About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What's a relapse?   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Nov-18 by Brandalynn03; 371 views.
Brandalynn03

Nov-18

I'm on day 8 today and have noticed some positive changes even using the patch, like better skin already and more energy. I did smoke one cigarette Saturday morning before applying my patch, then again tried to smoke another one Sunday morning but it tasted terrible! I only had three drags and not only did it taste awful I realized I was going to fall for it again, the just one trick. Because just one turns into just one more then just a few more, then just a few more packs until I've lost another month or more to smoking. I feel pretty proud I put it down and kept going. I just hope I'm wiser the next time I think I can have just one.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Brandy

Brenda (1sept19)

Nov-18

Hi Brandy,

Many of us have fallen for the " just one ".  Stay committed to NOPE and you will find freedom.  Take it one day at a time and don't smoke. Wishing you all the best.

Hi Brandalynn,

A relapse is considered to be , a return to full time smoking.  A few drags here and there are considered a slip.  

So that description is technical.  The real problem with a few drags here and there, is that it keeps our brain calling out for nicotine(continually awakens the beast.)  I believe our brains can not continue to heal when we interrupt the process by smoking.   

You are doing great with day 8.  Keep posting and reading.  the more you know, the better.  Take it one day at a time,.

MarkOU812

Nov-22

No such thing as one cigarette, they travel in packs.

Gwenivere5

Nov-22

I know you were being serious to the original question, but that is an exceptional pun.

i also think a drag or two is a slip.  Relapse is totally giving up and having to start over.  Another quit group (EX Community) is strict on calling any puff a relapse and making users reset their quit dates for it which I feel is very unfair.  Over the past year I hav had about 4 drags off a disposable e cig and did not like it so ditched it.  I’m sticking to my December date as one year.

i feel if you go right back to the quit after a few drags it is a slip. Buying and adding more slips would be relapse to me.  Just my opinion.n 

MarkOU812

Nov-22

I would agree. 

Msg 5293.7 deleted