About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

November 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 11142 views.
In reply toRe: msg 5

RochieRo

Nov-11

Hello! 

Am I the only November quitter? I'm on day 3 of cold turkey, wondering if anyone else is at a similar point? 

Hi RochieRo

Welcome to the forum.  The November group has been quiet so far but we expect it to pick up as the month goes on. 

However, there are lots of other threads that are active right now so jump in anywhere you like.  Reading about nicotine addiction and posting to others can really help you keep focused.

Quitting smoking is the very best gift you can give to yourself.  it means freedom from being a slave to the cigarette. 

Practical Tips for Your First Smoke-Free Week

Updated November 19, 2015. You may feel like you're on a roller coaster during the first couple of weeks of smoking cessation. Whether you use a quit aid of some sort or go cold turkey, you're going to feel some discomforts due to nicotine withdrawal.

Denim50

Nov-11

Hey RochieRo, 

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. It’s great to have you joining us here. 

There are other November quitters, so you are not alone at this stage. I see they have posted and no doubt some will be joining you here soon and I wish each of you the best with your quits. 

Please stay close to the forum, read, post, and join in. You’ll find wonderful support, understanding, and information here to help. The forum is often referred to here as a forum family because we all support, encourage, and cheer each other. There’s a wonderful ‘Quit Smoking Library’ at the bottom of the menu. There are also games to help distract, also at the lower portion of the menu. As Mod Marge said, you are welcome to read and post anywhere around the forum. 

We all do have a home thread here though, as you’ve discovered here. The others really should be joining you soon. Having our monthly home thread is so important because, as you’ve already mentioned, it gives us a group of quit buddies at the same stage of smoking cessation as ourselves, who are going through the same things and at the points as we are. Our quit buddies become so important as we move forward together. 

Reach out anytime. Mod Marge is here. I’ll stop back by here from time to time also, as I’m sure others from across the forum will too. On the forum, you’re not ever alone with this. Also, since we have members from all around the world, there’s usually someone able to respond at any given time. If by a rare chance you don’t get a immediate response, please post at least three times before giving up to give someone a chance to respond and help. Thank you, though three times usually aren’t needed before receiving a response here. 

Quitting isn’t easy but it is doable and it’s SO worth it. More importantly, YOU are worth it. I’ve said this to others but, stay in the moment. Sometimes looking too far ahead can cause added stress or anxiety that we don’t need starting out. Stay strong, stay in the moment, take it day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute if necessary. Each moment smoke free is a moment closer to the freedom from the addiction. We’re all here for you and are cheering you on. 

Again, congratulations on three days smoke free. I look forward to seeing you around the forum.  

• Edited November 11, 2019 8:48 am  by  Denim50
Newthomas

Nov-11

Hey. I'm joining you today. You still hanging in? 

Brenda (1sept19)

Nov-11

Welcome and congrats on 3 days free.  Make yourself at home and take it one day  at a time.  It does get easier so hang in there.  Wishing you all the best.

Brenda (1sept19)

Nov-11

Welcome !  Did you just quit today  ?  

Newthomas

Nov-11

Ummm yes. Strange to say that. 

Brenda (1sept19)

Nov-11

Good for you.  Take it one day at a time, read everything you can on this site and post often.  Stay busy, keep yourself distracted with other things and just don't smoke. You can do this. Drink lots of cold water and eat small meals to keep your body fueled. Avoid too much caffeine.  This is the best thing you can do for yourself, you are giving up nothing but getting rid of slavery, disease, smelling bad and expense.  Stay close to the forum, we are all here for you.

Denim50

Nov-11

Hey Newthomas, 

Welcome and congratulations on your decision to quit. Please keep reading, posting, and joining in. Also, please read the post from Mod Marge, and mine to RochieRo, as same advice applies. I also see Brenda has stopped by to welcome you both also and offer support and advice. I’m sure others will too. We’re all happy to have you joining us here. Reach out anytime. I look forward to seeing you around the forum also.