About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

November 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 40220 views.
Quitalicious

11/12/19

Hi! Congrats on your 13 months! You better believe this is real life. 9 years for me this month. Allen Carr was instrumental. A college mate said, "Oh, I read this book and I quit right after for good, just like that." I was like, "No way." So I read the book, and bam, I quit for good a couple of months later. This forum, though, was key prior to that.

So great that you are here helping other quitters. It matters so much.

Tjs1599

11/13/19

Thank goodness....I was wondering if I was the only November.  Today is day 13 for me.  It has been wild but I am feeling so much better these last 2 days.  Good luck on your journey.  Glad to have someone in November with me.

Newthomas

11/13/19

Starting day 3. Last night sucked big time. Fitful sleep at best. I'm worried being really tired will lower my resistance. 

Tjs1599

11/13/19

I am battling the insomnia aspect of quitting as well.  It seems to come and go for me.  I get up and read post from this site, drink Camille? tea.  It is hard to be tired but I realized most of the time I am distracted with being tired I forget to think of smoking.  I read a post earlier that said "if all else fails than sleep".  I try to make myself stay awake if I have not had a good night....can anyone help with this?  Do you force to stay awake, sleep when you can?  I am afraid to mess my sleep cycle up more than it already is.  Newthomas you can do this and hopefully we will both get some good advice.  This is the best place for it.  

Denim50

11/13/19

Hey Tjs1599 and Newthomas, 

I’m sorry to hear your both having trouble sleeping. Some people do struggle with insomnia when quitting smoking, as it sounds like you both may be. 

https://www.verywellmind.com/ways-relieve-insomnia-when-quit-smoking-2824683

Withdrawal puts us through a lot that’s true. The good thing is that it does eventually get better the further along we go and the more we distance ourselves from the addiction. Quitting is one of the hardest things we can do but it is doable and it is so worth it. More importantly, you are worth it and there is freedom from it. To get to that freedom though, as with any addiction, we must first go through the withdrawal. You can do it! Stay strong, stay close, and keep posting. I say this so much around the forum but it’s so important, stay in the the moment, take it day by day, hour by hour, or minute by minute if necessary, and don’t think too far ahead, as that can sometimes cause added stress or anxiety that you don’t need starting out. Stay in the moment and let that be enough for the time being. The minutes will add up and each minute smoke free is one closer to that freedom. Stay strong and remind yourself often that you can do this. We’re all here for you and are cheering you on. Continue to reach out if you need help and continue to read, post, and join in. So happy you’re both here with us and I wish you both the best as you continue to move forward with your quits. Have a great day and I’ll see you around the forum.  

CC to Newthomas
Newthomas

11/13/19

Feeling angry and frustrated over little things. Trying not to show it. 

Jonny84

11/13/19

I am on day 19.  It definitely throws off your sleep schedule.  I used to have to take a nap everyday when I came home for lunch.  I haven't since I quit.  Kinda miss them - I figured if I couldn't take a nap during the day - I would sleep better at night -NOT!   The good thing is now - I don't seem to have a bad nights sleep more than once.  When I quit - I slept horrible the first 3 nights.  Now I noticed if I don't sleep good 1 night - I actually sleep pretty good the next night (I hope I didn't just jinx myself lol)  .  It will get better soon for all of us!!

In reply toRe: msg 34
Newthomas

11/13/19

It's ok newthomas, anger and frustration and runaway emotions are part of withdrawal. Take deep breaths and know this too will pass. 

In reply toRe: msg 36
Newthomas

11/13/19

Thanks for the support newthomas, it is a little quiet in here, so i appreciate it. 

In reply toRe: msg 37
Newthomas

11/13/19

No problem newthomas, i feel we are very much going thru the same thing. If your quit is successful, I just know mine will be too.