About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

January 2020 Ex-Smokers   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 92688 views.
cherbearquit

1/4/20

Dee, I am so sorry you are dealing with so much stress. Stress can definitely cause cravings to return. I once caved due to stress during a previous quit after 8 months. I hated myself for that! And smoking did not solve the problems, so please stay strong and remember NOPE! Stay close to the forum for support and know that we care and are here for you!

elviralives

1/5/20

I just made the complete final decision that I will quit. I'm a closet smoker and only smoke in one place, my porch hidden away from everyone. So this means I can go all day without touching or thinking about a smoke. Until it gets time to head home and I think, wow, my book, a glass of wine (sometimes, sometimes not) and a smoke sounds like heaven now.  So, am I addicted or just created a really horrible bad habit? Regardless, whichever is easier to overcome is what I'll call it.  And I need to stop.  I feel so stupid. This post isn't directed to any one person but all.  I need the support and can be a good support to others as well.  I'm ready to start this.  Challenge accepted.

slowblumer

1/5/20

Hi elviralives,

Welcome.   Pull up your chair and read all you can on nicotine addiction.  The more you know the better you will be able to cope with the process of quitting.  The support here helped me quit for good.

Practical Tips for Your First Smoke-Free Week

Updated November 19, 2015. You may feel like you're on a roller coaster during the first couple of weeks of smoking cessation. Whether you use a quit aid of some sort or go cold turkey, you're going to feel some discomforts due to nicotine withdrawal.

NoTobac

1/5/20

I can't believe it! I haven't even quit yet, 3 packs to go, but my mind is already revolting. All kindsa' thoughts running through my head that say "you can't do this"!!! 

Matt1961

1/5/20

You can do this.  Read Allen Carr.  It will change those thoughts.  He even lets you keep smoking until you have finished his book.  After that, your thoughts have changed such that you don't want smokes any more.

SusanK1960

1/5/20

That's fear!  

Are you consciously smoking?  

In other words, when you are smoking, do you notice how it tastes, do you feel the burn in your throat,  try holding the smoke in your lungs longer, do you exhale fast or slow, are you smoking within 1/2-1hr of your last cig or waiting 2-3 hrs in between?  Really concentrate on what else you do while smoking and not, while you have those cigs.  When do you cough, is it first cig in the morning, while you puff and cough, or do you drink coffee to squelch the cough, to moisturizer the dry throat.  How about at night, do you wheeze, do you feel like you clear your throat? 

Addicts, including smokers, always have the best excuses.

DanJF3

1/5/20

Fear is very normal.  I have managed to talk myself out of quitting many times.  

Right now I am working on day 5 smoke free.  Using the resources here to educate about addiction (especially Allen Carr’s book) has been very helpful as well as reading the thoughts and challenges of others going through this experience.  This past Monday I was sure I was going to skip my plan of quitting on January 1.  I too was missing smoking even before I attempted to stop.  Somehow Tuesday was better and while anxious about quitting I decided to at least do better than the 14 hours I made it smoke free last new year.  

It’s not been an easy 5 days but not too horrible either.  This morning my lungs were kind of burning a bit which often happens whenever I go smoke free for some time but they feel much better now.  I’m sure it’s just all part of recovering their normal function.  

Keep moving forward, take things one day/crave at a time and stay close to the group.  I can’t imagine doing this without support from others.

ModDee

1/5/20

Hi there,

What you're going thru is entirely normal.   Here's more reading that will be of help to you.    A prepared quitter is a successful quitter.

You can do this.  You are stronger than you think you are!

(((Hugs)))

NoTobac

1/5/20

Read both the articles Dee. Thanks bunches. Certainly good info that I need to use!

TonLoc1989

1/5/20

Hi All,

I've quit a handful of times during my 23 years of smoking. I'm past week two right now of almost no nicotine. I just wrote down all the days I can recall that I cheated, I had one cig on day 3, 7, 13, 14, and yesterday day 18. Considering I was smoking a pack a day before this I am not beating myself up over cheating but I also know I need to do this NOPE thing I just read about to ensure my quitting sticks.

I've tried the patch, the gum, I successfully vaped for over a year and got down to a very small nicotine level. But this time I want to get through the nicotine withdrawals, take in NO nicotine supplements and have this quit stick permanently, so that I don't have to go through this again. 

What could I expect considering I cheated as much as I have? I know I got over a big hurdle because I don't feel "insane' like I did my first two weeks. I read the tips for insomnia due to quitting, which is always my excuse to cheat before bed; but is there something more affective? Some home remedy to help knock me out. 

NoTobac  the first two weeks are "interesting" my trick was to treat the withdraw symptoms as something fun. Revel in it; laugh and say "This is Great" go ahead and be weird, say out loud what you're feeling and you'll find humor in the withdraws. That worked for me.