About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Cough after quitting   Quit Support

Started Nov-10 by Haajas75; 222 views.
Haajas75

Nov-10

My brother quit year ago after 31 years said day 7 to bout day 18 he coughed so much he thought he was coughing up his lungs....I'm on day 14-15 not even a little cough (never really had a smokers cough) IS THIS NORMAL ? Not to have a cough clearing my lungs after 26/27 years of smoking

SusanK1960

Nov-10

Hi,

i smoked for 40 years, have had no cigs for 28 days, and I am not coughing like you described.  I did cough today and a bit came up, but I coughed more when I was smoking. 

im going to say that I have noticed from reading different posts, not everyone has the same thing at the same time.

my body will attempt to get rid of the yuck when I get my lungs healed and ready for the clearing, is my guess.  

leighmomof2

Nov-11

Hi, congrats on being a non smoker for 2 weeks! I never got that quitters cough that most people get. I smoked for over 20 years.  I kept waiting for it as confirmation my lungs were clearing. It never did happen!  I suppose there is no “normal”. Every “body” is different!! 
keep doing what you are doing mainly not smoking!!! 

MarkOU812

Nov-11

Smoked for 39 years. I could cough something up pretty much on command. After I quit, within 3-4 days, my lungs stopped producing an over abundance of phlegm.  Occasional felt like I wanted to cough but nothing there. Felt more like a scratch at the back of throat. But that has cleared up now at a month. When I did get the urge to cough and there was nothing I did need to focus and breath till the urge went away, if I hadn't I may have gone into a coughing fit. One thing that felt weird for me is how watery/thinner my saliva got. My just be me haven't heard anyone else mention that. Anyhow congrats to you and your brother. Keep the faith.

Mark