About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

December 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 41466 views.
DebraAnne60

4/6/20

Four months done and dusted - well done.

I just dusted three months and wackamo, I get hit wit a tsunami crave that like really got me angry - grrrrrr - I htink it was the stress of this whole social distancing thing - I hate being told I cannot use the park or go to the beach or walk through trail - I mean its just......

So I found a crew of volunteers who are sewing masks for the elderly and knitting/crocheting fun masks for children.  I am sewing in the pouch for the filter on all these things - we are cutting up furnace filters for the time being.  What an operation.  They drop them off at my house, I sew in the pouches and then put them back in the box to be picked up and taken to the next volunteer who is sterilizing and packaging then into a box to be picked up and taken to the distribution.  Every day somebody drops off a box and picks up a box at the same time.  I love this.  Feels like I have joined the army fighting back the spread of Covid 19.  Whooo hoooo  

Do you have anything like that happening in your area?  A friend of mine over in British Columbia says they are doing the same sort of thing and said she's heard of others too.  These things are popping up in neighborhoods all over.           

See the need, fill the need.  Cravings feel quite silly now, hahaha.

Cheers - stay safe people!!!

cherbearquit

4/6/20

Hang in there! I struggled a bit right after the 3 month mark with cravings that were a bit stronger. It will get better. Stay strong, and by the time you reach 4 months, I think you will feel better. Any time you are having a weak moment, just think of all the people who are struggling with this virus. It is so important to remain smoke-free to give your body and lungs the strength to fight this if you happen to get it. I have seen that people are making masks, but I have no sewing skills. Lol! I think that is great that you are volunteering! I can relate that the stress of this current situation can cause you to feel cravings, but please stay strong. This will pass, and you will be happy that you remained strong! Take care and stay healthy and safe !

cherbearquit

4/11/20

Congrats on 4 months Matt! Woo! Hoo! Things are definitely looking up at this point! I hope you are starting to feel more at peace. Make sure you do something special for yourself today! I hope you are doing well! 

Quit 12/6/19

Matt1961

4/11/20

Good morning, Cherbear, and thank you for the kudos.  I am glad you are still hanging in there too.  I think we lost some good people along the way, but they will be back here when they are ready.  I think we owe it to those that helped us along the way to be here for them when they come back.  They will succeed when they are ready to succeed.  As we both know, it will not happen sooner.

Although I do not want to become complacent, I actually am starting to think we might really achieve our goal of becoming completely smoke-free for the rest of our lives.  What a wonderful thought!!  I never thought I would be able to say something like that.  The thought of having that "just one" still crosses my mind on occasion, but that early slip, and the way I beat myself up over it, actually helped me.  When I think of having that one, three things cross my mind:  (1) I am never going back to smoking like I used to do because I know it will take my life; (2) I do not want to beat myself up again like I did after that last slip, and (3) I never want to go through this quitting process again.  After that, "the one" just does not seem very attractive any more.

I know I would not be here without quit buddies like you.  I sincerely mean it when I say "thank you" from the bottom of my heart, a heart that almost stopped working because of the smoking, but now seems to be working just fine.

SusanK1960

4/11/20

Way to go Matt!  You are glowing inside and outside now that you are away from the smokescreen!  

cherbearquit

4/11/20

Matt, your post is spot on! I never want to go through the quit process again either, which is what gave me strength during the rough days!  I am so glad that you are still here as my quit buddy! We are doing this, so as they say, keep on keep’n on!

Matt1961

4/11/20

Thank you, Susan.  You are one of my trailblazers on my quit journey since you are ahead of me.  You were the first person that welcomed me to this forum that first night when I posted on here in the wrong place desperately seeking help with my new quit four months ago.  It has been quite a ride so far, and I know there will still be a few bumps and bruises to overcome, but I am grateful that we we are all doing this together.

Matt1961

4/11/20

But I guess I am still smoking because tonight I am going to smoke a small turkey for Easter dinner tomorrow.

My cardiologist would have me quit that kind of smoking too, but that one I am keeping!!

Tobacco out - Turkey in!!

cherbearquit

4/11/20

Well they can’t expect us to quit everything! Lol ! My son-in-law has a smoker. I have enjoyed smoked turkey, beef brisket and wings, which were all awesome! Enjoy your turkey and Happy Easter to you and your family!

SusanK1960

4/27/20

Hey sweet lady,

Happy Milestone day! Hoping you have found some peace in your quit and adjusting to the new lifestyle during the virus crisis.  Wishing you smooth sailing over the next month and please take care!