About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 17516 views.
xvaper

Aug-27

I never thought of it that way, only after I quit and started reading all the scientific papers, and going on this board. That is why Lori and I agree, we can never be none smokers, the same way a Heroin addict can never be none addict. It's scary but it's the only way to success. Some people can smoke one, then not another for months, I know them. I do not know why their brains are wired differently, but it doesn't matter because mine does not work that way.

xvaper

Aug-27

WHAT!!!??

Glamping is for princesses like me, who would never go on a regular camping ( self deprecating here..)

Toilette, showers, stylish tents or huts.. to my defense, I grew up I was forced to go on school camping every year, and I hated it.

We made our own tents from old army blankets, stones, ropes and stakes. We ate canned food, and there were no showers or tiolette for a week. I am scarred for life!

CC to TinyBadger
Loreficent

Aug-27

Haha! 
Yeah I’ve done my share of grunge camping for sure. Still do it except now I call it “Grunge Luxury”. The equipment made nowadays is amazing and if you come out and go with me and give it a go I promise you will heal some of that scarring and not be disappointed. Two things: we would eat simple (but good) and you have to potty outside. Other than that...you will be completely comfortable and warm at night all while carrying everything we need in. Just ordered that Jetboil thing to take down near Crater Lake next month. Want to come??

milky_waysunnyevergreen_tree

xvaper

Aug-27

Thank you so much for inviting me I would love to sometimes, but dear as you are, I will not be without toilette.

Other than that I would LOVE to come!! Maybe another time we can organize something more glamp-like..

I like to cook and I am a vegetarian border line Vegan, so I am good with simple foods. 

Loreficent

Aug-27

Yeah. I’ve lost 2 quits with the just one thinking over the years. Almost 7 years quit between the 2 and both times it was “just one”. Came close this quit twice now in 6 months and really meditating on the past and really focusing on the addict part of me is what brought things back around. Hoping to stay focused for the rest of my days now...as “just one” does not work for me. I’m very lucky to have recovered my June day of smoking. It is the first time I actually threw smokes away and not finished a pack, so that helped. Gave me a sense of liberation, that act, as I did intend to smoke the whole pack that day. This is definitely a journey. I’m looking at it as I played roulette and got lucky in June. Nothing more. I believe too that writing about it here helped a lot as I’ve never had a place like this before and am forever grateful for this find and for those that put up with the natter. Seems at least once a day I come write something and am not sure if it is evident but generally I am “writing off a smoke”. Either in the form of Agaves, or visiting Aunt, or protests, or blown up Whales. It is all just distractions from the addiction...just set my mind to romancing something else and keep my eyes on the prize while I live what is still the illusion of freedom. Hope remains for sure, but I am not one who can or ever will solely rely upon that. This takes vigilance and many other attributes in my opinion.

Loreficent

Aug-27

Ok. We can car camp. In a place with toilets. Not sleeping in an RV though and will not tolerate a generator. Deal? I eat fish but that’s it for my meat. Not giving up my milk ever either and there is only one real butter in my opinion. Daughter was  Vegan for a year. My Salmon broke her though. One thing I love to cook and do it better than any I’ve ever had anywhere. Figure I have to cook at least one thing really well as I don’t like cooking. Don’t hate it...just don’t like it. Oh...I eat Tuna too. And Shrimp. Guess that makes me pescatarian....? 

xvaper

Aug-27

I guess so.. I agree with the butter, and I do sin with butter (. which I shouldn't because of the animals)  but no other milk products, and not just because of the animal but from a health prospective, I do believe Milk and its products are cancer promoters but that is another discussion all together. I am not perfect at being Vegan but I do the best I can. I will not eat fish. I would perhaps eat clams and scallops and oysters if I liked them but try as I might, I cant stand them. I love to cook so that would be a good match.

Loreficent

Aug-27

Yes, the production of milk products these days is a horrible process and definitely not what I grew up with. We had our own cows and they were treated very nicely. There was one that even let us kids ride on her. Very sweet animals. I do my best with trying and get organic products, but, I’m not sure if that is a whole lot better as far as treatment of the creatures and perhaps I’m just deluding myself so that I can consume what I love...? I’m lucky as our neighbors have chickens so can get fresh eggs from them and know the chickens are treated nicely. So many folks with chickens in PDX! Roosters not allowed in city limits though. So funny. 
I don’t like oysters or clams either.

TinyBadger

Aug-27

This sounds like a match made in heaven! I can see it now: two scamps out on the lake (toilets nearby and running water) relaxing under the trees and eating vegetables, maybe even with butter! Too bad you guys live so far apart. It's like eggs, they say cage free, but I think to get that certification they only have to have a small amount of time out of a cage. That doesn't mean they are out in the wild foraging. Also, my nutritionist says the size of chicken breasts nowdsys is appalling. No one needs that much meat in one sitting. We've bred animals to be huge for profit. Sad, really. I do buy from the farmers market when I can, and organic if the produce looks better. I shop at a crunchy market a lot because I have a sensitive stomach and some of the brands of food they carry are really good for stress stomach. There's a local market and a chain health food store but I stick with the local 99 percent of the time. I also agree on the butter thing. I don't know if it's true but I've heard that margarine is a couple molecules away from plastic. Flies won't even land on it. 

Loreficent

Aug-27

Yes Tiny...

We are only one of a few modernized nations that have such appalling farming practices. It is even more disruptive to the Earth’s overall ecosystem because we are so overpopulated and it takes way more natural resources to raise a child in the US than anywhere else in the world.  The saddest part is that we have the knowledge, resources, and technology to do way better than we do and we still don’t. Big farming is about as bad as big tobacco really as far as making profit off of ignorance. Probably getting into controversial territory so I’ll stop, but not before I confess that thinking about this stuff is a smoking trigger. Makes one feel defeated and wonder what the purpose is. 
Yes...it would be a fun camping trip for sure! You should come!!

CC to xvaper