About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

December 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 27676 views.
cherbearquit

Jan-27

Welcome Nomosmoke! The power of positive thinking is real! Instead of beating ourselves up over past quits that failed, the positive thing to do is learn from them! I have chosen to do that and thought about what my triggers were and came up with plans to deal with them. Sounds like you know what you are doing. I too was very sick my first two weeks. I do NOT want to experience that again! Stay close to the forum, post when you need help and read the many articles and posts available. I know that has helped me a lot! Good luck on your journey with us!

Majomar

Jan-27

Susan and cherbearquit,

thank you for the warm welcome. 

Just dropped to say hi and hope you're all doing OK. I wanted to write much more, but so tired of fight with the addiction... and stress, I will write this much - it really helps to be part of a support group. 

When I feel the worst I just inhale through my nose, and deeply exhale through my mouth and remember everything I read here and remember even the worst crisis will eventually go away and repeat the words others said to me - take it one day at a time.

• Edited January 28, 2020 3:26 pm  by  Majomar
cherbearquit

Jan-27

Majomar, you can do this! Always remember NOPE (Not one puff ever)!  Deep breaths, lots of ice cold water to drink, mints, cinnamon red hots candy and lots of reading in this forum are what has helped me so far. It’s a struggle at times, but remember you are worth it! Stay strong and keep your head up. You should be proud of yourself, because this is not an easy battle!

quit date 12/6/19

Matt1961

Jan-27

I struggle at times, too.  I have resorted to cutting a straw the length of a cigarette and stuffing it with bath tissue to get some resistance to the airflow.  I then sit at my desk and "smoke" my straw.  I know how ridiculous it looks, but I don't care.  It seems to work for me, and at least for now, that is all that matters to me. 

I keep relying on the words of all those who have walked this path before me that this is going to get easier.  I sure hope that happens sooner rather than later!  I am on day 47 and it still seems to be a challenge.

SusanK1960

Jan-27

Hey Matt,

A straw with a tissue is in my tool box and I still use it.  I take my strig outside and puff.  It is quite satisfying when the air is cold and I can see my breath as it gives the illusion of smoke.  Like you, I needed to feel the resistance. However, it is an illusion and it looks real while we try to figure out what real is.

I think of the journey as a slo mo roller coaster. Ups, downs, sharp turns, loops, you get the idea.  It make our stand on end!  

cherbearquit

Jan-27

I have seen many suggestions to sip ice cold water through a straw, but this is the first that I saw a straw stuffed with bath tissue. Made me chuckle, but hey, whatever works! We are doing this and all we need to do is stay determined and strong!  I still experience brain fog at times and was talking to myself while food shopping today, so I am sure I looked silly or insane to others! Lol!  Have a great night!

nomosmok

Jan-28

Hi cherbear

Thanks for the positive inspiration!  Today is day 7 & yesterday my quit was tested several times especially with my strong emotions which was always a downfall of mine in the past. I was able to walk through the emotions to the other side without smoking!!!  Yay me!!!  Of course by the end of the day I felt like Swiss cheese but that’s alright... I relaxed without a smoke. Today I had a big disappointment & my junkie thinking tried to convince me it was something to throw my quit away over but I was able to shut them up & handle things without smoking again. That makes me feel stronger every time I’m able to do that without a smoke.  These are all new things in this quit that I’ve never experienced in any other quit before.  I know I can’t get cocky though because the road is filled with ups & downs & I’ll always need support. I’m grateful that you’re all here to help me in the good & bad times. 
nomosmok

ex-tobacco user 1/21/20 7:34pm

nomosmok

Jan-28

Thanks Marge!  I WILL do it!!!

nomosmok

nomosmok

Jan-28

Hi Majomar

Welcome!  I’m new too. I’m on day 7. Like you I’m done fighting & I'm just letting go of my nicotine addiction. I’m taking it one day at a time and sometimes one hour at a time. The biggest thing I’m learning is what you said... no matter what the crisis is, if I don’t pick up a cigarette & walk through it, I get to the other side another day smoke free. 
nomosmok

cherbearquit

Jan-28

Yay, you made it through “hell week”!  Keep up the good work, stay strong, remember NOPE and focus on the info. you can read in this forum as well as reaching out if you need support! You can do this!