About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

December 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 21712 views.
mariatucks

Dec-21

I suffer with anxiety n depression too and when I gave up smoking, I found my anxiety definitely improved but my depression was slightly worse. It’s stupid really that I felt more depressed as I gave up smoking when really I should have been happier!! Strange how the mind works. I’m back smoking now though, argghhhh!! But will get back on that horse soon, probably after Christmas though!!

Good luck with you xxxx

Molly010

Dec-22

Hey Matt!  Although you didn't quit the way you expected, it is a step in the right direction for your health.  One of my quit buddies had the same issue and has been quit for over a year now.  I have copied him on this post. 

This forum was instrumental in my quit and I believe it will be for you too.  One of the things the moderators would tell us in the beginning was to post at anytime you want to get in your car and buy a pack.  Read as many articles as you can so you understand the addiction and how nicodemon will be working over the next few months to try and suck you back in.  I quit after reading Allen Carr's easy way to stop smoking, which is also helpful.  

Regarding your diet, there is a documentary that will be helpful to watch called Forks Over Knives.  It is on netflix if you have it.  It explains why meat and dairy are bad for you and they have a website with different recipes.  I am mostly vegan, (I still eat fish on occasion.) but was eating that way before I quit smoking.  I would recommend focusing on your quit first and try to make only small changes to your diet while you are early on in your quit.  I.e. try a veggie burger or use beyond meat substitute in some of your meals instead of beef, unless your doctor wants you to make those changes right away.  I just think it will be difficult to do both early on. 

Congratulations on your quit!  You are definitely in the right place and feel free to message me if you have any questions about changes to your diet.  In the meantime, keep fighting the good fight!

JR (DPartonFan)

Dec-22

Matt,

First let me say congratulations on your quit and on finding this forum, I am the quit buddy of Molly's to which she referred in her post to you. I have gone back and read all of your posts before this reply.  My name is JR and I initially quit with Molly's group The Smokefree Warriors in July 2018, I had been feeling exhausted to the point of collapse for quite some time and decided to quit for one day to see if it would make me feel any better. I took one day at a time and did not smoke again until Oct. 1, 2018. In spite of stopping smoking I was still feeling like I was going to collapse at any time, On Oct. 1st I went to see a Nurse Practioner to see if I could get scheduled for a cardiac stress test. She said she would not schedule one for me and that I could just wait until I actually did collapse to determine what the problem was....and only then if I lived through the collapse. I gave up completely then and stopped at the store to buy 4 packs of cigarettes and smoked two packs before going to bed that night.  I was a full time smoker again...after all, what was the point in quitting if the NP was going to take a chance with my life and refuse to get me help? I have good insurance but her reply was an insurance company should not have to pay to fix something a person has messed up with years of smoking.  

I finally got in touch with my regular doctor who had been on vacation and he had me scheduled for the stress test on Oct 10, 2018. On ,the way to the test I had to pull over after having what felt like a heart attack. I turned around and made it back home and called 911. It had been 30 minutes since I had smoked a cigarette and that cigarette was the last one I have smoked.  I ended up having a heart cath in the hospital instead of doing a stress test that day.  Found out that I had a blockage of about 75 percent and the cardiologist inserted a stent.  My life had just changed forever and I never have smoked another cigarette. 

I am assuming 1961 is your birth year. Mine is 1963 and I smoked for 39 years so we must have started smoking pretty close to the same time.  I started in 1978 at the "know it all" age of 15 years old. I've been quit completely now for over 14 months.  

Let me assure you with complete certainty that this journey gets so much better and easier.  I had read many posts on here where people said if they could do it, anybody could. Of course everyone thinks they are the exception to that when they first quit but I promise you there are not any exceptions to that. It isn't the easiest thing at the beginning but always remember even when it doesn't seem easy it is always doable. 

At this point, I occasionally have a passing thought about smoking and that thought is usually one like, "Man, I am so glad I don't have to smoke anymore."  I use the term "have to" because it is a drug addiction and our bodies tell us we have to have it.  Never had considered I was addicted to a drug before until I read Allen Carr's Easy way to Stop.  That revelation completely changed how I looked at smoking. Before that I always saw it as just a bad habit.  The only way to break an addiction is to stop feeding it.  Get through the withdrawal using every tool you can possibly think of to get you through it and come out clean on the other side.  You can do this and you will even get to the point that you are so thankful to be a non smoker and you will get there a lot more quickly than you believe right now would even be possible.  

