About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Mental Illness and Quitting Smoking for the umpteenth time.   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Oct-19 by Quinoakilla; 622 views.
Quinoakilla

Oct-19

Hi guys. i am schizoaffective bipolar depressive and after 10 days of having quit I relapsed and smoked an entire pack in an evening and morning. Now I'm to day 1 11 hours. Got with numerous fights with family and I feel so sad off and on. This is really hard for me right now but I really want to keep going while I have momentum.

Brenda (1sept19)

Oct-20

Sorry that you lost your quit, but good for you for jumping right back in.  The emotions can be all over the place when you quit and especially if you already deal with depression.  This time try changing your attitude toward smoking.  You are getting rid of smoking instead of quitting or giving up smoking.  Then read everything you can to reinforce that attitude. Just that small change in attitude has helped me tremendously.  You are giving yourself the gift of freedom and health, it's a wonderful thing, not a bad thing. 

BlueDahlia29

Oct-20

Hi Quinoa.  I know just how difficult in can be to quit with schizoaffective as I also have it and I had a heck of a time getting a quit that stuck in the early days my emotions were like a roller coaster.  But it is definitely possible to get a quit even with the schizoaffective, eventually your emotions will balance out, if not talk to your provider.  Hope it's going better for you today and never quit trying you will get a quit that sticks as long as you persevere. (((Hugs)))

Quinoakilla

Oct-21

Thank you so much! I'm so happy that it's possible to do with my disorder!!!

Quinoakilla

Oct-21

Thank you, that is good advice. I have been trying. I went through a quit smoking tutorial on nerd fitness and I followed each of the directions to write down my quit goals and resolutions and that helped a lot at the time.

ModDee

Oct-22

Hello Quinoakilla,

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found us.  Congratulations on trying to retake your life from this addiction of ours.   Please make sure that you have a discussion with your health care professionals and let them know that you are quitting smoking.  Quitting nicotine can have an effect on medications you may be taking.  See the article below for more information.

Best wishes to you as you continue your cessation journey.  You can do this.  We will do all we can to support you!

(((Hugs)))

In reply toRe: msg 6
Quinoakilla

Oct-24

Thank you so much! That was really informative. Now maybe I understand part of the reason why I feel so horrible. I just started bupropion not to long ago and despite initially being really bitchy with that med they kept me on it. Now I think it is contributing to my depression or at least, having zero affect in improving my mood. I felt better before I was taking it. they have me on 300mg.

Quinoakilla

Oct-24

Do you mind if I ask you how long it took for you to level out??? It's been almost 6 days and I find myself waking up in the middle of the night thinking that someone did hurtful things on purpose or immediately having a negative thought.

BlueDahlia29

Oct-28

Hi at Quinoa.  Sorry for taking so long to get back to you was camping and had no internet connection.  Omg you sound just like me I tend to think the same way.  The first week my moods were all over the place, second week was still tough but it started getting easier. I'd say by the 3rd and 4th week I was doing noticeably better and less up and down with the moods and emotions.  I still have issues with my sleep at times though but I've always been like that.  Definitely make sure to talk about this with your doctor though he/she may be able to help you out.  Wishing you great success Quinoa!

Quinoakilla

Oct-30

Thanks. I know it's bad but i've been kind of avoiding my doctor. Because I know they'll be unhappy that I want off of the Bupropion and I don't want to take the time to go in and wait and wait and wait like I always do. I'm so sick of going into appointments. Today I have been feeling better though!!! I feel pretty alright.