About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

January Bravehearts 2019   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/31/19 by ModAndrea; 468568 views.
sibby123

8/13/19

Aloha!

it sounds like you are busy  doing things you love. That is never a bad thing. I read about the telescopes in Hawaii and I totally understand why people are protesting. It is truly disgusting how much disregard people have for the environment. I am glad you are enjoying yourself. All is well  on this end. I just passed my seven months smoke-free and although I am very happy with my decision I have not felt great since quitting. It is indeed a transition. I am hopeful that things will balance out soon. We have another three weeks of summer vacation in Canada. They go back to school early September. Things have gone so fast. Be safe and be well.

Drena2044

8/13/19

I’m glad you had that moment with your mom. For me one of the last memories of my mom and the last thing she said to me... she woke up, grabbed my hand and said Drena, I love you. I held her hand and laid my head next to hers until she went to sleep. She never spoke again after that.

so sad to see your mother go through that. But you will remember that moment for the rest of your life.

Too bad your trip was not as memorable. It is sad to be on vacation and have to go through that. Here in Hawaii we are bought up to respect and take care of the land. It is also upsetting to us when we see people just throwing trash where ever they want. The amazing thing about being up on Mauna Kea is no one would dare leave any trash on the ground. Even with thousands of people coming up there to help us protect the mountain, it is so clean and organized.

I know Iolani school very well. It is one of the best schools on Oahu. Although I live on the big island now, I grew up on Oahu (Honolulu) and the rest of my family is still there. Even though it has become over crowded, there are still some beautiful places there and the beaches are amazing. 

So how did you overcome all those smokers? That must have been tough?

so Lily is a freshman this year? That’s when you start to think they are really growing up and won’t be with you forever. I can remember trying to hold on to those years with my sons because I knew they would be leaving. I went to all their games and events and really enjoyed those years with my sons and their friends.

ok so you hang in there and enjoy the rest of your summer.

leighmomof2

8/16/19

Hello fellow Bravehearts! I just realized that today is August 16th and my 7 month anniversary as a non-smoker.  YAY!!!  I have been doing very well, much better than I ever thought possible. Thoughts of smoking no longer consume my days.  I did have a major test last weekend.  My husband and I were confronted by our neighbors in a threatening manner in front of both of my young children. It was shocking and completely irrational. To say I was angry would be an understatement.  Normally, after such an event, I would calm my insides by smoking numerous cigarettes. I felt the need. I did not know how to calm my anger without the stress relief the act of smoking afforded me.   I grabbed a cup full of cherries, packed my gym bag and went and swam laps for over an hour. It worked! 

I just read through the few posts that I have missed, I am very happy that so many of us Bravehearts really seem to have kicked the habit.  We are some strong people!

I hope everyone enjoys the last few weeks of summer break as we head into our first fall as non smokers. I say, bring it on! Its the last "first" as far as seasons go. We got this!

Robin212

8/16/19

Leigh congratulations on 7 months!! Its great to hear how well you are doing. Summer has been great..sooooo sad to be moving into September already. 

jean111

8/17/19

Hang in there, Robin.  I lost it days before 9 months on a previous quit, too.  Looking back, it seems like one of those times when my brain and body were going through cessation changes again.  Overall, though, I felt so much "better" and thought it would be ok to smoke.  WRONG.    I'm in there with Liz...I still feel "something missing" and don't yet feel like my old self.  I still feel like my "quit self", which gets on my nerves occasionally.  I finally realized that with all things--if I wanted to get good at something, it took practice.   Cessation is no different.

For me, some of the mood stuff was there anyway--I just used smoking to numb it.   Menopause, kids, work stress--who wouldn't want to smoke, eat, drink wine, or get crabby as hell!  The smell and the cough are strong memories that are keeping me quit.   I had a cough and shortness of breath during allergy season that was SO scary.

Hang in there!!!!  I'm finding these cycles are temporary and they ARE cycles.    It's taken me a while to accept/tolerate the downward mood/want-to-smoke cycle.  If I hadn't blown it before, I would be at more risk right now.  I notice that I avoid stress and people when I'm on a downward part of the cycle, and my family has had to adjust.  At the end of a tough day(s), I just tell them I'm sorry but I can't cook or whatever.  They've gotten used to it.  Kind of the same at work...I avoid the phone and stressful people as much as I can during a downward cycle.  Eventually, I come around and hit the upward part of the cycle.  That's been my experience so far.  I bet Andrea knows what I'm talking about.  

I've wanted to quit my job at least twice since I stopped smoking, wanted to quit my husband, and fantasized about a different life.  I keep coming back to the place where I love my life.  I can also now look at a pizza and not want to eat the whole thing.  Just one piece.  

I also saw a 65-ish year old woman blow past me on a hiking trail recently.  It pissed me off that I ever smoked.

CC to ModAndrea
sibby123

8/17/19

congratulations!

I am glad things are going well

sibby123

8/17/19

I get it

i am still my ‘quit’ self too.

i feel impatient but have committed to giving it a year to settle.  I believe it is worth it. It sheeeeeeeit!!!!

ModAndrea

8/17/19

I do know what you're talking about, Jean. You describe it so well. Thank you. kissing_heart

jean111

8/17/19

Thanks, Andrea.  Sounds kind of wordy, now that I'm looking at it, again...but geez.  Cessation can be such a beast.

jean111

8/17/19

Good job, Leigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!