About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

July 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/25/19 by ModDee; 8659 views.
SusanK1960

Jul-11

Hi Maryanne,

I’m checking in to see how you have been doing this week.  Have you set a plan and put it in motion yet?  It is scary and anxiety producing to think about quitting, however, you will need a plan that works for you.  Not starting to stop can also be anxiety producing as the BUT can get in the way.  Such as:

I want to quit smoking, BUT I don’t want to go thru withdrawal.

I need to quit smoking before I have lung cancer, BUT I need to do it when I’m not so busy.

You get the idea.  You need to get rid of BUT to get off the butts.

Let us know how your plan is going.

SusanK1960

Jul-11

Hi Kitty,

Just checking to see how the last three days have been and to Let you know you have company on this journey!

In reply toRe: msg 29
slowblumer

Jul-12

Hi everyone,

I remember reading this powerful testimony from Dana at some point after I quit smoking.  It helped me keep going.

5/8/18

In her account, Dana looks back on how it felt to quit smoking and how her life has changed in 5 years of smoke-free living.

Thanks for sharing Dana, and congratulations of 5 smoke-free years!

From Dana:

I thought I was doomed (destined?) to be a smoker for the rest of my life. I was resigned to that fact, that's just the way it was going to be. I proved myself right time and time again - I tried and failed to quit smoking too many times to count.

Around May or June of 2009, a friend of mine with multiple sclerosis told me just what I needed to hear at exactly the moment I needed to hear it. She looked me in the eyes and said - from the heart, from her own life experience - there are a lot of things that can happen to you health-wise that you have absolutely no control over. Smoking cigarettes (the consequences of smoking) isn't one of them. I couldn't disagree with her.

And then I had oral surgery coming up and Doc said I shouldn't smoke for a while after the surgery. I thought okay, I'll make that my target quit date!! (again). But this time will be different!! (again). I'll prepare myself in advance!! (again). I wanted to succeed this time, but I still had my doubts.

And then I found this forum.... and I found a whole lot more stuff that I could put in my toolbox to help me quit, once and for all. At first I just lurked. I read everything in sight! And it helped a lot. And I followed the suggestions of the wise folks who'd been here a while, to the best of my ability.

I thought I'd be alright just reading stuff - I can relate to a lot of what people are saying, but I'm not a "joiner" - I didn't need to actually "join" the forum! But when I was about to cave in a month later, on my birthday, I bit the bullet and got my own profile so I could post a cry for help. And man-o-man did I get a lot of help! It took my recovery from this horrible addiction to a whole new level. It was not easy. By far, quitting smoking is the hardest thing I've ever done. But being a part of this forumily made the unbearable just a little less unbearable.

My life today is better than I could have ever imagined. I really thought that the craving, the longing, the missing those darn things would be with me forever. But no way! I don't recall when it totally went away... I remember having very brief moments of peace every now and then, and that gave me hope. And then the moments of peace started happening a little more often. And I didn't really notice it until after the fact, and there it was again. Before I knew it, I wasn't thinking about smoking and I wasn't thinking about not smoking. It was, and continues to be, a beautiful thing.

If you're new, please hang in there. Reach out for help when you need it. We are all overcoming the same addiction here, and there seems to be safety in numbers, so stay in the middle of the herd, as they say. You don't want to have to start over again. It will get better, but you gotta stay stopped to get there.

All the best, 

Dana

euknight

Jul-13

Hey Jeff,

I was reading this article called No Mans Land that talked about day 30-120.  It brought up some good points.  One I recall is that after the 1st month there is a lot of support and then not as much.  I was glad to see in words that after the month people out there expect you to be over it which is just untrue.  Then the thought process is “I Should be over it....”

Course you and I know better.  I do not want to discourage anyone.  The sharp edged craves will not be as bad as time passes.

Thank you for the well wishes.  I guess doing well is just not smoking and I haven’t. Not going to say it is easy. There is a different level of cravings during this time.  Have thought a lot about stopping smoking vs quitting for good. I know the difference now.  Stopping was easier to take cos it was not permanent. Yes you make sense.  I am embracing the quit.  You can too.

