About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

August 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/25/19 by ModDee; 22582 views.
Loreficent

Sep-15

Ok, Anthony, this is my favorite so far. So meditative and calming, watching the world bring about a new day for us, yes? Something hopeful about watching the sun rise and things around becoming washed in the warming light. 
Keep that light and hope with you today my friend. If the urge strikes, pull this picture up and breathe deeply and remember the dawn...

TinyBadger

Sep-15

I agree with loreficent, keep your breath slow and deep, and remain calm. Don't forget your nrt, either! This is the dawn of your new life, free from smoking and nicotine. You are strong and committed to kicking this thing and I know that if you want this you can have it. You're doing great!

Jatchat

Sep-15

Great idea Lore, it is special that time in the morning, the fishermen launching their boats the police having their morning coffee and this morning a news cameraman where sharing the view, shrouded in mist, it took a while for the sun to appear, but appear it did as evidenced by the photos below.

Thanks for the message,

Still quit

Kind regards

Anthony

Jatchat

Sep-15

Thanks Tiny, I know it is my fight and i'm digging my heals in, going to see the podiatrist and then nurse and doctor all part of my care plan, they're looking after me, as are both you and Lore thanks for your posts. I am sure smoking will be part of the conversation today.

Kind regards

Anthony

TinyBadger

Sep-15

I'm glad you're still quit. You're really holding on this go round and it sounds like you're doing pretty well. How did it go? Keep those lozenges handy, don't forget that you don't want to let that nicodemon sneak up on you. Be prepared and keep it up!

Jatchat

Sep-16

All went well Tiny, the nurse wants to make me a poster boy for their practice because I've lost so much weight, 20Kg so far, and climbing, The Doc said I am doing well, just need to keep off the cigarettes... so will keep on trying. I have to keep busy and focused on quitting, it would be so easy to slip again, I have to be on my guard, so far so good.

Be prepared the scouts motto, I will have to  get more lozenges soon, but that's no problem, I do find they help, the patch does most of the work, I am going to stay on the patch for at least three months I reckon, then we will see whats happening that will take me up to Christmas, so I might stay on them past new years just to make sure, then I'll start reducing anyway I have to last until I see my therapist next week, 'Give me seven days' she said no use shooting to far ahead, one day at a time. Time to sign out.

Take care Tiny

Kind regards

Anthony

Loreficent

Sep-16

Good morning Anthony!

That is great news with the weight loss! Be a poster boy. You’ve earned it! That is something to celebrate and be proud of.

I want to make a suggestion. Here is a Mantra for you: “It would be so easy to slip again smoking AND it would be harder to quit again. The choice is mine alone.”

You have all the tools to make the choice that is healthy for you! Mantra: “I have the power and I am choosing what is healthy for me”. 

There is a free app called “Insight Timer”. It is a meditation app. It shows a map of the world and where people are all over the world. When you get a crave you can log in and see where there are folks all over the world tuning in for health for them. There are mediations for a variety of things; anxiety, stress, sleep, enrichment, etc. There is also a thing called Body Scan which is a technique and practice you may find helpful. You can schedule talks and meditations from a variety of gurus daily. You can put one on your calendar with an alarm and promise yourself when a crave hits that you will wait until after your talk or your meditation. Some of them are only a few minutes long if you like. 
“I am choosing health for me.”

You are stronger than you know. You need to relax and let yourself be strong. It is there. The strength, the desire, the hope, the courage, they are all there right inside of you. Retrain the addict. Don’t tug of war or bargain with it. You have a strong core in there that is able to tell the addict “I know you are there and I am giving you this (fill in blank) and it is your only option” 

Tap into your inner Oak Tree.

• Edited September 16, 2020 9:02 am  by  Loreficent
TinyBadger

Sep-16

I am so proud of you! You're really taking charge of your health and that's definitely a challenge at times. Keep on quitting and those lozenges handy. You do whatever it takes to keep your quit. The holidays may be hard so I'm glad you're preparing now. Preparation is key to success. Don't let this thing pop up when you least suspect it. I'm getting to be a broken record, I think. Anyhoo, you should be very proud of yourself and if you can work on weight I know you can work on quitting. We believe in you! Stay committed to kicking this addiction, and you'll succeed, I just know it!

Jatchat

Sep-17

Thanks Lore,

I like the mantra, will use it and I will tel the demon to b*gger off. 

Into my third day now and keeping myself very busy, did a dawn photo shoot this morning, dumped my gear and went for my walk got back had breakfast and went swimming got back had lunch and then went on Zoom for a grow meeting, now I'm relaxing...its 3:30 pm, going out tonight to photograph the milky way I hope...weather permitting.... just looked outside and it has clouded right over, well maybe Saturday night...Might go and edit some photos now...

Kind regards

Anthony

Two days, 8 hours, 14 minutes and 28 seconds. 93 cigarettes not smoked, saving $126.29. Life saved: 7 hours, 45 minutes.

Loreficent

Sep-17

Good to hear Anthony!

Ahhh...the Milky Way. That will give one perspective, yes? I love the calmness and feeling of somewhat detachment that star gazing brings me. Haven’t seen any stars in over a week here. Too much smoke. Saw the Sun for the first time in about a week this morning briefly. It was red/pink and looked very far away and small. Felt far away too and disappeared pretty quickly. There has been over a million acres burned in my state over the last week or so. I know you can relate to that devastation and sadness. I read a while ago the new growth you were noticing since the fires there. Just always breaks my heart for the creatures. One of my friends lost her house and barn and some animals. Lots of folks I work with have been affected too. The air quality in Portland has been the worst in the world for a week or so too. Been missing my long walks and runs and that is something that I have relied upon to keep me focused on my Quit. I’ll ride it out but will say the last two nights I’ve had to take some shorter walks just to maintain sanity and some semblance of inner balance. Felt like I smoked a pack after and my clothes stink. No nicotine but likely plenty of carcinogens in the air. Ugh. 
Keep your eye on the prize my friend. Hopefully you will see some stars and get some Milky Way pics soon for us!