About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

December 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 27608 views.
SusanK1960

Jan-30

Hi Matt,

Let me ask this question - “Can you remember all the coughing, congestion and fatigue we went through when we first QUIT smoking? ”  I started smoking over 40 years ago, so I can’t remember starting exactly, however, these are the some of the reasons I quit.

That is fantastic news about your lab results! Your hard work at changing is making a notable difference and I am so happy to hear you’re healing!

• Edited January 30, 2020 9:16 pm  by  SusanK1960
Matt1961

Jan-30

Hi Susan,

It was over 40 years ago for me too, but I still remember being proud the first time I was able to inhale the smoke and not have a coughing attack.  It made me feel like I was a grown-up and becoming a man.  Of course, there was no thought that I might become addicted.  That only happened to other people - it would never happen to me.  Youthful indiscretion can sure make an idiot out of us and cause a lifetime full of regrets.

The lab results were welcomed news.  My general doctor thinks the diet changes and exercise are helping a bit, but she credits most of the improved results to quitting smoking.  Despite the discomfort at times, this really is worth the effort.

I look on some of the people who have been here for years with envy, and appreciate that they stick around once in awhile to offer us newbies encouragement.  Assuming I am able to make it to the point that some newbie years from now looks on me with envy, I may not have this page up daily like I do now, but I will pop in every once in awhile, just as these people do.  They have earned the right to be envied, and I hope to earn that right some day too. 

nomosmok

Jan-30

Hi Matt

I had to think long & hard about your question. Hmmmmm... I was only about 11 years old when I started to smoke on a regular basis. That was a long, long time ago!  I can remember who I was with & where we were but I don’t remember much more than that. Maybe some coughing but smoking came pretty natural to me. Probably all that 2nd hand smoke I grew up with between my mom & my dad. If I remember correctly, my mom smoked & drank throughout her pregnancy too so I was smoking as a fetus. 
I’ve been smoking so long that there’s damage now but my pulmonologist said when I saw him last that if I quit “now” I should be able to reverse the damage. So the bit of coughing & choking I might’ve done learning to smoke really pales in comparison of reversing the damage that 48 years of smoking does to your lungs. Knowing what I know now, I regret every cigarette I’ve ever smoked. But for whatever reason I had to go through what I went through to get where I’m at today. There is no question in my mind of not smoking ever again. If I did, it would just be signing my death certificate. I’ve never had better incentive to stay smoke free. I believe I’ve read you saying quit now while you have the choice instead of when you have to quit (or something similar). I’m right there with you. 
nomosmok

ex-tobacco user 1/21/20 7:34pm

nomosmok

Jan-30

Hi Cherbear

Thanks for letting me know you were sick for two weeks. I won’t push myself to be well too soon. 
still have the cough bad & bringing up stuff. My doctor says my lungs sound clear except the bottom sounds tight but she’s sure what I’m going through is just from quitting. But I do have a low grade fever which she attributes to a sinus infection. A short course of antibiotics should clear that up. So good news!!!  I’ve been given some extra time to take care of myself to get well. 
so how are you?  You’ve got about what? 4–5 weeks smoke free?  That’s excellent. Are you feeling so much better now?  What are the benefits you’re reaping so far???

nomosmok

ex-tobacco user 1/21/20 7:34pm

Matt1961

Jan-30

Yes, I waited too long and had to have 4 stents placed in my heart.  There is a bright side to that though in that it has provided great incentive to quit smoking.  I doubt I would have quit had it not been for that.  My wife and I have a lot of plans of things we want to do together when we retire.  I would kind of like to be here to do those things with her.  The downside to waiting too long is that I not only lost the smokes, but also about everything I enjoy eating.  That is why I recommend that people quit on their own terms, and not wait until it is forced upon them.  Raw vegetables get old after awhile.

I have already made the decision that all of that except the smoking is off the table this Super Bowl Sunday.  Come Monday, I will start eating right again, but on Sunday, anything and everything is going to be consumed!  However, that is limited to eating - not smoking.

My doctors are saying the same as yours.  Our bodies will heal from the smoking damage we did if we let them.  My stents are permanent, but if I can stop the damage there, then I guess I was lucky.

cherbearquit

Jan-31

Hang in there! The worst of the coughing/mucus starts to subside after 2 weeks. I still had some, but not as bad as the first two weeks. It’s 8 weeks for me today. I have had good days and bad, ups and downs along the way but I am starting to feel better. Usually if I have a difficult day, I feel better the next day. On the difficult days, I drink lots of ice cold water, keep my mints/cinnamon red hots handy, read articles and other people’s posts on here and remind myself that “This too shall pass”!  I am happy that I no longer have that smokers cough and shortness of breath every time I walk up steps, etc.  My sinus issues are also clearing up!  I also really like that I have my freedom and am not always worried about when I could smoke, where I could smoke, do I have enough cigs?  When you think about it, we spent so much time thinking about all of that!  I also don’t have to feel self conscious of the way I smell after smoking!  I am also very happy that I am not giving my money to all the greedy politicians who constantly raise taxes on something people are addicted to!  So hang in there, because you will start to feel better. It takes time and patience. There will be good days and bad along the way but stay close to the forum, take it one day at a time and remember NOPE!

SusanK1960

Feb-1

I’m sending extended wishes to you on your special weekend.  Just keeping the party going.

• Edited February 1, 2020 3:09 pm  by  SusanK1960
Arielle2019

Feb-1

Thank you so much dear Susan heart_eyes 

I had a fantastic week at the University. At this moment, I honestly feel so tired. Took the decision today to take two days of to reload my batteries to be able to keep up. Taking care of myself means being able to back down and take time off when needed. 

How are you doing? blossom

cherbearquit

Feb-6

Good morning! Had a rough day yesterday but am feeling a little better today. It always seems to work that way. It is 2 months today! I have a feeling the next month will have its’ ups and downs but I am determined to stay strong! Hope everyone is having a good day so far! Remember NOPE!

Quit 12/6/19

Arielle2019

Feb-6

Awesome!!! Can you believe you are almost two months smoke free, amazing!! muscle 

None-smokers also have their ups and downs, that is life. It may sound trivial but I find that walking and breathing exersizes help me keep my mood more even. If something upsets me, I talk a walk, if that doesn't help I talk another walk. If that doesn't help I either cry, go to bed ot both joy

In the end of the day, I cannot control what happens around me, what I can control is how I respond to it and how I feel about it. That said, I will keep learning as long as I live and hopefully, we all get to live a little longer as none-smokers heart_eyes

Take care and keep going! sunflower