I went to my best friend's annual Christmas Party last night where the smokers go out to the back deck to smoke in very cold weather.  This year he had put a gas firepit out there to help people stay warm.  It is amazing at what lengths we go to be as comfortable as possible while feeding the Nicodemon.  I went out with them one time and stood there watching everyone shivering and puffing away and thought, "Wow, that used to be me and I am so thankful I no longer need to do this", So I went back inside to the warmth very quickly.  

The smell of smoke no longer entices me at all. I never wanted to be an obnoxious ex smoker like so many people I encountered during my smoking years but now the smoke really does bother me.  I can't stand to smell it any more.

I wish you all the luck with your quit and with your cardiology rehab.  Things may seem very bleak as you are going through the withdrawal of your quit but let me assure you again that you will get to the point where you wonder why you ever thought pulling smoke into your lungs was a good idea to begin with. I ask myself that question regularly now and am so thankful to be free of the addiction. Stay close to this forum, use every tool you have and keep in mind that the outcome is so much better when you do not "need" nicotine in your system to feel normal. Hang in there, you will get to that point.

CC to Molly010
Matt1961

Dec-22

Thank you, JR and Molly.  Those were such wonderful, helpful posts.  It is interesting that the documentary and website Molly points out are exactly the same as my cardiologists handwritten notes to me fur further information.  I find his approach interesting.  He does not specifically recommend that I do or not do anything.  He just informs me of the facts and lets me make my own decisions.  With respect to the smoking, he informed me that I will be quitting.  The only question was whether I do it voluntarily and keep on living, or just die and quit involuntarily.  When someone who went to that much school puts it that way, the quit option looks pretty attractive.

You are right about my birth year.  Sadly, I "knew it all" even younger than you did, starting smoking at 13.  When I think of all the chemicals I have shoved through my cardiovascular system, it is no wonder that something finally gave out.  I am sure it will take a long time for my body to repair that much damage.  Having smoked that long, smoking was part of my life at every significant milestone.  The idea of it not being there was probably the most frightening aspect of quitting to me.  I spent much of yesterday reading Allen Carr's book.  It really is very helpful because it causes you to change your mindset from one of deprivation and loss to one of appreciating the exciting gains.  Your post reflects that same mindset.  

Again, thank you for your comments.  I can only hope that I can be as successful as you and Molly, but I have the determination, so that is a huge step in the right direction.

48yrsmokin

Dec-23

Sorry I'm late Lainie.  Had a bad weekend. My head in general is trying to get thru things I'VE NEVER QUIT FOR THIS LONG BEFORE. and it is really messing with me. Usually in past quits, the way I'm feeling now I would have given in to the inner mind bender. And lit up. I can't beleive it's still a Big issue of staying the course but it pretty much consumes my thoughts.   Trying to get away from that thought proccess. Haven't found the secret to that yet. So sometimes I feel worse than the days I started the quit. Everything is more intense. But I keep telling myself that I will not give in and things will get better.                                            Nope to the smoke .

patiopro

Dec-23

Hi I am new to this forum, but quit smoking on November 6, 2019 after smoking for 30 plus years. I finally decided to quit after being short on breathe and all the horrible smell of tobacco. I started taking Chantix for the first month, it helped me in a big way, but I quit taking it because it was making me really moody cranky short tempered!!!  Fast forward to now and I’m doing pretty good it’s a daily battle with ups and downs. 
Thank you

patiopro

Jatchat

Dec-24

Congratulations PatioPro

I to used Chantix and it was very good while it lasted but soon as I stopped taking it I fell off the wagon.

I am currently smoking but reading Allen Carr's book again and plan to quit on NYE

Take care and good luck on your journey

Kind regards

Anthony

patiopro

Dec-24

Thanks Anthony, yeah I’m 47 days without a cigarette or any type of nicotine. Like I said I quit the Chantix after 30 days , I was getting too jumpy on it. I’m convinced big tobacco has some kind of crack in the cigarettes. I quit at the same time as my wife. We are both trying to quit and do the right thing. I smell people smoking now and it doesn’t smell good at all. I still crave them but look forward to the day when I dont even think about them. 
good luck on your quit day coming up.

Thank you

Robert

Hi  Robert,

Welcome to the forum.  Congrats on quitting smoking.  Hope you will stay with us and read and post.  You may want to join the other November quitters since your quit day is November 6th- link below.  But, feel free to join in any thread you like.   I will say that having a strong quit buddy group got me through many a rough day.  

Quitting smoking is the best gift you can ever give yourself.

In reply toRe: msg 104

Hi December Quitters,

The holidays can bring on strong urges to smoke.  Be prepared with how to handle those feelings.