your no nonsense approach.

I was at our sons house yesterday and he has a couple of friends who smoke.  It was comforting to smell, and yet, did not stir any wishing within me.  Just accepting it for what it is.  They also had a fire going for grilling, which was also comforting.... Ah, summer memories!

SusanK1960

Jun-9

Hi Wayne,

I am sorry this acknowledgement is getting to you a bit late, however this does not diminish your accomplishment. A big Congratulations on another successful month without smoking!

People throw stones at you and you convert them into milestones.      

Sachin Tendulkar

Wayne1957

Jun-10

No apologies needed, Susan.  I was a 4-pack per day smoker.  At eight months quits, that's about 19,200 cigarettes I didn't smoke; about $9,600 I didn't spend.  It seems kind of ridiculous that I ever smoked that much now, but the numbers don't lie.  Quitting is its own reward!

• Edited June 10, 2020 4:16 pm  by  Wayne1957
SusanK1960

Jun-10

WOW!  That is some hard core quitting! 

DbAnne

Jun-10

That is really good work there Wayne, nice goin.  Have to say, very impressive indeed.

Cheers on 8 months.

Congratulations GIF | Gfycat

Eve1973

Jun-13

Good morning Susan!

Happy 8 months! You are doing great!

I know you have had your difficulties and some heartache! But you have gotten through it smoke free! Fantastic and keep on inspiring us with your success! Also thank you for being a thoughtful cheerleader through out! Have a great day, be proud of yourself and treat yourself to something special! 

Best to you Eve

SusanK1960

Jun-13

Thank you Eve!  I have had difficulties, however, I have had achievements as well!  That I have made it thru 8 months feels awesome, because I have never had the belief in myself that I could do this.  It has taken the memory of the guilt feelings of previous failed quits and this forum to help propel me to, the first time in 40 years of smoking, be at 8 months of not smoking! On to 9 months!