About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 17519 views.
TinyBadger

Aug-27

I don't think you'd want to camp with me. There isn't a ton of bathing. And there is a lot of early morning reading. Plus I hear that I snore a little. I catch and release usually. I wear a baseball cap and call my hair done. 

xvaper

Aug-27

Well...I still do not like the idea of taking a calf away from the cow so we can get her milk, and repeat the process. I think. if everyone had to go kill and butcher their own meat, there would be a lot more vegetarians. I also sin with eggs, but again, in order to get hen chicks and no roosters, you have to kill every male chick that hatches. I don't want to even describe how they do it. So there really is no way to get animal based food without hurting them, so in an ideal world...but it is not an ideal world, and I do the best I can.

CC to TinyBadger
xvaper

Aug-27

Oh and Lori, apropo big tobacco, don't let me start on the meat loby..

CC to TinyBadger
TinyBadger

Aug-28

It's funny, here if you hit an animal on the road, it's yours. (You have to call a bear or a moose in to hwy patrol before you can take it ) if you let law enforcement know you hit something and you don't want it, local meat processing companies take care of the meat and donate it to our local food bank. I think that's neat and not wasteful. I grew up vegetarian as my grandpa was a government meat inspector and showed my mom his work once. Meat was done for her. Anyhoo, I'm not a squirrel kabob kind of gal, and I'm ok with that. I mostly eat grilled chicken or vegetarian food. My husband is allergic to some types of fish (we are working with an allergist) so we stick with fowl.  Lots of lentils. I do admit that every now and then I yearn for a meat marinara sauce but tough it out and use tempeh. Not the same but I am trying to make good food choices. My husband did grill me a burger a few days ago and it was so good, I hadn't had one in what seemed like forever! 

xvaper

Aug-28

Sounds like your diet is very good. I don't preach to others.. But personally I believe that meat and  milk products are harmful to the body even if it was a major component of the human species evolution. People. didn't live long enough back then, but now we do, and the result animal based foods are not good in the long run. Also, I have an auto immune disease, Lots of joint problems. and after about 6 months off dairy it improved by about 80 percent and energy levels went way up. Meat wise I was. never a fan, and by the time I became mostly vegan, I couldn't stand the taste of meat in my mouth..the smell of chicken was still good, but when I started eating it, It felt like eating a carcass, dead flesh (which  it is) . once chewed,  it smelled like the inside of a butcher shop, raw meat, even though it  was cooked. Anyways I will never be able to eat meat again and I don't want to...

TinyBadger

Aug-28

I'm so sorry you have health issues, that sucks! On the bright side you have found a lifestyle that works for you and makes you feel good. I've never been fat like I was as a vegetarian. I dated a guy who worked at the crunchy food store and he really liked feeding me(he worked in the deli/restaurant). Anyhoo, I learned a valuable lesson, which was that just because you're not eating meat doesn't mean you have a healthy diet. I was eating the equivalent of organic cheetohs and cookies that were soooo good! I took an ethics class during my stint at online classes and there was a video that shook me. I was a vegetarian for about a year after, and my husband even went along with me. I have to admit it was bacon that broke me. God, I love me some bacon when it's crisp. I've been thinking about going back, doing another stint just to see if it will improve how I'm feeling. Just toying with the thought. I was smoking during my vegetarian year, and in a pretty stressful job so that isn't a good reference point, I guess .As an aside, the last 5 days I've been out of sorts for some reason. It's felt like the lozenges weren't working and I was getting pretty crabby. So I picked up some 4mg lozenges as I'm currently on the 2. I'd rather go up than lose my quit. The 4s didn't do crap. So this morning I grabbed the wrong one and the 2s did me just fine. Weird. And no one better say anything about lady times because I had a hysterectomy. 

Loreficent

Aug-28

Oh I bet I would like to camp with you! Not much bathing from me either, so X may be the one that doesn’t like that part. I also have a bad habit on my days off now of putting hair in a braid and not touching it for a few days. I certainly have never washed it while camping. So ball cap and done is fine. What do you catch and release? Trout? Had a boyfriend in my way younger days that fished a lot, and I used to go with my dad quite a bit. I just like to be out there and it doesn’t bother me to not talk for hours. Believe it or not... 

