About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

6 months nicotine free   Quit Support

Started Dec-9 by Windstoner; 536 views.
Windstoner

Dec-9

My 6 month quitaversary was on June 6!!! I actually had a very long day. I was flying from Asia to Europe, which extended the day by about 8 hours for me. This is actually my longest quit ever- I started up again at just a few days shy of 6 months back in 2005. 

The fact that I was having my first long haul flight (and vacation ) since quitting did not escape me. I was very happy to have so little stress about a 14 hour flight. Before, I needed to pack enough e-cig juice and I always took sneak hits off of e-cig mid flight with my blanket over my head! A 14 hour flight still sucks, but not as bad as before. 

When I  arrived,  I did miss smoking a few times. Something about being on vacation and wanting to "relax". I knew it wasn't true and just kept moving forward. As soon as I thought those smokers looked like they were having fun, I immediately thought about that compulsion get away and smoke.

I have had a total coffee relapse to help with the jet lag. Certainly the jet leg feeling is a nicotine trigger, as is the coffee jitter feeling. I'm currently on my way to Amsterdam and I will be smoking other things and it will be interesting to see if that triggers anything - if memory serves, it doesn't. 

Thanks for all the support here and for those of you still struggling,  keep going!!!

June 6, 2019

Brenda (1sept19)

Dec-9

Congratulations on 6 months free.  Just keep going, those triggers will hit out of nowhere, but each time you conquer one you win.  Keep the faith and have a great vacation.

SusanK1960

Dec-9

Hi Windstoner,

Congratulations on being 6 months free.  I think that is a wonderful accomplishment.  I got a sense of excitement from your message that you are embracing the new you.  Enjoy your vacation!

suemegan

Dec-10

So happy to hear!!! I also reached my 6 month quit

on June 8. I haven’t been on here for a while but it was good to do some reading and see how well people are doing.  Still get cravings but keeping my guard up and my toolbox ready helps!!!!!

In reply toRe: msg 2
Windstoner

Dec-11

There were definitely some triggering moments, but overall I am really glad I am not a smoker any more. I had to be careful because joints here are often mixed with tobacco. It was weird to engage in the act of smoking. I don't miss that part, actually. It's become clear to me that I miss nicotine, not smoking. Ironically,  smoking cigarettes is not allowed indoors in Amsterdam. So far, so good. I feel great. 

Brenda (1sept19)

Dec-11

Congratulations Sue on 6 months free.  You are doing this !!

suemegan

Dec-11

Thanks so much Brenda!!!!