About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 16816 views.
TinyBadger

Jun-13

I really hope so. I was pretty desperate this morning. My husband got me up and on a walk, which helped. Then we went shopping. Unfortunately, after dinner he went outside and smoked. He says he's not ready and I respect his honestly. I know it can be done, but damn it's hard to quit with another smoker around. I keep reading articles here and trying to stay neutral with him. I told him when he's ready that I'll be there for him. I'm glad at least he is keeping me distracted and being my cheerleader. It's weird how he's not ready but he's trying really hard to keep me motivated. Hopefully he'll quit soon. The mornings will get easier. I'm trying to change up my routine and the meditation and eating a healthy breakfast seem to help. It requires getting up a little earlier but whatever it takes.

KittieM

Jun-14

Hi! I have made the decision to quit & I feel happy & petrified.

I am not a forum sort of person usually so I am not sure if this is appropriate but I wanted to thank everyone here for being here relaxed 

and wish you all the most wonderful happy healthy futures!

A question I have is, did/does anyone else feel a sense of grief? 

I realise this may be an odd emotion and I don't understand it but I definitely feel it.

Many thanks for any thoughts relaxed

slowblumer

Jun-14

Hi there Kittie,

Welcome to the forum.  Good for you in making the decision to quit smoking.  During my quit I often felt like I was going through the stages of grief.   Of course, it was a milder version of the grief then how someone feels having lost a family member or friend but nevertheless it was a form of grief.  Not odd at all that you feel this way.  Just know that it will get better.

Please stay with us and post and read and  get educated on nicotine addiction.  If you can start at the beginning of this thread and read all the articles along the way.

Why Do I Dread Quitting So Much?

Nicotine Withdrawal and Junkie Thinking 

Understanding the emotional stages of loss when quitting smoking

In reply toRe: msg 27
KalyaRed

Jun-14

Hi June quitters,

I'm embarrassed to state that this is maybe the fifth group I join, but well. This is a terrible addiction. Let's go again. 

Ovdz, I'm glad you came around too. 

I'm right behind you. 

TinyBadger, I know what you mean about having a smoker in the house. My husband doesn't even tell me off anymore when I relapse. What can we do, we're locked inside the same tiny house for the fourth month and counting. I just keep trying, keeping failing, keep getting back up. 

Be strong, all of you, all of us :) 

Ana

Dotti2020

Jun-14

I have Just registered today and I am on day 3!  Tough one today.  I can't believe  I am having to go through this again.  I'm ashamed to say a couple of years ago, I started smoking again after 3 years of  abstinence.  Support on here will be invaluable.  

KalyaRed

Jun-14

Hi Dotti, 

Welcome to the forum! I'm on day three as well after having lost a quit of 50 days that must have been my thousandth. 

Don't be ashamed, we're all fighting for freedom here. 

I get that it's hard to believe we're at it again but at least you've made a decision and are better than being smoking. 

So congratulations on your decision! Don't doubt it, you've made the right decision! 

Ana

KalyaRed

Jun-14

Hi Tiny Badger, 

Post as much as you need to. That's what the forum is for. I have the opposite problem - I'm not always here and sometimes miss important messages, but we are all as available as we can. 

I love the message from DbAnne wishing us a speedy recovery - isn't it an amazing message? We can recover from this addiction. 

Ana

TinyBadger

Jun-14

Welcome! I felt a sense of grief. Cigarettes were my best friend. They were always there for me, for the celebrations and the losses, the smiles and the tears. I always had them at my side. Please know that you are not alone. Post any time about anything. We're here for you.

TinyBadger

Jun-14

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like kalyared and I are both with you--im on day three as well. It's been a rough one. I started smoking after 7 years smober. Then I quit again for 135 days and relapsed. It just goes to show what everyone here says, don't get too confident and treat your quit like a baby. You just pick yourself up and keep trying. We're here for you, post anytime.

Loreficent

Jun-14

I would say that if anyone were annoyed by how or where you post it is a lick on them. We all process in different ways! The beauty of this place is the individual, independent, yet collective journey we are all on. Do whatever works for you. 
There is something to be learned from each and every post. Sometimes the learning is for all, sometimes it is just for the one posting in the way they are allowed to process it out. 
Please keep posting. It will help you. 
Someone was looking for a quote to share with a group they were going to attend...was that you?