About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

SOS   Quit Support

Started Oct-17 by KalyaRed; 4201 views.
KalyaRed

Oct-30

Hi Johnson! 

That's a great strategy! I too try to occupy all my free time! Today I'm doing some light exercise at home! Plus dishes... Does that count as an activity? :D

JohnsonFu

Oct-31

If your dishes need to be for washed for hours!? 
haha joking I Guess it counts too. 

now playing Pokémon go is my another new activities for after office hour beside grooming my plants. Manage to make some new friends and keep me occupied! 

so Glad I mange to make it past today! 

I hope you too are doing well !

Hi Brenda.

I’m right with you.  Quit Sept.2 after surgery to remove a Tumor from my mouth.    I have been a wreck since then.  My mind doesn’t feel like myself.  The surgery went well, no additional problems, so this feeling must be from smoking cessation.  I’m not looking forward to month 3.  Can anyone give me hope that all this anxiety will leave.

I hate being a downer but the jitters and anxiety is the last thing to fade away. It will decrease in intensity and eventually fade away after reaching the 1 year mark. Many people feel less anxious after six months but it comes and goes right up to that first year. So do your best to stay busy and distracted and do lots of deep breathing to help with the anxiousness.  If this was easy, everyone would be quit. Our nervous system is undergoing big time changes and our brain needs plenty of time to rewire and fix everything. Hang in there as cigarettes did this to you but it's up to you to put in the time till everything calms down. Good luck.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

KalyaRed

Oct-31

It certainly feels like hours I'm glad you did too. 

Romanticising cigarettes will do nothing for us anyway. Someone on this forum said "one's too many and a thousand never enough". This is a silly habit to keep. 

Joel Spitzer says to think about it this way. Whenever we think we want one cigarette, instead of saying "I want one" say "I want to be a smoker again" cause that's where that thinking leads to. 

I don't miss being a smoker. This addiction may fool me sometimes that I miss one cigarette but I don't miss not being able to resist them every hour of every day. Let's not go back ??

Brenda (1sept19)

Nov-1

Go to the top of the page to new topic.  Hit on that and post your message.

I hope you are doing alright.  Remember that smoking is not your friend.  You are giving up nothing, but you are getting rid of a horrible addiction.  Try to change how you look at smoking, it helps.   Yes, it will get better with time.  The old timers on here say it does, so I choose to believe them . relaxed  Already it is much better for me. Keep going forward and just take it one day at a time.

How are you handling the mental withdrawal symptoms

Brenda (1sept19)

Nov-1

I try to do anything to distract myself so that I won't dwell on my thoughts.  Changing my mindset has helped, I look at my quit so differently.  I only have mental craves occasionally because I have changed how I look at things.  If I do have a mental crave, i tell myself, NOPE, not going back.

KalyaRed

Nov-2

Hi Lainie

I'm so sorry, I've only just seen your message. 

The bad thing of always being on the run is that you miss these important things. 

I get you with the mental part of the withdrawal. I get really depressed most of the time when I get to that 2 months mark. 

I had a slip two weeks ago and I can tell you that I don't feel any better. The cravings got worse and I dream of smoking virtually every night.

The thing is that if you manage to push through your brain chemistry will normalise - though yes, it may take some more time.

If you relapse you won't loose that depressed mood all of a sudden, because it does correspond to a gradual adaptation. 

Please keep going :) 

You are going strong and the three months mark is not so far away and still - take it one day at a time. You can do it. You're in tremendously good company. Everyone here knows just how you feel. 

I hope it gets better :)