Loreficent

Aug-28

I was strict Veg for 11 years before I had my daughter. You’re right too Tiny in that being Veg doesn’t mean one eats healthy. Nowadays there is so much processed stuff for Veg diets. Lots of that is not very healthy. 
I do think about going strictly Veg again often and giving up my Salmon. And I miss bacon too. Somehow faux bacon doesn’t tempt me. I’d rather not eat faux meats. Now the real disgusting thing is this...what I missed most  when I was Veg was a real hot dog. The only time I eat meat now is on Thanksgiving as I have a friend who hunts and gives me Venison sausage that he makes. So I love that in the stuffing that is cooked inside the Turkey but I don’t eat the Turkey, just the stuffing. Silly. I don’t know...seems diets are a personal thing and one should do what their health and convictions require of them. I will also eat meat as a guest if I end up somewhere that the folks prepared a dinner and didn’t know I am pescatarian. That’s just how I was raised I think. Seems like smoking, one can rationalize a lot with our diets too. Wonder if that rationalization part is more finely honed in me having been a smoker? That took a lot of rationalization and I think smokers can outdo just about anyone on that front really. 
Milk I just love. I know it’s not good for the animals and think it’s odd that humans are the only mammals that continue to consume it after being “weaned”, and consume that of another mammal too. Maybe I’ll focus on that after I’ve been quit smoking for a year. That will likely actually be harder for me as I don’t think they make a “milk patch”. Oh boy. 
Meant to CC Tiny but see I can’t do that after it’s sent... or at least I don’t know how...

• Edited August 28, 2020 10:33 pm  by  Loreficent
TinyBadger

Aug-28

Round here there are tons of fish: varieties of trout, bass, walleye, salmon (difficult to catch unless you're ice fishing) ..and my personal favorite: bow fishing for carp. Carp are invasive so you're highly encouraged to get them out of the water. They really ruin it for all the other fish. I'm no hunter so we release everything but the carp. My husband loves fish but has been having some weird reactions to fish, so we are working with the allergist to figure out what's happening. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's fresh caught or not. The reactions are the worst with tuna and salmon, no, not the cans, insert eye roll. I know, I type a ton here but am very introverted, as is my husband. We like living a quiet life. We don't have hundreds of friends and we don't go places all the time. We definitely belong in Montana. He loves to fish and for a while he would go with his friends, then he started going alone. I figured he just wanted some me time but then he invited me. Some of his friends do nothing but talk and drink beer and it was killing the vibe, so now I go and we have a coke and sit on the waters edge. Sometimes he wants to talk and sometimes he doesn't. Either way is fine by me. Lots of deer in the yard today. They are everywhere this time of year and my hydrangea is holding on by a thread. I've got to put a net on that thing until it gets bigger. So i have short hair and it's shaved on one side and a little longer on the other, it gets styled super messy. Goes with the tattoos, right? People here love that, let me tell you...gross though it may sound my hair does just fine without daily washing. Sure, I wash it before work but on the weekends I'm usually rocking a baseball cap and shorts with my converse so I don't really give a hoot. It saves water and my stylist says that you don't have to do it everyday because it strips the healthy oils from your hair. I've tried dry shampoo and it's just weird. I rambled a lot here. Sorry.

Loreficent

Aug-29

Well, don’t feel bad about typing a lot on here. You don’t type more than me. Not sure anyone does, haha. It writes out time for me so to speak. Plus, I love reading your stuff. You write observations and thoughts and I like that. This quit is a journey and a process and if writing helps us...there you go. Honestly, I am like you in that regard as far as quiet when not on here. Can sit for hours and crochet in the winter with just my thoughts. Then I walk for hours now too with just my thoughts, well, and a lot of music. I never wrote anything anywhere but here. Well, except for what was required in college, etc. 

I like deer. Used to have them around all the time growing up out in the country. Peaceful and graceful creatures. Haven’t seen any in PDX, although Eugene, OR has a lot. We do have a lot of coyotes and it is not uncommon to see them in the neighborhoods. Another reason I keep my cats in. Know lots of folks have lost their cats to them. My small dog took off one night after one and I thought she was a goner. What saved her I think was me screaming and it ran fast. 
So you have tattoos?? I like tattoos. A lot. And your hair sounds easy. I’ve always wanted to try the shaved sides thing but never did. Mine is really long, like almost sit on it, but I trim it so I don’t. I’ve found it way easier than short hair for me as it is also really thick and wavy and when it is short I have to “do something “ with it and put goop in it and I don’t like to do either of those. With it long I only have to wash it one to two times a week. The biggest thing and first thing I loved about quitting smoking was I didn’t smell it on my hair anymore. I always hated that and the smell of smoking in general and never smoked inside or in the car cause of it. Could never stand to have someone else’s smoke around me, or on a very still and breezeless day how smoke would linger near me. Yuck. Funny how I did it anyway and those that knew I smoked would comment on it as they couldn’t figure out how if I disliked the smell so much why I did it. Would always wash my hands right away to get the smell off too. Had a smoking shirt and would put that on and go out. But it always lingered in my hair and I washed it a lot more cause of that. Now I don’t go to bed with wet hair every night and am looking forward to that this winter. Yeah...glad to not be doing it even though I still think about it and romance it. That is less most days though now though.