About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 18273 views.
xvaper

Aug-27

I guess so.. I agree with the butter, and I do sin with butter (. which I shouldn't because of the animals)  but no other milk products, and not just because of the animal but from a health prospective, I do believe Milk and its products are cancer promoters but that is another discussion all together. I am not perfect at being Vegan but I do the best I can. I will not eat fish. I would perhaps eat clams and scallops and oysters if I liked them but try as I might, I cant stand them. I love to cook so that would be a good match.

Loreficent

Aug-27

Yes, the production of milk products these days is a horrible process and definitely not what I grew up with. We had our own cows and they were treated very nicely. There was one that even let us kids ride on her. Very sweet animals. I do my best with trying and get organic products, but, I’m not sure if that is a whole lot better as far as treatment of the creatures and perhaps I’m just deluding myself so that I can consume what I love...? I’m lucky as our neighbors have chickens so can get fresh eggs from them and know the chickens are treated nicely. So many folks with chickens in PDX! Roosters not allowed in city limits though. So funny. 
I don’t like oysters or clams either.

TinyBadger

Aug-27

This sounds like a match made in heaven! I can see it now: two scamps out on the lake (toilets nearby and running water) relaxing under the trees and eating vegetables, maybe even with butter! Too bad you guys live so far apart. It's like eggs, they say cage free, but I think to get that certification they only have to have a small amount of time out of a cage. That doesn't mean they are out in the wild foraging. Also, my nutritionist says the size of chicken breasts nowdsys is appalling. No one needs that much meat in one sitting. We've bred animals to be huge for profit. Sad, really. I do buy from the farmers market when I can, and organic if the produce looks better. I shop at a crunchy market a lot because I have a sensitive stomach and some of the brands of food they carry are really good for stress stomach. There's a local market and a chain health food store but I stick with the local 99 percent of the time. I also agree on the butter thing. I don't know if it's true but I've heard that margarine is a couple molecules away from plastic. Flies won't even land on it. 

Loreficent

Aug-27

Yes Tiny...

We are only one of a few modernized nations that have such appalling farming practices. It is even more disruptive to the Earth’s overall ecosystem because we are so overpopulated and it takes way more natural resources to raise a child in the US than anywhere else in the world.  The saddest part is that we have the knowledge, resources, and technology to do way better than we do and we still don’t. Big farming is about as bad as big tobacco really as far as making profit off of ignorance. Probably getting into controversial territory so I’ll stop, but not before I confess that thinking about this stuff is a smoking trigger. Makes one feel defeated and wonder what the purpose is. 
Yes...it would be a fun camping trip for sure! You should come!!

CC to xvaper
TinyBadger

Aug-27

I don't think you'd want to camp with me. There isn't a ton of bathing. And there is a lot of early morning reading. Plus I hear that I snore a little. I catch and release usually. I wear a baseball cap and call my hair done. 

xvaper

Aug-27

Well...I still do not like the idea of taking a calf away from the cow so we can get her milk, and repeat the process. I think. if everyone had to go kill and butcher their own meat, there would be a lot more vegetarians. I also sin with eggs, but again, in order to get hen chicks and no roosters, you have to kill every male chick that hatches. I don't want to even describe how they do it. So there really is no way to get animal based food without hurting them, so in an ideal world...but it is not an ideal world, and I do the best I can.

CC to TinyBadger
xvaper

Aug-27

Oh and Lori, apropo big tobacco, don't let me start on the meat loby..

CC to TinyBadger
TinyBadger

Aug-28

It's funny, here if you hit an animal on the road, it's yours. (You have to call a bear or a moose in to hwy patrol before you can take it ) if you let law enforcement know you hit something and you don't want it, local meat processing companies take care of the meat and donate it to our local food bank. I think that's neat and not wasteful. I grew up vegetarian as my grandpa was a government meat inspector and showed my mom his work once. Meat was done for her. Anyhoo, I'm not a squirrel kabob kind of gal, and I'm ok with that. I mostly eat grilled chicken or vegetarian food. My husband is allergic to some types of fish (we are working with an allergist) so we stick with fowl.  Lots of lentils. I do admit that every now and then I yearn for a meat marinara sauce but tough it out and use tempeh. Not the same but I am trying to make good food choices. My husband did grill me a burger a few days ago and it was so good, I hadn't had one in what seemed like forever! 

xvaper

Aug-28

Sounds like your diet is very good. I don't preach to others.. But personally I believe that meat and  milk products are harmful to the body even if it was a major component of the human species evolution. People. didn't live long enough back then, but now we do, and the result animal based foods are not good in the long run. Also, I have an auto immune disease, Lots of joint problems. and after about 6 months off dairy it improved by about 80 percent and energy levels went way up. Meat wise I was. never a fan, and by the time I became mostly vegan, I couldn't stand the taste of meat in my mouth..the smell of chicken was still good, but when I started eating it, It felt like eating a carcass, dead flesh (which  it is) . once chewed,  it smelled like the inside of a butcher shop, raw meat, even though it  was cooked. Anyways I will never be able to eat meat again and I don't want to...

TinyBadger

Aug-28

I'm so sorry you have health issues, that sucks! On the bright side you have found a lifestyle that works for you and makes you feel good. I've never been fat like I was as a vegetarian. I dated a guy who worked at the crunchy food store and he really liked feeding me(he worked in the deli/restaurant). Anyhoo, I learned a valuable lesson, which was that just because you're not eating meat doesn't mean you have a healthy diet. I was eating the equivalent of organic cheetohs and cookies that were soooo good! I took an ethics class during my stint at online classes and there was a video that shook me. I was a vegetarian for about a year after, and my husband even went along with me. I have to admit it was bacon that broke me. God, I love me some bacon when it's crisp. I've been thinking about going back, doing another stint just to see if it will improve how I'm feeling. Just toying with the thought. I was smoking during my vegetarian year, and in a pretty stressful job so that isn't a good reference point, I guess .As an aside, the last 5 days I've been out of sorts for some reason. It's felt like the lozenges weren't working and I was getting pretty crabby. So I picked up some 4mg lozenges as I'm currently on the 2. I'd rather go up than lose my quit. The 4s didn't do crap. So this morning I grabbed the wrong one and the 2s did me just fine. Weird. And no one better say anything about lady times because I had a hysterectomy.