About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

4 week Quit   Quit Support

Started Oct-15 by headspin123; 324 views.
headspin123

Oct-15

Hi I’m new been smoking for 40 years and on my 5th week quitting smoking.  I have the craving late in afternoon around 4:00 pm because I started chain smoking about this time of the day with a bottle of wine.  I have stopped both and started taking Champix the first week.  I am off the pills now I have difficulty some days but have been able to stay clean.  Thank you 

CindiS319

Oct-15

Hi Headspin123 and welcome!  Sounds like you're doing great!  4 weeks is an awesome accomplishment.  I was on Chantix also the first couple months and I think it helped me in the beginning.  Then I had to go through another withdrawal going off of them.  Best of luck to you.  Take it one day at a time!

headspin123

Oct-15

Thank you the pills made me nauseous if not taken with food they helped me get through the first days then I didn’t need them I do still have them if need be.  Thank you 

Hi headspin,

I smoked the same amount of time.  It's a tough journey but worth every minute of the pain.

Check out the October quitters group- lots of support.  Begin at the beginning of the thread if you can.  There is much good information to help you be successful. 

One day at a time you can do this.

Evillarreal2

Oct-16

40 years is a lot. I smoked 25. I use nic gum or lozenge but try to use them only in the event that I feel REALLY stressed with a strong crave or have to handle a situation with the kids. Otherwise I just try to watch funny videos or take a sleeping pill. At 4 weeks I think you should be ok with a gum every now and then. Make sure you read the instructions on how to chew it correctly. It's not like regular gum where you just chew away. Well, best of luck.

Brenda (1sept19)

Oct-16

Welcome and congratulations on 5 weeks of freedom.  Read everything you can find on this addiction, you will realize so much of what we go through is the mental associations that we have built up over the years.  Post often and stay close to the forum, keep yourself in the right mindset of ridding yourself of this addiction.  You are doing great, keep doing what you're doing.  One day at a time ! relaxed

turtles

Oct-19

I also smoked for 40 years, quit April 1st...first time I quit last June was with chantix..but in dec had “one”. That led to three more months of smoking..wasting the chantix.  On April 1st I quit cold turkey because I wanted to remember how awful it is to quit to give me strength to avoid the “just one”.  I drank a lot of ice chip flavored water, sucked on a lot of sugar free hard candies ordered from Russell stover and groovycandies.com.  At 14 weeks freedom from cravings began and it’s been easy since then.  An occasional, very by passable, thought only.

best thing is my whole day is not geared around cigarettes.  Latest best quote I heard on here is “the smoke only seems precious when you don’t have it, when you smoke its not precious “

check in here as many times as you need it, it really does get you through as everyone here understands