About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

August 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/25/19 by ModDee; 16840 views.
TinyBadger

Sep-11

It's true, I haven't had any nicotine at all in almost a week. I've been thinking about smoking in the afternoon, not sure why. I didn't smoke at work but for some reason 230 hits and it's time to smoke. Super weird. I'm super glad your bmi went down. My husband is tall and by no means overweight looking but the bmi calls him overweight. It's great that you are coming forward to make healthy changes in your life. Your coach sounds smart- definitely don't slash all your tires! My nutritionist heard me whining one day about making healthy decisions is hard when you just want your darn ice cream, and she said you have to flex your mental muscles. She said I can say that making healthy choices is hard, BUT I'm learning and figuring it out. Healthy choices are hard BUT I'm determined and committed to my health. That sort of thing. She says that in all parts of your life you have to do this. I've been trying my best to be that way, but man it's hard sometimes. I think that quitting does require courage but I think it also requires commitment. To say to yourself  that you don't want to smoke anymore and you am committed to quitting because you will do anything and everything (that is moral and legal, of course) to not smoke. It had to get to that point for me, where I knew that no matter what, I was not smoking again. I would quit every day, smoke and then quit the next day. What a world. I just couldn't do that anymore. I was tired of doing it over and over and I was going to get charged more for my employer s health insurance. I'm a cheapskate, so, you know...I just cannot smoke anymore. I can't. I refuse to die with a cigarette in my hand and I don't want to ever quit again. Starting over sucks. You start the withdrawals and cravings all over again. It hurts, physically and mentally. I think the worst part about restarting is the feeling that you've failed. Eventually, I would get so depressed about the whole thing that I would half-heartedly try or not at all. I did that for years. But this year I can't take it anymore, I just can't restart again. You can do this, I know you can. Pick a quit date, don't be shy, you can do it whenever, no pressure. Then write down a mantra about being committed or determined. You'll be saying this mantra a lot so don't make it too long. Now commit this thing to memory because every time you want to smoke you'll be repeating this again and again. Maybe even out loud. You could also pick a quote or a religious verse that inspires you. Now prepare. You know the drill, use all the tricks we've ingrained in you. Now, your wife seems to not be helping things. It's not her fault, she's just not ready, but having her really close by could be tempting. You'll need to develop a battle plan in regards to being near her. Leave the room or the patio of she's smoking, don't even watch her, that sort of thing. Let me know how this goes. If all you do is smell her, then you won't want to smoke because it's so stinky. Smokers are creatures of habit and if she always smokes after dinner, anticipate that and do the dishes so you won't see her smoke. Or take a walk or what have you. Plan ahead so that the urge to smoke rarely catches you off guard. Be persistent and strong. I believe in you, and I won't stop. 

Jatchat

Sep-12

I smoked like a demon this morning but your post pulled me up, it made so much sense, the smoking started last night, I cleared out the bookshelves of all the books that were here for historical reasons only and put them in containers in the shed, this freed some room for  books that I had double stacked, I was energised by the nicotine, then this morning I did some more cleaning out, and then got stuck into the car cleaning it inside and out, and then I stopped and thought about your post and in it was the missing link the word commitment, that was the word that was missing from my actions, so armed with this I march on, thank you Tiny, another word is like it perseverance which is what I have to maintain, thank you thank you thank you Tiny

Early days yet ,but 7 hours, 3 minutes and 17 seconds. 9 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11.36. Life saved: 45 minutes.

Kind regards

Anthony

Loreficent

Sep-12

Wow Tiny.

What a powerful and insightful testament to the process. Thank you for your time writing this out. I believe there is knowledge and power here for all of us and I found a good amount of validation with it. You are such a force here for all of us.

Yes. Commitment. 

The last few days have tried my patience and calmness with myself. I know that missing my walks is a huge part missing right now. There have been moments where I’ve ranted and whined for sure. I also know I’m sensitive to begin with and things around me have increased what feels like vulnerability. I don’t like it. But...I am committed to this. In the DBT world there is a thing known as “two things can be true at the same time”. If anything, this quit has reinforced that concept for me. In a specific moment, I want to smoke. AND...I am committed to not doing so. 
Thank you Tiny for this. Today it helps me resolve to my commitment. 
Anthony I like how you recognize the missing piece...

TinyBadger

Sep-12

You know I do love me some sun on the water. Beautiful. I know you'll get this my courageous and committed friend. You'll persevere, right? Now tell yourself that as often as you can! You are a victor! Wether you think you can or cannot, you're right. It's all about how you think about things. You are a positive fellow, I know you are, and people who are positive and believe in themselves achieve goals. Do anything, no matter what , not to smoke. I'm not in your time zone, so I'm not always there for you, but remember you have to post an sos and wait for 3 replies before smoking. By the time that happens the urge will pass and someone can help talk you off the ledge. You can do this!

Jatchat

Sep-12

I'm glad you like the pic, 19 hours, 55 minutes and 14 seconds. 25 cigarettes not smoked, saving $32.09. Life saved: 2 hours, 5 minutes.

Hi Tiny, I'm on a roll and did not smoke last night, and have not smoked this morning, Yeah!, We have to keep our hope alive, and my hope is that I will defeat this demon the scourge of the afflicted. I will be doing the fortnightly shop this morning, looks like rain on the horizon, thank you for your timely words that make so much sense. I trust your quit goes from strength to strength and that cravings weaken.

Kind regards

Anthony

TinyBadger

Sep-12

You go! You're doing a bang up job already! You're being positive and that is VERY important to a quit. We are not hoping anymore, Anthony. We are doing. We are quitting, not hoping to quit. We ARE quitting. You are doing this and can do this. Commit to it, say I am doing this right now. I am quitting smoking and I am never going back! I will do anything to not smoke, even if it means I have a few cookies or a beer. Even if it means taking a long nap so I don't have to think about it. No matter what, I am not smoking! Nope, not again! You are a human doing, not a human being! Rock this!

Jatchat

Sep-13

I am doing this right now, quitting and I am craving, i am tired went for a hours walk 8000 steps, ramp it up tomorrow. This is tough, I have not had a lozenge for a while, I will try that, Deep breaths, go for a short walk maybe, First day over, no sweat, see counselor tomorrow GP on  Wednesday, no end of support ....thankstiny we are doing it and  doing it well.

Kind regards

Anthony

TinyBadger

Sep-13

How's it going? Did you make it through?

Jatchat

Sep-13

Yes a big yes, I made it through the cravings, I tuned  in to a relaxation session on U Tube and fell asleep before it had finished, got 8 and a half hrs sleep and got up late for my sunrise photo, but I made it just in time, been for my walk and sadly having to attend a funeral today. But all's good, thanks for inquiring.

One day, 20 hours, 0 minutes and 5 seconds. 56 cigarettes not smoked, saving $70.90. Life saved: 4 hours, 40 minutes.

Kind regards

Anthony

TinyBadger

Sep-13

You are totally doing this! Keep going, take no prisoners! I'm sorry about the funeral. I always have found them stressful so good on you for not smoking. Don't give in now, you're doing so well and remember you do not want have to do this again. This is it, your final quit!