About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Journals   Quit Stories and Journals

Started Dec-4 by Lainie (elaineadele); 1090 views.

Elaine if you want to look at other quit journals click where it says quit stories and journals 8888 messages in 108 discussions (darker grey heading)the whole list will pop up and then just choose one to read. Hope this helps.

Thanks Deb.  How are you?  I still feel crappy head’s not clear.  I’m trying to find a doctor to be checked out.  Should I still be feeling this way at 3 months and 2 days.

It's good to get checked out by your doctor but don't be surprised if he finds that you are ok. This drug withdrawal shows just how powerful it is. That drug screwed up our brain chemistry and our affected every cell in our bodies so it's no wonder it is taking so long to feel good again. You are still only three months into your quit but you will find some freedom too once some receptors shut down. Don't expect things to totally disappear either so read the other folders like those from March or April to see how others further along feel. Your doctor might help you add an antidepressant for the short term while you are experiencing extreme blue moods. I joined a gym and started weight training to help with the weight gain I put on and exercise really helped boost my blue moods. I hope you find your peace in the quit soon as I know how difficult it can be. Try to keep thinking positively and be proud of yourself as this is one of the most difficult drugs any human can get free from. You'll feel so empowered once you get through these frustratingly tough months. Keep smiling!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Hi Deb,

my reasons for my concern are not just the withdrawal symptoms.  My mind does’n’t feel like my mind.  My normal self is outgoing, doing something all the time, etc.  since the surgery and withdrawal, I have’s been able to think straight,  don’t want to do anything,   It’s not me.

I understand, I'm a retired nurse and know that people that suffer from severe depression is extremely difficult to treat. Depression is a withdrawal symptom from quitting smoking because our brain is working overtime to rewire and get balanced again without the drug nicotine that kept us all hyped up. Nicotine is a very addictive stimulant drug and once we quit taking it in our brain goes through a type of shock and our moods definitely get affected as well as our digestion, sleep/wake cycles, and a multitude of moods. This is not an easy addiction for anyone to overcome but it's even harder for people that already suffer from depression or other disorders. Getting surgery is also a severe stress on your body so you are getting a double whammy. Be kind to yourself take lots of soaking baths to relax, eat a healthy diet and get some kind of exercise as tolerated. Your entire body is healing even if it doesn't feel like it and your blue moods will eventually fade with more time. I'm sending you a big CYBERHUG! Hang in there everyone on the forum sees your pain and we all hope you hang out with us and find freedom too. Hope your doctor gives you some help too. Good luck. 

Would you please direct me back to your page where you talk about months 3-4.  I just reread your journal, and that page is separate and I can’t find it .   Thanks

It is in the Dots and Stars Milestone 1579 messages in 150 discussions folder-  click on this darker grey box and the entire list is in there. Mine is Deb's 2 month milestone post.  Or you could type Deb's 2 month milestone post in the Find Messages box at the top.

You need to get familiar with all the folders. Don't be afraid to click on any of them. Just look around and if you want to reply to a post click on the reply button at the bottom right of each post. 

You want affirmation that what you are going through is normal, well yes it's normal with quitting this drug Addiction.  Everyone is different though in there reactions and responses to our new reality of agony for several months. If this was easy, everyone would be quit but it is horrible. Insomnia, night sweats, angry one minute depressed the next anxious, brain fog unable to concentrate, jittery, bitchy, down right rude etc. etc. the list goes on and on. We will get back to normal eventually so keep reading everything and just don't smoke. There is a much better life once you are free. Good luck.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept, 27, 2013

How do you act normal around other people with all this going on?

Fake it till you make it. Smile even if you feel blah. Otherwise, you'll lose friends and people don't like being around complainers as I found out. Don't worr, you will eventually get back to your old self as I did. Keep going no matter what crap comes your way. I hope this helps as there is no easy way through this. Stay strong!