About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

July 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/25/19 by ModDee; 6202 views.
In reply toRe: msg 5

In reply toRe: msg 6
Kittyxxx121

Jul-3

Hi everyone,  

My name is Kat. I quit on June 25th. It's currently my 6th serious attempt. I usually manage a few months or years and then relapse. This time I'm determined it is for good.

Hey Kitty,

Welcome.  Determination is a good thing.  It will greatly help you in this process.

Common Rationalizations for Smoking (And How to Overcome Them)

So much of this journey freeing ourselves from nicotine addiction is mental.  We are talking to ourselves in our minds daily and we are the ones that can control that conversation to work for us or against us.  Quitting smoking triggers mental rationalizations that are incorrect.

Nope62

Jul-3

Welcome,

We are all glad that you are here! I have had the same problem. I am on my 5th quit this calendar year. I've been told that I have only been stopping, not quitting! Maybe you could think about this also. I'm not saying this is why you are continuing to relapse, but it is something to think about. When you put that last cigarette out, are you quitting for the rest of your life or are you just stopping for a certain length of time! You could, like me, be doing that without knowing it. I am not committing to quit forever! But I'm a good stopper!

You are in the right place to get help and support! Read all you can here! Get to know your enemy ( nicotine ). It's a tricky opponent!

Take Care! 

SusanK1960

Jul-3

Welcome!

Eight days is a great start and good for you to keep trying!  We all wished we didn’t smoke.  Catherine Pulsifer said “ Rather than wishing for change, you first must be prepared to change.”   This forum is here to help with your change. I suggest reading Allen Carr’s book to help you look at smoking differently.

http://prdupl02.ynet.co.il/ForumFiles_2/15119301.pdf

Susan - not smoking since 10/13/19

Msg 5428.11 deleted
TinyBadger

Jul-4

Hi Kat! Welcome to the forum. I say this a lot, but read the articles and post! I'm a little more than 3 weeks in and this forum has been great. There are newbies like me and people who have been quit more than a year. Reach out, don't be afraid, everyone here is ready to help. I've had ups and downs, but I'm kicking my addiction to the curb and you can too! You've got this!

SusanK1960

Jul-4

Hi DebraAnn,

You are either having a rough spot in your journey or you have been hacked.  This is so unlike you!  I can understand if it is a rough spot. You have been here daily sharing your beautiful pictures. You have been the calm in my storm, and I understand that anger is part of the journey, but be angry at the cigarettes, not yourself and not the people here.  We need you and you need us.  Together we are stronger!

euknight

Jul-4

Welcome Kat,

June 25th!  That is awesome, girl.  Proud of you.  I know how hard those first weeks are as I have just gone through them myself.

If you have not been on the site before it can be a treasure trove and strong support.  Keep a file on all the Education articles you come across.  Marge posts such good ones.  Then a file on encouraging notes from people...that has really helped.  A serious crave kit .  Pledge N.O.P.E daily and post a lot.  Eat and sleep well.

Jeff brought up an interesting point about the stop vs the quit.  This is something I just had to work through.  We probably need to talk more about that, Jeff.  Do you have a quit date yet?  Please let me know.

Anyway Kat, so glad you are here.  Will be glad to help in any way I can.

Peggy

5-8-20

CC to Nope62
In reply toRe: msg 14

Hello everyone,

Found this article some time ago on the NPR (National Public Radio) site.  Dated Nov 30, 2016.    It's esp relevant to those of us who quit in their 60's.  Likewise, younger adults something to think on.  

Public Health:

It's Never Too Late To Quit Smoking, Even In Your 60s

Older people who smoke may think there's no reason to give up the habit. After all, hasn't the damage to their bodies already been done?

But it turns out there's a benefit to quitting even later in life. Research published Wednesday in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine finds that older adults who quit smoking in their 60s had a lower chance of dying in the years that followed than contemporaries who kept smoking.

"It's never too late," says Sarah Nash, an epidemiologist and one of the study's authors.

The results are based on data from more than 160,000 participants older than 70 who were part of the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study. Participants completed questionnaires about their smoking history in 2004 or 2005 and were tracked until the end of 2011 to see who had died.

The study found that it's definitely best to avoid smoking entirely. During the follow-up period, 12 percent of participants who never smoked died, compared to 33 percent of current smokers. And the earlier people quit the better, but there was still a benefit even for late quitters. Of those who quit in their 30s, 16 percent died. In their 40s: 20 percent. In their 50s: 24 percent. And in their 60s: 28 percent.

Still, people who quit in their 60s had a 23 percent lower risk of death during the study than current smokers, says Nash, who conducted the research while she was a fellow at the National Cancer Institute.

One limitation of the study is that the "current smoker" category included anyone who was smoking when they completed the questionnaire, which means it likely included people who went on to quit during the follow-up period. But if that happened to a significant degree, the true mortality gap between people who smoke and those who quit would only be larger.

The researchers also looked at deaths from smoking-related diseases, including lung cancer, heart disease and respiratory infections, and saw similar trends.

The research also reinforces the well-known point that it's important to try to prevent people from picking up the habit in the first place. Most smokers start during their teenage years, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And amon
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message