My sponsor reminded me the other day that when it comes right down to it, no matter the chemical, no matter the addictive symptoms the truth is we just do not want to be uncomfortable.

She’s pretty much right on there.

So if you decide to pick a day or not either is fine.  I encourage you to write instead of smoke.  Stay connected with a few in this group and pledge.  I am happy to help in any way I can.

Have a wonderful smoke free night and tomorrow.

Peggy

5-8-20

Nope62

Jul-14

HI!

Glad to hear from you. I hope you are still doing well! 

If not smoking is doing well I'm doing alright.

I have been told about this "No Man's Land" by other people. Here is a link to a thread that you can read, that I read some time back.

https://www.quittrain.com/topic/2704-no-mans-land/

I hope the link works!

To me it seems reasonable that this could happen considering how intense the first part of a quit is. And it rings true with my previous quits. I never loose a quit in the early days. I've got that down pat. It's like a challenge to me. I always loose my quit later on after I don't have to concentrate as much on not smoking.

But as I see it there is still this commitment to quit and not just stop. If my commitment to quit was strong enough I would be able to work my way through this so called "No Man's Land". Not let my guard down and actually quit forever!

I can only be aware of these problems and try not to get lost in No Man's Land again. I've been quit for 12 days now, so I'll get my chance to try and stay on track again before long.

Take Care!

Jeff

Lyney

Jul-14

Hi Jimi,

I also quit on June 30th which means that you too have hit your 2 week milestone! How has it been going?

Hang in there

To quit smoking, you have to want to quit. I smoked for 50 years and had stopped for 13 years. When I gave the tobacco up, I smoked it, I chewed it, I dipped it and would have shoved it up you know where if I though I would get thrill out of it.  I wore a patch for about five days. It dawned on me, if I can do without for five days, I can do without for ever. And that was the end of my smoking. I did become aware of the following: people that smoke stink, they burn holes in their clothes before they wear them out, their breath is more like a sewer, their teeth are stained and they may lose every last one of their teeth, the fingers on the hand they holds the smoke is also stained. To sum this up. I was raised on a tobacco farm and everyone in my family smoked. Both my parents died of cancer at a young age. After I had quite for 13 years, the good doctors found a nice size thing in my left lung. Only cure was to remove it. I am one very lucky person, I do not need to have an oxygen tube strapped to my head and can do almost anything that I did before the operation, but just a little slower. Only problem is that I run out of energy very fast. It was just one day past by 75 birthday when the lung was removed. The doctor told me that I might last another five years because that is about average after losing a lung. Guess what? I will be 86 years old come November. For all of you out there that want to quit, do it now and don't mess around with cutting down to a half pack or a few smokes per day, just quit. Maybe some of you want to be around to see your grand children. If I could do it after 50 years, you can too. 

Loreficent

Jul-16

Wow!

Thank you so much for posting that! Sounds like you are definitely made of some tough stuff. How absolutely wonderful! It is always inspiring to have folks like you come here and tell their story, so, thanks!

In reply toRe: msg 35
Lubbercat

Jul-16

So, I have been on and off of here entirely too often.  I quit before for 2 1/2 years and then started back up.  This year, I have probably been quit more often then I have smoked (I guess that is a good thing) but, it has been a series of smoke/quit/smoke/quit/smoke/quit.  I am just really hoping that this time I can stay quit.  It is very difficult for me because of living with a smoker.  He smokes outside but I know he is out there smoking......I also work in a small place and the person I work with there smokes also.  I actually smoked my last on the 8th so, I have 1 week over and done with at this point.  I have not really been active on here so I am hoping this time to become more active in hopes that it will keep me quit.

I am reading lots and plan to continue reading and reading.  

Thank you all for listening

slowblumer

Jul-17

Hi Lubbercat,

Welcome back.  You quit for 2.5 yrs and that is a big win for you along with being quit more than smoking.

Hope you will page through the July thread to see who your recent quit buddy's are.  One week quit is a huge step forward.

Best wishes to you.