About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Bad taste in mouth?   Health Support and Encouragement

Started Dec-9 by alexisfree; 401 views.
alexisfree

Dec-9

Hey, 

Has anyone experienced a bad taste in their mouth AFTER quitting smoking?  Just recently I'm started to have a metallic taste in my mouth.  I'm going to schedule an appointment with my dentist to make sure its not something dental hygiene related (I'm pretty vigilant about brushing and flossing), but I was just wondering if anyone experienced it as a side effect of quitting smoking.  Thankssssss!!!

Haajas75

Dec-9

I've not quit as long as you but I also have that same nasty taste I just called up must be from quitting bit tell myself got be better than smokers breath but hmmm maybe not....let us know what dentist says

SusanK1960

Dec-10

Hi Haajas,

I think you and I both quit around the same time. I will be seeing my dentist/periodontist tomorrow and will ask, however, I find that smokers who quit are much more informed about symptoms associated with quitting. I will let you know what he says.

I know Mark OU812 also mentioned a while ago he also had the metallic taste. I think it was in Oct Quitters 19 thread.

Haajas75

Dec-10

I don't want call mine metallic but definitely not a pleasent taste and I can brush feel fresh then 20-30minutes later it's their again....yes plz keep us posted

To You and anyone else having metallic breath. It's from the old icky tar filled cells in your throat being sloughed off. The poisonous chemical and tar in Cigarettes coated and infiltrated our cells. As the old cells get replaced you might have a sore throat and your cilia (fine tiny hairs) will start working properly now as they will no longer be stuck down by the tar. Once you are all healed your breath will be fresher than ever. As for the dentist, your gums might bleed a little more because more oxygen is in your gums so don't be alarmed. Your gums will also return to a proper state. Other things like your circulation improves big time for many people as they no longer have cold fingers and toes. Be aware of all the great improvements quitting cigarettes gives you and be proud to be a quitter. Every cell in our body was consumed by the poisons in cigarettes and it takes a long time till every cell gets replaced. The shock of the quit causes us that missing something feeling and our brain fog, depression, mood swings, insomnia etc. but we must remember this is an emotion laden drug addiction. Don't let anything or anyone sabotage your quit and stick out the hard times because once you are free it's awesome. Read everything as an educated quit is a successful quit. One day at a time thinking adds up so don't worry about tomorrow. We all must learn Patience with the Process as its a painfully slow process till we get free. So stay busy and distracted, do deep breathing 5-6 times to calm your jittery antsy nerves and drink water each time you get those tough craves. Use whatever nicotine substitutes you need to get through the tough craves as smoking is no longer an option. Heal your body and get fit and healthy in the process. Show that nicotine monster that you are the boss not him. Good luck.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

alexisfree

Dec-10

Debbie Steinman (DebbieSteinm) said:

old icky tar filled cells in your throat being sloughed off.

Gross!  Well, this is just the gift that keeps on giving isn't it?!  Hahahaha.  Thank you Debbie!  You are a rock here on this forum.  I'm so glad to have a bad taste in my mouth today because it means I'm freeeeeeeee!!!!  I love my quit so much.  I'm so glad to be where I'm at.  According to my quit app I've regained approximately 26 days of life.  Woohoo!  

Someone ought to make a video of "What happens when you quit smoking" all the crazy stuff - depression, metallic taste in mouth, walking around like a zombie.  So that way maybe kids won't start?  Idk...I'm just a dreamer.  

Lots of love...xo

alexisfree

Dec-10

Thank you Haajas and Susan for responding.  Yes, Susan - please let me know what your doctor says.  I'll let you know when I go to mine.  I'm so glad to be free and have a bad taste in my mouth today.  I have a bunch of dental picks so I'm using those and constantly "flossing" - I didn't even realize that this may be my mind trying to replace the sickarette habit!  Such an insidious addiction.  Yuck!  I'm glad we're all free today.  xoxo

CC to SusanK1960