About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

November 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 39187 views.
Denim50

11/11/19

Hey Newthomas, 

Welcome and congratulations on your decision to quit. Please keep reading, posting, and joining in. Also, please read the post from Mod Marge, and mine to RochieRo, as same advice applies. I also see Brenda has stopped by to welcome you both also and offer support and advice. I’m sure others will too. We’re all happy to have you joining us here. Reach out anytime. I look forward to seeing you around the forum also.  

In reply toRe: msg 15
Denim50

11/11/19

Hey November Ex-Smokers, 

I see two of you here and have seen at least three others that have posted, but not found their way here yet. I hope you join in this thread soon too. I wish all of you the best with your new quits. We have a wonderful forum full of support and encouragement. We also have games to help distract us and a great quit smoking library, both toward the bottom of the menu. Please settle in, reach out and join in. The beginning is the hardest but it does get better further along. Until then, please take each day as it comes and stay in the moment. Looking too far ahead early on can sometimes cause added stress and anxiety that you don’t need when starting out. Take it day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute if necessary. You can do this. Will it be easy? No, but it will be worth it and it will get better. We’re all happy you’re here and are cheering you on. We all support each other, so stay close and stay strong. Wishing each of you the best toward your success. Post often and I look forward to seeing all of you around the forum. Have a great day.  

https://www.verywellmind.com/mind-games-go-both-ways-when-you-quit-smoking-2824894

https://www.verywellmind.com/nicotine-withdrawal-and-junkie-thinking-2824411

https://www.verywellmind.com/surviving-nicotine-withdrawal-2824750

StaceyHare

11/11/19

Hi Richie,

Today is my quit date. So far 18 hours without a smoke. A lot of deep breaths and repeating to myself stay calm. How are you holding up?

Haajas75

11/11/19

Hello,

I'm at day 15/16 so technically October quitter but didn't realize how join so I'm your partner now November 2019 quitters

MarkOU812

11/11/19

Hi all November buddies

I just hit my 4 weeks, can't say a month till the 13th. Great to have you here. 1 was a 2pk a day for the last 39 years. It isn't easy and we all have to go through this journey, But we don't have to do it alone. BTW you will find Denim AND Brenda are the best. Don't think I would be here without them. Only thing I would add is, if your using hard candy or gum is use sugar free. Read, read, reread, post, ask, and keep the faith. Oh yeah and just breath.

10/13/2019 I stopped poisoning myself 

Mark

Sugarbower86

11/12/19

Hello y'all. I actually started my smoking cessation program on October 27, 2019. Unfortunately on day 6 of the patch, I got overly stressed and found myself ripping off my patch & heading to gas station to buy a pack before heading to work that morning. Needless to say, I had bought 3 packs over the next 4 days. By Tues Nov 5th, I restarted my program. When I wake up here in about 6 hrs, I will put patch #8 on. I think i am doing better this time around. The #1 main reason I wanted to quit smoking is for my best friend's husband, who is 3 yrs older than me, had 3 major strokes within a week time. He too was a smoker. He has been smoke free for over 3 months but he is also in a nursing home facility, getting Rehab. 

RochieRo

11/12/19

Hey, congrats, I'm guessing you're onto day two now? 

Day 4 for me now, OK but feeling a lot of anxiety about all aspects of my life, seriously hoping that goes away

Hope you're staying strong! 

In reply toRe: msg 20
JR (DPartonFan)

11/12/19

Hello November quitters,

My name is JR and I quit smoking October of last year. I just passed my 13 month anniversary and I can tell you I never would have believed it was possible. 
It is possible and I promise all of you that this gets easier than you would ever believe so hang in there...please. Right now time probably feels like it is moving at a snails pace so just focus on one day at a time. If one day feels like too much then focus on one hour at a time. You can do this! 
I read Allen Carrs book Easy way to Stop Smoking and began to see my “bad habit” was actually a drug addiction to the drug nicotine. I never had thought of nicotine as a drug before. Once I began to see it in that way my resolve to quit strengthened tremendously. 
You really can do this together. Rely on each other for support, stay close to the forum and read as many articles on here as you can. An educated quit is more likely to be a successful quit.

Lizzie1979

11/12/19

Hi Rochie Ro, 

well done in your three days!!

I was there with you and then caved, slipped up and then wet the rest of packer and put in the bin. Then went to the shop again this morning. Bought more and then feel horrible for giving in again. I’m currently suffering with a herniated disc in my back and the nerve pain is horrid, smoking for some stupid reason helps me handle the pain, it doesn’t really if anything worries me more the damage I have done to body. I’m 40 and have been smoking for a long long time.... I hate the way they make me feel, why do I crave something that makes me feel so bad it makes no sense ....

Brenda (1sept19)

11/12/19

Welcome and congrats on starting your quit again right away.  So much info on this site about this addiction and how to get through it.  Take it one day at a time and you will get free.  It is tough at first but it does get better.  Read everything you can and post often, it will help keep you in the right mindset.  Don't look back and don't look forward, just stay in the day.  You can do this !