About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

November 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 39304 views.
MarkOU812

11/11/19

Hi all November buddies

I just hit my 4 weeks, can't say a month till the 13th. Great to have you here. 1 was a 2pk a day for the last 39 years. It isn't easy and we all have to go through this journey, But we don't have to do it alone. BTW you will find Denim AND Brenda are the best. Don't think I would be here without them. Only thing I would add is, if your using hard candy or gum is use sugar free. Read, read, reread, post, ask, and keep the faith. Oh yeah and just breath.

10/13/2019 I stopped poisoning myself 

Mark

Sugarbower86

11/12/19

Hello y'all. I actually started my smoking cessation program on October 27, 2019. Unfortunately on day 6 of the patch, I got overly stressed and found myself ripping off my patch & heading to gas station to buy a pack before heading to work that morning. Needless to say, I had bought 3 packs over the next 4 days. By Tues Nov 5th, I restarted my program. When I wake up here in about 6 hrs, I will put patch #8 on. I think i am doing better this time around. The #1 main reason I wanted to quit smoking is for my best friend's husband, who is 3 yrs older than me, had 3 major strokes within a week time. He too was a smoker. He has been smoke free for over 3 months but he is also in a nursing home facility, getting Rehab. 

RochieRo

11/12/19

Hey, congrats, I'm guessing you're onto day two now? 

Day 4 for me now, OK but feeling a lot of anxiety about all aspects of my life, seriously hoping that goes away

Hope you're staying strong! 

In reply toRe: msg 20
JR (DPartonFan)

11/12/19

Hello November quitters,

My name is JR and I quit smoking October of last year. I just passed my 13 month anniversary and I can tell you I never would have believed it was possible. 
It is possible and I promise all of you that this gets easier than you would ever believe so hang in there...please. Right now time probably feels like it is moving at a snails pace so just focus on one day at a time. If one day feels like too much then focus on one hour at a time. You can do this! 
I read Allen Carrs book Easy way to Stop Smoking and began to see my “bad habit” was actually a drug addiction to the drug nicotine. I never had thought of nicotine as a drug before. Once I began to see it in that way my resolve to quit strengthened tremendously. 
You really can do this together. Rely on each other for support, stay close to the forum and read as many articles on here as you can. An educated quit is more likely to be a successful quit.

Lizzie1979

11/12/19

Hi Rochie Ro, 

well done in your three days!!

I was there with you and then caved, slipped up and then wet the rest of packer and put in the bin. Then went to the shop again this morning. Bought more and then feel horrible for giving in again. I’m currently suffering with a herniated disc in my back and the nerve pain is horrid, smoking for some stupid reason helps me handle the pain, it doesn’t really if anything worries me more the damage I have done to body. I’m 40 and have been smoking for a long long time.... I hate the way they make me feel, why do I crave something that makes me feel so bad it makes no sense ....

Brenda (1sept19)

11/12/19

Welcome and congrats on starting your quit again right away.  So much info on this site about this addiction and how to get through it.  Take it one day at a time and you will get free.  It is tough at first but it does get better.  Read everything you can and post often, it will help keep you in the right mindset.  Don't look back and don't look forward, just stay in the day.  You can do this !  

Brenda (1sept19)

11/12/19

Lizzie1979 said:

I hate the way they make me feel, why do I crave something that makes me feel so bad it makes no sense ....

It's called addiction and we have all been there.  Read everything you can about this addiction, it will help you to understand what your mind and body are going through.  Get through one day at a time and let time be your friend.  Keep adding those days until you find freedom.  Stay close to the forum and post often.  We are all here to help. 

In reply toRe: msg 25
slowblumer

11/12/19

Hi everyone,

Quitting smoking is hard and we are not always at our best when going through the process.  I was edgy and snippy and that is putting it kindly.    It is hard for non-smokers to understand what we are going through. 

Helping Friends And Family Understand How It Feels To Quit Smoking

By Terry Martin The following "letter" to family and friends was written by Richard, the nonsmoking husband of one of our forum members here at About.com Smoking Cessation. Through the experience of supporting his wife, Mary as she worked to quit smoking, Richard learned a lot about what it's like for an ex-smoker who is recovering from nicotine addiction.

AsadAKhan

11/12/19

Hi RochieRo,

Congratulations on your decision. Quit smoking is a process and it will take sometime for you to be normal. However I can tell you that coming days are better than 3 days you have gone through. It is a slow process and takes it time and you will be all fine in coming days.

You can see March 2019 group and see my messages in that group where I was literally crying everyday and asking seniors on when I will feel better. Here I am today, 8 days short of 8 months today and in last 3.5 months I literally think about smoking anymore. I still have days and have cravings but it is not like it was in first 3-4 months.

Hang on and you will be all good very soon. Just take it one day at a time and I never take another puff of nicotine.

Regards,

Asad

Quit Date: 20-Mar-2019

Jonny84

11/12/19

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!